The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Yes Eric, that’s how things are supposed to go when you start from zero.  It’s why Biden’s 1million vaccinations a day pledge was abnormally stupid even for him.  

It’s also what happens when states stop hoarding the vaccine based on a too rigid algorithm and actually decide to stick it in the arms of its citizens.  Eric doesn’t seem very bright.  Eric doesn’t seem to know that by April, supply won’t be an issue, and when supply isn’t an issue the system can inject well over 3 million people per day.  Eric doesn't seem to know It’s already done during flu season.  

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes Eric, that’s how things are supposed to go when you start from zero.  It’s why Biden’s 1million vaccinations a day pledge was abnormally stupid even for him.  

It’s also what happens when states stop hoarding the vaccine based on a too rigid algorithm and actually decide to stick it in the arms of its citizens.  Eric doesn’t seem very bright.  Eric doesn’t seem to know that by April, supply won’t be an issue, and when supply isn’t an issue the system can inject well over 3 million people per day.  Eric doesn't seem to know It’s already done during flu season.  

Or it's what happens when you do your job instead of whining like a petulant child for months on end.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

So was hiding Covid data a chapter in that self congratulatory book Cuomo wrote?

I remember when Dems were so smitten by Cuomo's daily briefings that many would have swapped him for Biden in a heartbeat.

My wife for one.

But then all my New York friends said no. No, no, no, no, no.  You don't want Andrew Cuomo. No. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I remember when Dems were so smitten by Cuomo's daily briefings that many would have swapped him for Biden in a heartbeat.

My wife for one.

But then all my New York friends said no. No, no, no, no, no.  You don't want Andrew Cuomo. No. 

On a side note, you live in CA correct? Is the recall effort still going on with Newsome because of his Covid response or is that done?  Are CA’s in general happy with his Covid response as GOV?  Seemed like he was doing good in April/May then didn’t hear much positive press about him anymore.  

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My wife for one.

The book and Emmy were both such Bush "Mission Accomplished" moments for me. Like guys we aren't done with this and your state has the 2nd highest death rate! Maybe just wait with the awards and lessons on leadership books until we actually figure out how to end this and see how the dust settles with the actions that were taken. The likely answer will be that pretty much everyone did a lot of things wrong.

• Plus1 3
46 minutes ago, Omaha-Husker said:

The book and Emmy were both such Bush "Mission Accomplished" moments for me. Like guys we aren't done with this and your state has the 2nd highest death rate! Maybe just wait with the awards and lessons on leadership books until we actually figure out how to end this and see how the dust settles with the actions that were taken. The likely answer will be that pretty much everyone did a lot of things wrong.

Might be the most accurate post in the thread

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My wife for one.

Last summer I asked one of my NYC industry friends what he thought.  He said "We are f#&%ed with either our mayor or governor."

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

On a side note, you live in CA correct? Is the recall effort still going on with Newsome because of his Covid response or is that done?  Are CA’s in general happy with his Covid response as GOV?  Seemed like he was doing good in April/May then didn’t hear much positive press about him anymore.  

The recall is moving along. I just passed a petition station at the mall last weekend. It will probably qualify but go nowhere from there. 

Newsom has always been a bit of an eye-roller. He's been pretty good at each office he's held, but Gavin Newsom came out of the womb wanting to be President and it leaks into everything he does. I honestly think the recall sparked from the much publicized incident where Newsom attended a rich folks birthday party at a five-star restaurant while urging all other Californians not to gather. That was enough traction to start a recall, but make no mistake, the recall is simply driven by Republicans who want to undermine Democrats. Newsom totally earned the heat, but If hypocrisy alone was enough to recall politicians I mean....c'mon.

California's COVID response is trickier. Clearly the numbers have gone in the wrong direction, and the vaccine response has lagged. The latter appears to have been addressed in the last couple weeks. Newsom actually took a lot of heat for reopening California too much and too early -- bending to political pressure that comes with trying to please everyone. Then when the numbers surged -- predictably -- he tried to shut things back down again. So that spirit of politically driven compromise has made him look feckless. And he kinda is.  If the alternative is Kevin McCarthy or equivalent, I'll stick with Newsom. 

Keep in mind that the state of California has wildly different geographies and populations. So some counties have no idea why state mandates apply to them, and in practice they really don't. Compliance varies all over the place. And when you see those big California numbers, remember that they largely skew to Southern California:  LA County alone generates about 30 - 40% of infections and deaths. I'm in Marin County, where mask compliance is extremely high and almost no one b!^@hes about it. Our numbers have remained really good.  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The recall is moving along. I just passed a petition station at the mall last weekend. It will probably qualify but go nowhere from there. 

Newsom has always been a bit of an eye-roller. He's been pretty good at each office he's held, but Gavin Newsom came out of the womb wanting to be President and it leaks into everything he does. I honestly think the recall sparked from the much publicized incident where Newsom attended a rich folks birthday party at a five-star restaurant while urging all other Californians not to gather. That was enough traction to start a recall, but make no mistake, the recall is simply driven by Republicans who want to undermine Democrats. Newsom totally earned the heat, but If hypocrisy alone was enough to recall politicians I mean....c'mon.

California's COVID response is trickier. Clearly the numbers have gone in the wrong direction, and the vaccine response has lagged. The latter appears to have been addressed in the last couple weeks. Newsom actually took a lot of heat for reopening California too much and too early -- bending to political pressure that comes with trying to please everyone. Then when the numbers surged -- predictably -- he tried to shut things back down again. So that spirit of politically driven compromise has made him look feckless. And he kinda is.  If the alternative is Kevin McCarthy or equivalent, I'll stick with Newsom. 

Keep in mind that the state of California has wildly different geographies and populations. So some counties have no idea why state mandates apply to them, and in practice they really don't. Compliance varies all over the place. And when you see those big California numbers, remember that they largely skew to Southern California:  LA County alone generates about 30 - 40% of infections and deaths. I'm in Marin County, where mask compliance is extremely high and almost no one b!^@hes about it. Our numbers have remained really good.  

Thank you for the info

• Plus1 1