The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know someone who works in a very large HS in Kansas.  He said the school is vastly under reporting actual cases.  Now, these obviously would be still counted in the state/national positive cases.  But, if they are keeping stats from reports from schools, it's being under reported.

I have kids in a large school district in KS and the Covid dashboard is pretty low.  And that only shows total infections.  Not just infections traced to school spread.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, commando said:

it's a festivus miracle.  kids can't spread this virus!   they can only catch it from older people!   it's amazing that flu and other viruses always go up in the fall....right when school starts....but the covid virus won't spread among the kids.

Maybe it’s the mandatory mask wearing on the school campus, combined with the mitigation policies the schools have in place, combined with the data showing kids don’t seem to transmit the virus like other viruses.  Or in other words, Science.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Not disputing what your friend says but how does he know that people are contracting the disease in school?  

He doesn't....and I'm not saying they are either.  I'm just simply saying that there's more cases in the schools than is being reported.  

Now, our small town in Nebraska has had a number of cases and they are very particular about kids who have it are at home and any kid who has contact with him/her goes home immediately and is either tested or is quarantined to see if they get symptoms.

It's very possible that our school is controlling it way better than the general population by these measures.  So, it's very well could be that kids can get it just as easily as anyone else, but they are in an environment that is doing what is needed to control it....not like the general public.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe it’s the mandatory mask wearing on the school campus, combined with the mitigation policies the schools have in place, combined with the data showing kids don’t seem to transmit the virus like other viruses.  Or in other words, Science.  

This is dead on.  We wear masks all day.  We sanitize desks between every class.  We social distance everywhere.  Kids aren't allowed to loiter in hallways during passing periods or before and after school.  And kids that show any symptoms are sent home immediately.  I feel pretty good about it.

That said, I know for 100% certainty that my building under-reports the positive cases in our building.  My district reports positive cases, contract tracing quarantines, and confirmed spread in school.  I can't say the numbers signifying the "school spread" is wrong, I have no way of knowing.  But I 100% know that we are under reporting our "overall" cases.  I live in a neighborhood that is within my buildings boundary.  There were more kids in my neighborhood alone that were positive than listed on our dashboard.  The reason: one set of parents were keeping the kids home anyways and the "school didn't need to know".  They just assumed the school would know they were positive when they called out for 2 weeks.  This isn't how it works.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with this, but I question the bolded part.

I believe they aren't transmitting it because of what you said in the rest of your post....not that they are some form of biological freak.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with this, but I question the bolded part.

I believe they aren't transmitting it because of what you said in the rest of your post....not that they are some form of biological freak.

They can and do transmit it, but not like other viruses at those same rates.   Red Denver posted a video clip from Fauci today saying just this. 

I’m really not trying to make an argument or say something to be a contrarian.  It is legitimately in the scientific data.  And age within then childhood spectrum seems to matter some with this too.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, commando said:

it's a festivus miracle.  kids can't spread this virus!   they can only catch it from older people!   it's amazing that flu and other viruses always go up in the fall....right when school starts....but the covid virus won't spread among the kids.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

Interesting article on some theories of why the data is showing spread is lower in children especially pre-teen.

This isn't the flu so it's not surprising it may not spread in the same way.  

• Plus1 1

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

Face to face contact is how a disease spreads.

School has face to face contact.

This isn't rocket surgery.  Anywhere people gather together in close proximity can cause spread of a contagious disease.

You going to argue that disease doesn't spread with face to face contact?  Have at it.

I’m not, but Fauci and the other scientists seem to be arguing that 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Face to face contact is how a disease spreads.

School has face to face contact.

This isn't rocket surgery.  Anywhere people gather together in close proximity can cause spread of a contagious disease.

You going to argue that disease doesn't spread with face to face contact?  Have at it.

I'm sure there is spread.  It makes sense.

But the "rate" of spread in schools is way lower than rates at bars, restaurants, and other social gatherings where people aren't observing proper mitigation methods like mask wearing and social distancing.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

We have no data on contact tracing...and since it can be spread asymptomatic, it may be that kids actually spread the disease more than normal...we have no data points.

We do know that contagious disease can be spread via face to face contact.

You are correct on lack of data.  Less spread among kids is just observational. 

• Plus1 1