The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

yes, supply is the most important aspect.  But, as was mentioned yesterday by the administration, it's not just the supply of vaccine.  It's everything that's needed to administer the injections like syringes, PPE, staff, organization, logistics...etc.  Many of those aspects have sucked.

Those were never part of the paper Republicans are trying to retcon into a "plan."

1.6 million people were vaccinated yesterday - great! That shows the determination of the American people to put this mess behind us. Because despite any  coherent response from trump, the actual medical professionals and those who care, community to community, are trying to get this done.

Imagine how much better this all could have been if we'd had a strong top-down organizational effort from Day One.

• Plus1 3

14 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Right, but he did it...because it will do more to help than to hinder.

ONCE AGAIN...WHY DIDN'T TRUMP DO THIS A LONG TIME AGO FOR MASKS, OXYGEN, and MEDICAL SUPPLIES in addition TO THE VACCINE?

It's worth answering @Archy1221 unless your ego won't let you appear to be wrong or appear to capitulate to someone you feel superior to.

Trump should have in the very beginning for masks and medical gowns.  Didn’t realize the US ran low on Oxygen, will have to check that out.  

He did do that for Vent’s which we ended up not needing fortunately. 

BTW..I don’t feel superior to you,  though you thinking that way may be the reason for the animosity towards me.  I figure everyone here is no better or worse than anyone else.  Just different opinions and ideas on how to approach things. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Because I was once able to dunk a basketball (assuming I could travel with the ball, one handed only, starting at the free throw line and taking 4 steps and even the fans had to be turned off or it was just extra force that would prevent me from dunking) I feel that I am better than most of you on here.

• Haha 2

Are we seriously arguing about if we should keep vaccinating at an amazing rate? Of course we should, and if at all possible speed it up.

Logistically there is no doubt we will hit a plateau sometime soon. There's quite a lot involved in the distribution as anyone in logistics knows. Supplies, transport, man power, manufacturing times, inspection, inventory, traceability, etc. Plus things are going to go wrong and break, they just will. Then all that is complicated with the fact that everyone needs 2 doses within 21 days so you can't run out.

• Plus1 2

52 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Because I was once able to dunk a basketball (assuming I could travel with the ball, one handed only, starting at the free throw line and taking 4 steps and even the fans had to be turned off or it was just extra force that would prevent me from dunking) I feel that I am better than most of you on here.

8 foot rim?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Are we seriously arguing about if we should keep vaccinating at an amazing rate? Of course we should, and if at all possible speed it up.

Logistically there is no doubt we will hit a plateau sometime soon. There's quite a lot involved in the distribution as anyone in logistics knows. Supplies, transport, man power, manufacturing times, inspection, inventory, traceability, etc. Plus things are going to go wrong and break, they just will. Then all that is complicated with the fact that everyone needs 2 doses within 21 days so you can't run out.

The US averages roughly 3 million flu vaccine injections a day during flu season without hitting capacity limits.  The structure is in place outside of adding more deep freezers.  We just need more drug supply (which will come) and use the existing vaccine Implementation structure that’s already built out 

worded that wrong, 3 million or so at peak but without hitting capacity

Edited by Archy1221
Wrong phrasing
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

The US averages roughly 3 million flu vaccine injections a day during flu season without hitting capacity limits.  The structure is in place outside of adding more deep freezers.  We just need more drug supply (which will come) and use the existing vaccine Implementation structure that’s already built out 

worded that wrong, 3 million or so at peak but without hitting capacity

Freezers/storage are kind of a big deal for this vaccine.

I'm skeptical of using flu vaccines as a comparison since the storage requirements are obviously different for this vaccine. We've had decades and decades to figure how to get the flu vaccines distributed. I'm sure there are many lessons learned we can take from it, but this is still something new and different.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Freezers/storage are kind of a big deal for this vaccine.

I'm skeptical of using flu vaccines as a comparison since the storage requirements are obviously different for this vaccine. We've had decades and decades to figure how to get the flu vaccines distributed. I'm sure there are many lessons learned we can take from it, but this is still something new and different.

Yep definitely so on deep freezers for the Pfizer vaccine.  The Moderna vaccine should be able to be stored adequately in most places already based on its requirements. 

Hope most states start utilizing Pharmacies and PCP offices more to help vaccinate once supply is more readily available.  Utilize the expertise already in place  Instead of rolling everything through the county health departments.  

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I can’t understand why Biden would say this?  The vaccine itself will change the trajectory along with the fact that we possibly hit a peak already based on hospitalization data. 

The are time delays involved in getting the vaccine produced, distributed, injected, repeat for second dose, and then the time for the vaccine to be effective. I think it's a poor choice of words by Biden, but it makes sense since he can't just snap his fingers and make a pandemic go away.

• Plus1 1