The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

28 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/article/anthony-fauci-no-scientific-evidence-the-coronavirus-was-made-in-a-chinese-lab-cvd

Based on the scientific evidence, he also doesn’t entertain an alternate theory—that someone found the coronavirus in the wild, brought it to a lab, and then it accidentally escaped.

This is an expert stating his professional opinion based in what was known at the time and providing a scientific justification for it. It’s mostly certainly NOT a dismissal as you stated.  

This, along with your calling Fauci an institutional figure and suggesting he’ll put protecting the NIH over the truth is also not supported by any facts.  

I get that on the Right these days,  facts are not necessary and often problematic, but come on.  

Your relentless quest to discredit Dr Fauci is quite apparent.   

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

That was the stupidest thing. It’s golf. He could play the whole tournament without getting any closer than 20 feet to anyone other than his caddy. It was wrong to make him withdraw.

I actually think the stupidest thing was that Rahm didn't get vaccinated (if all indications are true) then was in close contact with someone who had Covid.  He's the one who took the chance and knew the rules.   Had he been vaccinated the rules state he would not have been subject to contact tracing testing.  Dude blew over a million for what reason?  Hopefully he doesn't end up on a ventilator.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/jon-rahm-knocked-out-of-memorial-tournament-with-covid-1847042318/amp

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Rahm signed up for this. He knew he had contact with a COVID positive person, directly. before the tournament. PGA gave him the option of not participating or going thru daily testing - knowing full well if he tested positive he was done. 

29 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I actually think the stupidest thing was that Rahm didn't get vaccinated (if all indications are true) then was in close contact with someone who had Covid.  He's the one who took the chance and knew the rules.   Had he been vaccinated the rules state he would not have been subject to contact tracing testing.  Dude blew over a million for what reason?  Hopefully he doesn't end up on a ventilator.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/jon-rahm-knocked-out-of-memorial-tournament-with-covid-1847042318/amp

I was not aware of these issues. I had only heard that he was tested and then had to withdraw. So I stand corrected. If this is a situation of him knowingly assuming the risks rather than a case of inflexible rules, then yes it’s simply a case of rotten luck and a result of his choices.

4 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

This is an expert stating his professional opinion based in what was known at the time and providing a scientific justification for it. It’s mostly certainly NOT a dismissal as you stated.  

This, along with your calling Fauci an institutional figure and suggesting he’ll put protecting the NIH over the truth is also not supported by any facts.  

I get that on the Right these days,  facts are not necessary and often problematic, but come on.  

Your relentless quest to discredit Dr Fauci is quite apparent.   

Dismissing an alternate theory prior scientific evidence or having proven a different theory is not a proper way of handling things.  BTW...The CBS article from the time that references this interview actually says “Fauci again dismisses lab leak theory”.   Seems as though multiple media outlets see it the same way I do :dunno

If you consider me putting a handful of articles/emails showing Fauci dismissing something that may turn out true as a “relentless quest”, I should would hate to see what you call an actual investigation into a matter :ahhhhhhhh

Fauci has worked for NIH for decades.  He is an institutional figure at NIH.  I didn’t say that was bad now did I?  Nope.  I said one bad thing about them is they tend to want to protect the institution when it’s under question.  Pretty big difference there Decoy.  

I get you type of people on the left want to just go along with everything and only question things that Republicans are a part of, but that gets us nowhere.  Open up a little start having an open mind.  You might enjoy not being beholden to what people tell you to believe.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Dismissing an alternate theory prior scientific evidence or having proven a different theory is not a proper way of handling things.  BTW...The CBS article from the time that references this interview actually says “Fauci again dismisses lab leak theory”.   Seems as though multiple media outlets see it the same way I do :dunno

If you consider me putting a handful of articles/emails showing Fauci dismissing something that may turn out true as a “relentless quest”, I should would hate to see what you call an actual investigation into a matter :ahhhhhhhh

Fauci has worked for NIH for decades.  He is an institutional figure at NIH.  I didn’t say that was bad now did I?  Nope.  I said one bad thing about them is they tend to want to protect the institution when it’s under question.  Pretty big difference there Decoy.  

I get you type of people on the left want to just go along with everything and only question things that Republicans are a part of, but that gets us nowhere.  Open up a little start having an open mind.  You might enjoy not being beholden to what people tell you to believe.  

Is that what you're calling Republican conspiracies now. Theories?

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, Scarlet said:

the PGA is crazy about rules, so I am sort of shocked they didn't execute him after the test came back positive. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Some pretty big and unfounded assumptions you make here.  Just curious...What field are you in?

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You're conflating lab leak with source.  The context of the interview was whether or not the virus was engineered or native.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/anthony-fauci-wuhan-lab-coronavirus-source-dismissal/

Do you have an actual quote where Fauci entirely dismisses the theory that it escaped from the Wuhan lab whether engineered or native?  I'm not seeing that in the interview in the above link which is a repeat of the National Geographic you linked earlier.  What he says is the evidence is pointing to the virus originally being native not engineered.  Big difference from saying with 100% certainty either way.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

You're conflating lab leak with source.

No. Actually I’m not.   What we are talking about is how the virus got out into the public, not how it was created (naturally or naturally while also being engineered/gain of function researched).  

from your cbs article. 

When asked if there could have been a scenario where scientists found the virus outside the lab, brought it back and then it escaped, Fauci shut the line of questioning down.

"But that means it was in the wild to begin with. That's why I don't get what they're talking about [and] why I don't spend a lot of time going in on this circular argument," he said. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What is unfounded?  

I work in Medical Field for last 19 years.  And you? 

Then you should understand that Dr Fauci was asked a question and he answered it exactly how an expert who’s very calculated on what he says should.  Based on the available information and past scientific data.  He’s not going to entertain a lab leak theory when, at the time, had no evidence to back it up.  Plus he’d be literally “throwing colleagues under the bus” without anything to back it up.  You just don’t do that.  
 You can call that dismissing if you want, but I would disagree.  If he had flat out said said that it wasn’t a lab leak, then yes that would have been different.   But he didn’t.  

Fast forward to today and now we have evidence that there may have been one.  And Fauci is stating that it should be investigated.   

as far as unfounded assumptions go.....

media headline states Fauci dismissed lab leak.  So it must be true?  I would have thought you distrusted the media.  

I disagreed with you and don’t subscribe to trumpism, so I must be on the “left.”

Nope.  Centrist here pal.  

I am told what I should believe about politics, so I do.   How is that possible when I don’t watch (or read much anymore ) anything political related.   I’m kind of fatigued of all of it,  honestly.  

So that’s where I’m coming from.  And I didn’t wish to debate this whole topic much longer.  

cheers

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

No. Actually I’m not.   What we are talking about is how the virus got out into the public, not how it was created (naturally or naturally while also being engineered/gain of function researched).  

from your cbs article. 

When asked if there could have been a scenario where scientists found the virus outside the lab, brought it back and then it escaped, Fauci shut the line of questioning down.

"But that means it was in the wild to begin with. That's why I don't get what they're talking about [and] why I don't spend a lot of time going in on this circular argument," he said. 

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

from your cbs article. 

That quote doesn't show he concluded 100% that it did not escape from the Wuhan lab.  It was too soon for him to be speculating about that without enough evidence.  If the evidence presented itself, of course he say so.  

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is funny watching people try to crucify Dr F and try to hold him up as the most perfect person either.  You dudes need some new hobbies.

My guess, he is good at his job and also f#&%s up, like all of us.  

Says the guy with over 11,000 posts...lol

• Plus1 2