The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Schools here in Omaha starting to talk about closing down.

I think most are tying to make it to the end of the semester but right now the little kids schools are the issue.  We are talking 10-15% of the student body of these K-5 and 6-8 and K-8 schools being out each day.  

Get ready for a lock down and get ready for some Uncle Joe Cash!

Our secretary just sent out an email saying she hopes to get us the "list" of new remote learners by the end of the day as she is continually fielding calls and getting people the information.  And another teacher is currently out awaiting results because he is showing symptoms.  We are running out of kids and teachers pretty quick out here in West O.

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Our secretary just sent out an email saying she hopes to get us the "list" of new remote learners by the end of the day as she is continually fielding calls and getting people the information.  And another teacher is currently out awaiting results because he is showing symptoms.  We are running out of kids and teachers pretty quick out here in West O.

Yep...Kind of the same boat here at my school.

We are all in but each day I have a good 5-10 students that are learning from home.  

I sort of think that right now every school/district is just waiting for someone else to do it first.  Once that first school does it, the rest will feel like they can do it too.

I know my principal gets non-stop calls and emails from the super crazies on both sides.  

On 11/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, GSG said:

Scottsbluff, Nebraska one of the top 10 for number of cases per resident! 

Screenshot_20201113-214859_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e0b4a1fdba08844f0f03aa664a20a9db.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html#hotspots

Officials from the hospital are calling on the mayors to issue mask mandates:  

https://kneb.com/regional-news/regional-west-calling-on-mayors-to-issue-mask-mandate/

And the cities respond with:

• Some government facilities are closed to the public
• Masks are required in some public facilities
• Social distancing health guidelines are required in all public facilities
• Encourage public to use online options
• Recommend using payment drop boxes to minimize person to person contact
• Updated signage/decals to continue COVID-19 awareness, masking, social distancing
• Some facilities are screening and doing questionnaires for employees

https://kneb.com/regional-news/city-leaders-respond-to-request-for-mask-mandate/

23 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I lol'd when I got to "they stop yelling at you when they get intubated".

Seriously, I don't have any sympathy for people who get the virus and then still claim it's a hoax and yell at their healthcare providers. They need to have them sign a legal disclaimer and waiver and then release them to a rec room in the basement where they can all stay together quarantined until they die or checkout okay. No healthcare provided in the rec room, masks and distancing optional.

57 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I lol'd when I got to "they stop yelling at you when they get intubated".

Seriously, I don't have any sympathy for people who get the virus and then still claim it's a hoax and yell at their healthcare providers. They need to have them sign a legal disclaimer and waiver and then release them to a rec room in the basement where they can all stay together quarantined until they die or checkout okay. No healthcare provided in the rec room, masks and distancing optional.

I have an acquaintance who tested positive for Covid and is in the hospital right now. She's in her 70s. She made a FB post in March making fun of the libs who are concerned with the virus. The way her family is framing it is she has pneumonia. And she actually does have pneumonia but I kinda wonder if she's willing to admit she has Covid. I think if she gets better she might just say she had pneumonia and that was it the whole time.

18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I have an acquaintance who tested positive for Covid and is in the hospital right now. She's in her 70s. She made a FB post in March making fun of the libs who are concerned with the virus. The way her family is framing it is she has pneumonia. And she actually does have pneumonia but I kinda wonder if she's willing to admit she has Covid. I think if she gets better she might just say she had pneumonia and that was it the whole time.

I'd just ask her how she "got" pneumonia if you wanted to press the issue.  A person doesn't "catch" pneumonia, they catch a virus or bacteria that causes the pneumonia.

I'd probably just let it go though...

• Thanks 2
51 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This gives me an idea for a Black Mirror episode. Maybe a person's social media posts should stick with them in all situations. In this case, I'm thinking make them acknowledge on social media how they were wrong before treating them.

Seriously though, if we made people responsible for their idiocy and poor choices of news sources, maybe it would be less of a problem.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

This gives me an idea for a Black Mirror episode. Maybe a person's social media posts should stick with them in all situations. In this case, I'm thinking make them acknowledge on social media how they were wrong before treating them.

Seriously though, if we made people responsible for their idiocy and poor choices of news sources, maybe it would be less of a problem.

I like that.

But....that's not the compassionate thing to do.  It would be tough, but my Christian (no, you don't have to be a Christian to feel this way so no need to go there.) morals would say I would still need to treat them.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I like that.

But....that's not the compassionate thing to do.  It would be tough, but my Christian (no, you don't have to be a Christian to feel this way so no need to go there.) morals would say I would still need to treat them.

I'm not sure what my morals would dictate but my head and heart say it sure would be justice to make people responsible for the crap they profess and spew.