The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

My wife is a nurse in Omaha and her mother is one in Lincoln. 

They shared numbers released by metro area hospitals.  Apparently the Metro area hospitals are at 93% meaning only 25 ICU beds are currently available in the city of Omaha, and St. Elizabeth in Lincoln is mandating overtime for the rest of the year because of staffing shortages.

Flu season doesn't kick into "high"  gear for another 60-90 days...

A lot of rural Nebraska with no mask mandates might want to rethink things as they already make up a decent portion of the occupants and really don't have any place to go besides Lincoln and Omaha.  Not to mention, OPS is on the verge of opening things back up.

I teach.  Two months ago I didn't think we'd get past Labor Day.  Then things actually started to look okay and I felt we might make it through with strict mask and quarantining due to tracing; masks are still on, but quarantining has been strictly reduced.  Now the feeling is Thanksgiving break might as well be our "end of the year" send off.  

Part of me also feels that even though we have officials saying we need to practices mitigation methods, the powers that be are actually okay with the "herd immunity" strategy.  We closed schools in March because of a couple cases of community spread and the concern of strain on healthcare.  Now, the strain is real and there is far more than 2 cases of community spread.  Pretty interesting to watch it play out.

• Plus1 3

Oklahoma is now heating back up.  Sept was an all time high in hospitalizations and cases.   OKC hospitals have had to transfer patients from OKC to Tulsa hospitals - where one of my sons works at a physical therapist and his wife as a part time nurse. 

14 hours ago, funhusker said:

My wife is a nurse in Omaha and her mother is one in Lincoln. 

They shared numbers released by metro area hospitals.  Apparently the Metro area hospitals are at 93% meaning only 25 ICU beds are currently available in the city of Omaha, and St. Elizabeth in Lincoln is mandating overtime for the rest of the year because of staffing shortages.

Flu season doesn't kick into "high"  gear for another 60-90 days...

A lot of rural Nebraska with no mask mandates might want to rethink things as they already make up a decent portion of the occupants and really don't have any place to go besides Lincoln and Omaha.  Not to mention, OPS is on the verge of opening things back up.

I teach.  Two months ago I didn't think we'd get past Labor Day.  Then things actually started to look okay and I felt we might make it through with strict mask and quarantining due to tracing; masks are still on, but quarantining has been strictly reduced.  Now the feeling is Thanksgiving break might as well be our "end of the year" send off.  

Part of me also feels that even though we have officials saying we need to practices mitigation methods, the powers that be are actually okay with the "herd immunity" strategy.  We closed schools in March because of a couple cases of community spread and the concern of strain on healthcare.  Now, the strain is real and there is far more than 2 cases of community spread.  Pretty interesting to watch it play out.

Yeah, I also didn't think we would make it past Labor Day.  

I guess I don't get it though, I have not seen anyone without a mask in months, everywhere I go everyone is masked up, same at school.  So, why is it getting worse?  

Is it just college kids that have been spreading it?  Maybe k-12 schools are not doing as good of a job as they think they are?  

I don't know, I don't get it.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I guess I don't get it though, I have not seen anyone without a mask in months, everywhere I go everyone is masked up, same at school.  So, why is it getting worse?  

Is it just college kids that have been spreading it?  Maybe k-12 schools are not doing as good of a job as they think they are?  

I, too, am in the "didn't count on things past Labor Day" crowd. I'm as puzzled too as to why things are getting worse. It could be a combo of schools/colleges being back in session and large-scale events (such as Labor Day gatherings) that have acted as Super Spreader-type events. 

It sure would help matters if OPD would stop skirting their responsibilities and start enforcing the mandate in Omaha, though. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I, too, am in the "didn't count on things past Labor Day" crowd. I'm as puzzled too as to why things are getting worse. It could be a combo of schools/colleges being back in session and large-scale events (such as Labor Day gatherings) that have acted as Super Spreader-type events. 

It sure would help matters if OPD would stop skirting their responsibilities and start enforcing the mandate in Omaha, though. 

We have had very few cases so far and I hope we stay in school but I do wonder now if Thanksgiving Break (Or GENOCIDE BREAK!!!) will be the end of regular school and the start of virtual school.  The thing is, once we go all online, we are not coming back this year.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I see a lot of half-assed mask wearing.  Not over the nose, not tight fitting, relatively ineffective neck gaiters, etc.   I think this coupled with the fact that we’re getting lax with the whole distancing thing by opening up is contributing to the steady rise.  

Masks are very important, but they should be an effective mask, worn correctly, and combined with good distancing practices.  It’s hard to get an entire population to do that.  Plus many get somewhat of a false sense of security with just masks.   Don’t go out somewhere unless you really need to.  

Just my theory anyway.   

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I see a lot of half-assed mask wearing.  Not over the nose, not tight fitting, relatively ineffective neck gaiters, etc.   I think this coupled with the fact that we’re getting lax with the whole distancing thing by opening up is contributing to the steady rise.  

Masks are very important, but they should be an effective mask, worn correctly, and combined with good distancing practices.  It’s hard to get an entire population to do that.  Plus many get somewhat of a false sense of security with just masks.   Don’t go out somewhere unless you really need to.  

Just my theory anyway.   

Yeah, the distancing part is spot on.  I think the mask does give people a false sense of security in that regard. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Just my theory anyway.   

If the alleged large increase in positives is because of improper mask usage, and not no mask/refuse to wear a mask...then we are in big trouble. 

Honestly everything has become much more lax. People are going to bars, people are going to restaurants, people are having parties, people are having weddings. I see a lot of HS football games with full stands. I see parks and zoos full of folks. The contact created by schools certainly will contribute. 

We went from people nervous to go anywhere in Spring, to cautiously doing some things like outside parties and patios in the Summer, to f#&% it - I'm sick of it - in the Fall. I completely get it, I'm guilty of it it myself. But with people being less cautious will in turn create more cases.

• Plus1 2