The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

I did not know this about Ford. 

But would it surprise anyone even the tiniest amount if Trump rushed an unproven, potentially unsafe vaccine to production solely for political reasons? He's doing the same thing right now with plasma treatment right now so he has something to talk about during the RNC this week. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Okay, this is f#cking insane. We're in Columbus and the MIL talked us into going out for breakfast at Stack & Steak. There are absolutely no rules being followed. Place is packed, literally shoulder to shoulder and I have not seen anyone, staff or patron, wearing a mask at any point.

Asked our server about it and she didn't know anything, said it's up to each individual business. I looked up the specific DHM for Platte county Nebraska and they're supposed to be at 50% capacity and maintaining 6' distancing among other directives. I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette with 5 loaded chambers. Pray for us.

What is a Stack and Steak???

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trump-pushes-covid-19-treatments-175709089.html

President Donald Trump on announced emergency authorization to treat COVID-19 patients with convalescent plasma — a move he called “a breakthrough,” one of his top health officials called “promising” and other health experts said needs more study before it's celebrated.

The announcement came after White House officials complained there were politically motivated delays by the Food and Drug Administration in approving a vaccine and therapeutics for the disease that has upended Trump’s reelection chances.

On the eve of the Republican National Convention, Trump put himself at the center of the FDA's announcement of the authorization at a news conference Sunday evening. The authorization makes it easier for some patients to obtain the treatment but is not the same as full FDA approval.

The blood plasma, taken from patients who have recovered from the coronavirus and rich in antibodies, may provide benefits to those battling the disease. But the evidence so far has not been conclusive about whether it works, when to administer it and what dose is needed.

In a letter describing the emergency authorization, the chief scientist for the FDA, Denise Hinton, said: “COVID-19 convalescent plasma should not be considered a new standard of care for the treatment of patients with COVID-19. Additional data will be forthcoming from other analyses and ongoing, well-controlled clinical trials in the coming months.”

But Trump had made clear to aides that he was eager to showcase good news in the battle against the virus, and the timing allowed him to head into his convention with momentum. He and aides billed it as a “major" development and used the White House briefing room to make the announcement.

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This should be bone-chilling s#!t but it's everyday s#!t now. They will ridicule all intellectuals and scientists who don't say what they want to hear or what they want the people to hear. The FDA is trying to protect us.

I remember about 4 years ago Trump saying he doesn't understand why we need food safety regulation or monitoring.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This should be bone-chilling s#!t but it's everyday s#!t now. They will ridicule all intellectuals and scientists who don't say what they want to hear or what they want the people to hear. The FDA is trying to protect us.

I remember about 4 years ago Trump saying he doesn't understand why we need food safety regulation or monitoring.

The thing is...they should not need food safety regulation.  Like, what kind of nutjob thinks that adding borax to meat is a safe effective way to keep it from being noticeably spoiled.  

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We've officially gotten to the point where we have to wonder whether official government advice regarding medical treatments, vaccines, etc. are legitimate or politically motivated.

This is the type of s#!t that happens in tinpot dictatorship countries like Russia. Not supposed to happen here.

I hope everyone does whatever they can to help ensure Trump loses this fall, whether it's formal canvassing against him or talking to friends and family, whatever. If these people get a second term this type of behavior is only going to get worse because they know they won't be held accountable.

6 hours ago, teachercd said:

What is a Stack and Steak???

It's a breakfast/home cookin' type place. The "stack" would be a stack of pancakes. I'm not sure about the steak...maybe chicken fried steak. Decent breakfast place.

If they keep up what they're doing it's going to be a stack of Covid cases.

• Haha 1

RE: Trump's FDA's utterly mischaracterized 37% #:

Plasma didn't save 37 out of 100 patients.

(11.9 - 8.7)/8.7 = 37% reduction in mortality rate

It's really bewildering that so many people don't give a f#&% about this kind of lie. This is the FDA getting politicized.

• Plus1 3