The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Sure.  After the access Hollywood tape came out, tons of Republicans and the RNC were wanting Trump to drop out.  

As far as the allegations by the women, (going by memory so you look them up if you want)  I believe they were almost all 20-30 year old encounters that no one could prove and we all he said/she said with no evidence.  We don’t hear about them anymore and I wonder why since he isn’t President now and I would think he could be investigated.  Though admittedly I don’t know the statute of limitations in each state. 

Coumo’s allegations are mostly within the last 2 years and one or two have potential witnesses.  For me personally, he should have his investigations go forward on those.  

So about that John’s Hopkins article/data set.  You know where I can find it? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.governing.com/now/Florida-Filters-Public-COVID-Data-While-Virus-Takes-a-Toll.html%3fAMP

Not finding the John Hopkins study.  But if you believe Deathantis is on the up and up have at it.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Didn’t think you would.  I was pretty sure that Twitter guy was posting nonsense. 

I was pretty sure you were pretty sure.  But unlike you I'll go ahead and say it was an error to post it prematurely.  My bad.  

Now what are your thoughts on Florida opening wide and allowing hoards of maskless spring break partiers in?  Do you think that's a wise move especially considering we're this close to tamping this thing down and knowing another surge just increases the odds of strains getting by the vaccines?  

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Didn’t think you would.  I was pretty sure that Twitter guy was posting nonsense. 

I looked it up, and believe he was referencing an observed delta between the apparent increased death count and covid deaths.  There is nothing to indicate it was being done intentionally to mislead, nor does it mean the difference in numbers are wholly covid-related deaths. This statistical gap is also not confined to Florida.

Regardless of what I personally believe, there is some serious confirmation bias at work here.  People don’t like the guy, disagree with how he’s handled the pandemic, and now trying to vindicate that opinion with ‘statistics’. We should really be trying to understand the numbers at this point and attempt to learn what worked, what didn’t...so we can do better next time. 

But smugly misinforming on Twitter is more fun I guess. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I looked it up, and believe he was referencing an observed delta between the apparent increased death count and covid deaths.  There is nothing to indicate it was being done intentionally to mislead, nor does it mean the difference in numbers are wholly covid-related deaths. This statistical gap is also not confined to Florida.

Regardless of what I personally believe, there is some serious confirmation bias at work here.  People don’t like the guy, disagree with how he’s handled the pandemic, and now trying to vindicate that opinion with ‘statistics’. We should really be trying to understand the numbers at this point and attempt to learn what worked, what didn’t...so we can do better next time. 

But smugly misinforming on Twitter is more fun I guess. 

Appreciate you sharing what you found. 

• Plus1 1

The idea that because you had Covid before means you are now immune and don't need the vaccine is false, primarily due to two reasons.  One is that  immune response from having Covid is in no way as strong as being vaccinated.  The other is that variants such as the one found in New York or Brazil probably wouldn't be stopped by whatever immunity was still in effect from a prior infection.   So again Ron Johnson should probably be ignored.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/covid-variants-infectious-strains-60-minutes-2021-03-14/

"To understand the threat posed by mutations, public health experts are studying the Brazilian city of Manaus. Last spring, COVID swept through the population, leaving about 70% infected. As a result, some researchers believed the city had reached herd immunity. 

But then, starting this past December, epidemiologists suspect thousands were reinfected with the Brazilian variant. Hospitals there were overwhelmed. Health officials reported up to 150 deaths a day. And a recent study suggests the variant is more infectious than earlier strains and may be better at evading antibodies."

The whole article is worth the time to read.  But this last quote sums up why governors (Deathantis, Abbot, Noem, Ricketts) that want to blow through the science for political gain are short-sighted.  

"To continue to hear that this isn't over yet has got to be a hard thing for all of us. I don't want to sound so pessimistic though, we are making amazing progress. We just gotta hang on and don't blow it at the end.  If you're the guy running for the finish line, don't trip right there on the 10-yard line. Try to get all the way to the goal. We-- we can see it. We're gonna get there. But this is not the moment to relax or stop running hard."

• Thanks 1

I have said this all along.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/947580?src=mkm_covid_update_210316_MSCPEDIT&uac=211987EJ&impID=3252914&faf=1

A study evaluating asymptomatic adults for COVID-19 would add another 16 million to the total number of SARS-CoV-2 infections in the United States, at least up to September 2020. The finding would "double the number who have been infected with COVID-19 compared to the number of clinically diagnosed cases" 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I have said this all along.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/947580?src=mkm_covid_update_210316_MSCPEDIT&uac=211987EJ&impID=3252914&faf=1

A study evaluating asymptomatic adults for COVID-19 would add another 16 million to the total number of SARS-CoV-2 infections in the United States, at least up to September 2020. The finding would "double the number who have been infected with COVID-19 compared to the number of clinically diagnosed cases" 

Well, if everyone that could, would give blood, we could answer that and solve a major problem at the same time.

• Plus1 1