The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

18 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Not sure what that has to do with my post, but the answer is probably no.  We'll see when the final chapter is written on this plague. 

Agreed - there's a huge measure of 'wait and see' with all of this, but it's being actively analyzed by medical professionals. There are a lot of variables at play with COVID case spreading and death rates (including housing density, the volume of densely populated urban areas, the local health systems, etc.) and I don't know if we have a lot of solid answers. But, we can make educated guesses.

Florida and CA - two states with different approaches, similar per capita case numbers, roughly similar deaths per 100k. But then there are places like North Dakota and South Dakota... two of the least restrictive states with two higher per capita case volumes as well as significantly higher rates of death per 100k people than Florida or California.

As a "novel" virus, scientists and doctors are still learning.

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Agreed - there's a huge measure of 'wait and see' with all of this, but it's being actively analyzed by medical professionals. There are a lot of variables at play with COVID case spreading and death rates (including housing density, the volume of densely populated urban areas, the local health systems, etc.) and I don't know if we have a lot of solid answers. But, we can make educated guesses.

Florida and CA - two states with different approaches, similar per capita case numbers, roughly similar deaths per 100k. But then there are places like North Dakota and South Dakota... two of the least restrictive states with two higher per capita case volumes as well as significantly higher rates of death per 100k people than Florida or California.

As a "novel" virus, scientists and doctors are still learning.

Everyone went into this not knowing exactly what to expect and the best way to combat it.  One thing is clear, the leaders that played it down as just another "flu" were a major problem.

• Plus1 5

This appears to be very, very good news.  One dose, huge production capabilities, lessened storage issues compared to some others, and it seems to really trigger a strong T-cell response.  If Novavax can come through these would be great weapons for tamping down this pandemic world wide not just in Euro-American settings.

29 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

This appears to be very, very good news.  One dose, huge production capabilities, lessened storage issues compared to some others, and it seems to really trigger a strong T-cell response.  If Novavax can come through these would be great weapons for tamping down this pandemic world wide not just in Euro-American settings.

More convenient too. Hopefully once it's my turn I can just do 1 and be done for a year or however long it lasts.

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

More convenient too. Hopefully once it's my turn I can just do 1 and be done for a year or however long it lasts.

My friend in the pharma industry said the Pfizer vaccine lasts about three months, give or take. The point of it is to get you through bad flu season (winter), and let your immune system fight off chance encounters with the virus during warmer months. 

Anecdotal, so take that with a grain of salt.

21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

My friend in the pharma industry said the Pfizer vaccine lasts about three months, give or take. The point of it is to get you through bad flu season (winter), and let your immune system fight off chance encounters with the virus during warmer months. 

The first dose is supposed to provide immunity for about that long by itself.

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's horrible news if that's the case but everything I've read is that the immune response is strong enough that it may last two or three years with annual boosters being a possibility.  I'm wondering if there was some sort of miscommunication.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kgw.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/verify-how-long-will-immunity-from-the-covid-19-vaccine-last-no-one-knows-for-sure/531-86718292-cef8-4e81-9c54-4333aafbae65

"In early January, Moderna's CEO, Stéphane Bancel, spoke with financial services group Oddo BHF. He said that while more information is needed for a definitive answer, "The antibody decay generated by the vaccine in humans goes down very slowly…. We believe there will be protection potentially a couple years."

That's for Moderna but Pfizer's is so similar can't believe it would be that much different.

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Sounds pretty close to what I was hoping to expect for this summer.  Almost back to 2019 type summer.  

Now if they could add:  Huskers will go 12-0 during the fall.  Then throw in a conference championship just because ...  :restore2

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

It doesn’t seem like that is the case and Only time will tell obviously, but the research I see shows the potential of a year or two in the initial vaccine with the likelihood of booster shots annually or biannually.   Here is a clip from about that from one source. 

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/how-covid-19-vaccines-work.html

Coronavirus vaccines are still so new that more time is needed to study how long immunity lasts. Studies currently available show that people who were vaccinated had a very strong immunity to COVID-19. It looks like immunity will last a while, but researchers need to follow immune levels over time. At this point, we're not sure if immunity will last a year or 10 years, or if there will be a need for a booster shot at some point.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1