The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

I've moved a couple of posts to the Woodshed. Please continue those conversations there.

A little less misrepresentation of peoples' arguments (intentional or otherwise) would go a long way towards cultivating more honest discussion in this thread. Turning someone's argument into a caricature of itself is unnecessary.

Carry on.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

yep...trump had it well under control.   what was it...4 cases soon to be none?    trump must have been working with chyyyyyna when he said that we don't have to worry about that deadly biological weapon chyyna released against us.   

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, commando said:

we have 500,000 dead because to many people were only thinking about themselves rather than others.  they asked questions like "what's in it for me?" instead of how can we all work together to defeat covid

Wrong as usual.  We have (maybe) had 550k deaths because a virus is going to virus.

Were the rest of the 2.3 million worldwide deaths listed as Covid due to those people "only thinking about themselves?"

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Cases have been declining in Texas, but not every single day and 18 days is about when we'd expect to see the effects from the mask mandate, so a bit premature to start celebrating.

ExsX-HyWgAQKSOP.jpg:large

The numbers @Archy1221 posted in the Daily Mail article and now the slightly more credible Drew Holden tweet don't show what he, or Drew Holden, think they show as you've pointed out.   Total active cases declining shows that the mitigation practices in place were working. Daily new cases are what need to be watched now.  If they continue to trend up then total active cases will eventually rise too.  All of this is beholden to the lag effect.  

But then again Drew Holden is a leading epidemiologist...oh wait.

I posted this a few pages back but since it didn't sink in.  

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e3.htm#:~:text=Mask mandates were associated with statistically significant decreases in county,41–80 days after reopening.

"Allowing on-premises restaurant dining was associated with increases in county-level case and death growth rates within 41–80 days after reopening"

it's concerning that the daily new cases are rising so soon.

Let's all hope Drew is right.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

Wrong as usual.  We have (maybe) had 550k deaths because a virus is going to virus.

Were the rest of the 2.3 million worldwide deaths listed as Covid due to those people "only thinking about themselves?"

A quick study of Reddit shows anti mask morons in Canada, the UK, Australia, Germany, France, all over the world really. So, yeah there are probably idiots contributing to the rise everywhere.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

there were going to be deaths.  if we had all joined together in the effort to defeat corona those numbers would have been smaller.    but we had political rallys and protests.   people refusing to wear mask.  idiots getting mad and coughing on each other.    we can't know how many fewer deaths we could have had.....but we had plenty of people not doing their part to help control the virus.   there were even covid parties to try and get everyone infected.   we had plenty of covidiots doing all they could to push the death count higher.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
22 hours ago, knapplc said:

One wonders what positive coverage about a global pandemic that shattered our way of life we should have been given. I mean, every time there was a glimmer of hope, that same media she bags on published it. It's just that there wasn't much hope until the vaccines came out.

The piece is sparse on detail of what she thinks would have better served the audience. 

I think her point wasn't so much that there should be positive news about Covid, but that the volume of stories in U.S. coverage contained so many more negative stories than elsewhere in the world.  Or as she said, "dramatically more negative coverage than international, regional and scientific news sources."   Her secondary point was that the negative coverage appeared to be politicized.  I agree with both those points.  Covid is a deadly virus, somewhat worse than SARS was, and comparable to measles  for deadliness and contagiousness.  (Although measles is pretty much under control now).  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, NUance said:

I think her point wasn't so much that there should be positive news about Covid, but that the volume of stories in U.S. coverage contained so many more negative stories than elsewhere in the world.  Or as she said, "dramatically more negative coverage than international, regional and scientific news sources."   Her secondary point was that the negative coverage appeared to be politicized.  I agree with both those points.  Covid is a deadly virus, somewhat worse than SARS was, and comparable to measles  for deadliness and contagiousness.  (Although measles is pretty much under control now).  

Her opinion piece appeared to be yet another attack on the MSM by the woke right. She offers no specifics, vaguely cites one study, and offers no examples of "better" Covid coverage.

If people were informed by that, awesome. 

• Plus1 2