The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I've explained my caution with HCQ a dozen times. 

Which doctor video are you talking about?

Honestly, I am not going to spend any time trying to find all the video's and posts I have seen or people have sent me. I dont have a "need" for everyone to think like me. I just have a little fun here and there posting on the board. I have seen others post on here about Dr's posting. So I am not the only one. There has been numerous postings over the last few months. But you are not really interested in watching anything that contradicts your belief structure. There could be 50 doctors saying they use it and its effective and you along with all other Trump haters would say oh they are just a trump lover- those video's are fake. So why even waste our time? 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, knapplc said:

I posted the studies that show it's not effective. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think what's really interesting is - why do people want this to be a thing? Why push so hard for everyone to believe that HCQ is an effective treatment for a disease it's not designed to treat, when it's really only being pushed by one bloated orange guy with no medical knowledge and a dodgy history of being wrong in the past?

Are you racist against orange people and bigoted about people with a weight problem? OFM. "Orange Feelings Matter". I am pretty sure most of the cast of Jersey Shore would take offense to mocking people of orange tinted skin. 

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Are you racist against orange people and bigoted about people with a weight problem? OFM. "Orange Feelings Matter". I am pretty sure most of the cast of Jersey Shore would take offense to mocking people of orange tinted skin. 

Oompa loompa isn't a real race so I'm not sure people exist on this planet with natural orange skin 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Oompa loompa isn't a real race so I'm not sure people exist on this planet with natural orange skin 

Light skin toned people who perhaps tan a lot would have an orange tint to their skin. I would say the people on Jersey Shore as an example tan all year- thus they are orange all year. 

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Light skin toned people who perhaps tan a lot would have an orange tint to their skin. I would say the people on Jersey Shore as an example tan all year- thus they are orange all year. 

Orange skinned people are f#&%ing idiots. Tanning causes cancer. They look this way because they’re morons. But with Trump it’s way too much make up. He’s also a moron. 

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

That is a result of artificial tanning 

• Plus1 2
51 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Honestly, I am not going to spend any time trying to find all the video's and posts I have seen or people have sent me. I dont have a "need" for everyone to think like me. I just have a little fun here and there posting on the board. I have seen others post on here about Dr's posting. So I am not the only one. There has been numerous postings over the last few months. But you are not really interested in watching anything that contradicts your belief structure. There could be 50 doctors saying they use it and its effective and you along with all other Trump haters would say oh they are just a trump lover- those video's are fake. So why even waste our time? 

Some of the videos posted here from "docotrs" have been from questionable sources. I can remember one from a source that worked at an urgent care clinic. Not an ER or ICU where these patients are typically treated. Some I think aren't even MDs.

Knap's skepticism doesn't come from hatred, it's from an abundance of caution and the smell test. There's only one particular camp pushing HC and it isn't the infectious disease experts; infact those are he people cautioning against it's use. Why don't we want to listen to the people who job and expertise are to understand and eradicate these viruses? They don't have a hidden agenda like a politician might. Sure HC might have benefits for some people, just like essential oils have some benefit for people, but in reality all the clinical trials that have been done so far don't show any meaningful benefit to taking the drug. Science isn't perfect but there is reasoning there, not blind hope.

• Plus1 3

From the studies I've seen, and the people on the frontlines I've spoken to, if HCQ could help, it would be early in the process, as an antiviral - combined with the right drugs. There is a downside though, prescribed too late and you are adding the adverse side effects to the body, while covid (Immune Response) is already attacking those same organs - so you're making things significantly worse. If you think about the type of patients coming to the hospital are past the stage an antiviral would be effective, if you add HCQ to the mix you are adding stress to the heart and kidneys, and most likely getting very little benefit. At best HCQ is a tool that could be effective early in the process, at the Physicians discretion. 

If you think about what Covid does to the body, at the point someone is in bad shape (Heart, Lung, Kidney) it's not the virus that's causing it at that point. Sure the virus started it, but it's our immune response TO the virus. So an antiviral does little good at that point. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Why don't we want to listen to the people who job and expertise are to understand and eradicate these viruses? They don't have a hidden agenda like a politician might.

It's one of the oddest things that so many people are claiming the scientists have a political agenda but the politician telling them that doesn't.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

From the studies I've seen, and the people on the frontlines I've spoken to, if HCQ could help, it would be early in the process, as an antiviral - combined with the right drugs. There is a downside though, prescribed too late and you are adding the adverse side effects to the body, while covid (Immune Response) is already attacking those same organs - so you're making things significantly worse. If you think about the type of patients coming to the hospital are past the stage an antiviral would be effective, if you add HCQ to the mix you are adding stress to the heart and kidneys, and most likely getting very little benefit. At best HCQ is a tool that could be effective early in the process, at the Physicians discretion. 

If you think about what Covid does to the body, at the point someone is in bad shape (Heart, Lung, Kidney) it's not the virus that's causing it at that point. Sure the virus started it, but it's our immune response TO the virus. So an antiviral does little good at that point. 

Great post. I think that's one thing people don't always understand thoroughly. Most of the damage done is actually done by your own body trying to attack the virus. 

I said I wouldn’t look up old posts and I won’t. But here is an article I just saw by chance. He says it is an effective treatment when used early. Just read the article- not everything is fake. 

https://www.thedesertreview.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/local-doctor-pushing-proven-treatment-of-covid-into-national-debate/article_ca59497a-c539-11ea-8943-4f707d6ebc1a.html?fbclid=IwAR3Fhc0GdwsfcdZ7cHTBZMQrF1Vv1UyiKOS86d7OQBzbFfnYeSNGZrXb8fg

He admits it doesn’t help once disease is advanced. Which is what the trials mostly tested that said it didn’t work. But if it could help people from getting it or have a more mild case why not look into it more 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I said I wouldn’t look up old posts and I won’t. But here is an article I just saw by chance. He says it is an effective treatment when used early. Just read the article- not everything is fake. 

https://www.thedesertreview.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/local-doctor-pushing-proven-treatment-of-covid-into-national-debate/article_ca59497a-c539-11ea-8943-4f707d6ebc1a.html?fbclid=IwAR3Fhc0GdwsfcdZ7cHTBZMQrF1Vv1UyiKOS86d7OQBzbFfnYeSNGZrXb8fg

"Despite the characterization in the mainstream media as the drug being “ineffective” and “dangerous,” the evidence in the literature tells a different story. I am not only an “MD,” but a former Harvard Medical School assistant professor and UCLA School of Medicine associate professor as well and am very competent at evaluating studies. There is ample evidence now that the HCQ cocktail is effective and there is no good evidence that there are significant side effects."

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

He admits it doesn’t help once disease is advanced. Which is what the trials mostly tested that said it didn’t work. But if it could help people from getting it or have a more mild case why not look into it more 

Decreasing the viral load early would be the goal. But Doc's have to weigh the options. What if it's not early enough and I'm doubling down on the damage to the heart, lungs and kidneys? Remdesivir seems to be a safer option than HCQ, but it's less available, harder to produce and more expensive. In a perfect world a safer Anti Viral like Remdesivir combined with an immunosuppressant like Dexamethasone would be a good combo (probably the most common combo used in hospitals now, if available). Still nothing is a silver bullet at this time, unfortunately.