The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, jaws said:

If pfizer's vaccine is truly 90% effective, can the government get behind some more moonshots? This might be the only thing that Trump really got right with COVID (takes cover for giving him some credit).

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
46 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Ugh. I know it's coming and probably necessary, but I dread going back to remote learning with my kids.

Haha...I think every parent is dreading that!

Two things all parents can agree on is that they need a break from their kids and that they don't actually remember math past the 5th grade.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's pretty incredible. What would that cost Pfizer? Are they going to be recompensed for the rollout?

EDIT - looks like they will be recompensed for this. 

The name "operation warp speed" still cracks me up. Again, the moonshot approach and the compensation in all of this seems to be a good approach. 

Big pharma and the government working together. If proven safe, how many will be wiling to take it? The messaging needs to be right the first time around on. I know people on the left and right that do not take any vaccinations because they don't trust them. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Haha...I think every parent is dreading that!

Two things all parents can agree on is that they need a break from their kids and that they don't actually remember math past the 5th grade.

I don't have either of those issues. Mine is simply logistics and emotions. My 5yo is in kindergarten and needs someone to sit with her throughout the entire day because she can't read any of the instructions or buttons or menus on the computer, can't tell time for when things are starting, and can't sit still. (And don't even get me started on the school trying to do remote PE with kindergartners.) My 10yo is in 4th grade, and while he can operate the computer and handle most of the tasks, he's not emotionally capable of handling anything that doesn't go according to plan. I had to spend an hour one day getting him calm enough to figure out why he was having a meltdown - he'd forgotten to email an assignment on time. So I end up trying to get him calm once or twice a day (and he has amazing ability to need me exactly during the most pressing meeting I have).

And I'm super privileged in that both my wife and I can work from home. I can't even imagine how other families manage it.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, jaws said:

The name "operation warp speed" still cracks me up. Again, the moonshot approach and the compensation in all of this seems to be a good approach. 

Big pharma and the government working together. If proven safe, how many will be wiling to take it? The messaging needs to be right the first time around on. I know people on the left and right that do not take any vaccinations because they don't trust them. 

I've already had a handful of people tell me that they will NEVER take it "cuz Bill Gates is tracking our brains and controlling the population with this stuff!" 

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I don't have either of those issues. Mine is simply logistics and emotions. My 5yo is in kindergarten and needs someone to sit with her throughout the entire day because she can't read any of the instructions or buttons or menus on the computer, can't tell time for when things are starting, and can't sit still. (And don't even get me started on the school trying to do remote PE with kindergartners.) My 10yo is in 4th grade, and while he can operate the computer and handle most of the tasks, he's not emotionally capable of handling anything that doesn't go according to plan. I had to spend an hour one day getting him calm enough to figure out why he was having a meltdown - he'd forgotten to email an assignment on time. So I end up trying to get him calm once or twice a day (and he has amazing ability to need me exactly during the most pressing meeting I have).

And I'm super privileged in that both my wife and I can work from home. I can't even imagine how other families manage it.

Remote PE!!!!  Oh man!