The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

20 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I can't find a timeline for the original prediction. I seem to remember it being for a year from March to March but that's just my memory.

I thought I remembered those predictions being for if we didn't do anything to stop the pandemic. I could be thinking of a different source but 500k is the number I've held in my mind since mid-March. I used that number to try and convince my mother that the pandemic is to be taken seriously. Funny how we are rapidly approaching it and half the country doesn't care.

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

What a great f#&%ing healthcare system!

If she ran out of sick days and got fired, that’s an indictment on her employer not the healthcare system. 

Was she being treated up to the point of her unfortunate death?  Poster doesn’t say.  If so, how is that an indictment on the healthcare system?  

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If she ran out of sick days and got fired, that’s an indictment on her employer not the healthcare system. 

Was she being treated up to the point of her unfortunate death?  Poster doesn’t say.  If so, how is that an indictment on the healthcare system?  

Because our system is based on employer based health insurance in order to afford care. If someone loses their job, or gets sick and gets fired in her case, they lose their ability to afford healthcare. Now not only does her family have to grieve her death, but also probably pay off medical bills for years on end. That is a terrible and f#&%ed up system that only happens in the US and if you think its a good system than I feel sorry for you.

• Plus1 4
43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You heard correctly 

The system as a whole and the care you receive are two different things. You can think the care is the best in the world and the doctors are the best in world (still debateable if you ask me), but what the f#&% does it matter of people cant afford to go to these doctors. In my opinion, a system that turns people away for inability to pay is not great care.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Because our system is based on employer based health insurance in order to afford care. If someone loses their job, or gets sick and gets fired in her case, they lose their ability to afford healthcare. Now not only does her family have to grieve her death, but also probably pay off medical bills for years on end. That is a terrible and f#&%ed up system that only happens in the US and if you think its a good system than I feel sorry for you.

I don't know much about the medical bills part, like if that's different than family paying off other stuff. But a word of advice I have is to not do joint credit cards for big expenses. If both names aren't on it the spouse won't have to pay any of it back. If I make it to like 85 or 90 I'm gonna start doing hard drugs and also max out all of my credit cards. 

• Haha 1