The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, commando said:

i don't understand how people think kids can't catch covid and spread it around to parents, neighbors, teachers, etc.   a virus doesn't care how old or young you are.   if this virus does it's the first virus to ever act that way.  being young may help you avoid the worst effects...but that doesn't spare mom and dad.  grandma or grandpa.    or anyone else of the people out wondering around without masks like most of nebraska does,

Just follow the science of Covid-19 spread in schools and you will figure this out.  Listen to Fauci, especially his recent interviews.  It will help 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Fauci was saying that getting kids back into school is a higher priority than gyms or bars or restaurants being open. It was more about picking which risks we should be taking.

Fauci said authorities should 'close the bars and keep the schools open' to cut down on coronavirus infection spread

He also said children do not contribute much to the community spread

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Just follow the science of Covid-19 spread in schools and you will figure this out.  Listen to Fauci, especially his recent interviews.  It will help 

our small town school currently has 90 kids and some teachers out.   i think the spread is real and it's here.  my niece and nephew both have it.

• Plus1 1

or anyone else of the people out wondering around without masks like most of nebraska does,

This might have been accurate during the summer, but it is not accurate any longer. I would say 75-80% are masking up in public now.  10/11 (or Bill Schammert) had a Tweet or Poll. let me see if I can find it. 

Just now, DevoHusker said:

This might have been accurate during the summer, but it is not accurate any longer. I would say 75-80% are masking up in public now.  10/11 (or Bill Schammert) had a Tweet or Poll. let me see if I can find it. 

i am in small town nebraska.   masks are very rare here.   i walked into the hardware store yesterday.   there were 6 people in there.  i was the only 1 wearing a mask.

5 minutes ago, commando said:

our small town school currently has 90 kids and some teachers out.   i think the spread is real and it's here.  my niece and nephew both have it.

Out for contract tracing or out for actual infections?  If your school has high spread related to schools that would make for a unique case study. 

Multiple studies have shown very limited spread traced back to schools.  So if schools are not the problem, keep them open.

hope your niece and nephew are well.   

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The stats on school spread tell a scientific story that schools should be open.  Fauci agreed, WHO agrees, CDC agrees

First, some links to support your claims would be appreciated even though I think you are correct.

Second, saying schools should be open is not the same as saying schools don't contribute much to the spread. It's possible schools do contribute to the spread, but the risk might be worth it for the reward of kids being in school. And the situation is fluid, so that guidance might change in different school districts depending on conditions there at the time.

37 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

First, some links to support your claims would be appreciated even though I think you are correct.

Second, saying schools should be open is not the same as saying schools don't contribute much to the spread. It's possible schools do contribute to the spread, but the risk might be worth it for the reward of kids being in school. And the situation is fluid, so that guidance might change in different school districts depending on conditions there at the time.

All the scientific agencies are saying schools do not contribute to spread in a meaningful way.  Basically the contract tracing studies are saying the kids who do catch Covid are catching in in the community and not catching it while at the actual school building.  

• Plus1 1

i am in small town nebraska.   masks are very rare here.   i walked into the hardware store yesterday.   there were 6 people in there.  i was the only 1 wearing a mask.

Another example of Nebraskans NOT doing the right thing.   Contrary to what the Gov repeatedly says he’s counting on.  

10 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

School is face to face contact.  They're just saying to keep them open because the kids have already missed so much...not because kids don't spread disease.

Not true.

they are actually saying there is minimal to no spread inside the school building.  They are saying school is a safe place to learn. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Logic, science and common sense dictates that a disease spread by face to face contact could be slowed by not having face to face contact.  There's no debate that this is the case.

Not sure what everyone is arguing about. 

School is face to face contact.  They're just saying to keep them open because the kids have already missed so much...not because kids don't spread disease.

Children seem to contract and spread the virus (to each other) at lower rates than adults.  We don’t know why that is.  But, yes it still can put parents and grandparents at risk.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Out for contract tracing or out for actual infections?  If your school has high spread related to schools that would make for a unique case study. 

Multiple studies have shown very limited spread traced back to schools.  So if schools are not the problem, keep them open.

hope your niece and nephew are well.   

I know someone who works in a very large HS in Kansas.  He said the school is vastly under reporting actual cases.  Now, these obviously would be still counted in the state/national positive cases.  But, if they are keeping stats from reports from schools, it's being under reported.

17 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Logic, science and common sense dictates that a disease spread by face to face contact could be slowed by not having face to face contact.  There's no debate that this is the case.

Not sure what everyone is arguing about. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/21/925794511/were-the-risks-of-reopening-schools-exaggerated
"Where you see cases on the rise in a neighborhood, in a county, we see that tend to be reflected in a school," Dickson said. "[But] we're not seeing spread by virtue of being in school”

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

update39-covid-and-schools.pdf?sfvrsn=32

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1