The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Same response to Harry goes to you.  It’s crazy and stupid for you to continually talk in absolutes about Republicans on this board.  It seems to be schtick you like to throw out for some reason, it just doesn’t become a good luck for ya.   

Guess what ethnicities are the least vaccinated?  If you need a hint just ask.

When the Republican politicians and their media spokes people change their tune, so shall I. 

until then, all you have to do is listen to the speeches at CPAC to validate my comments. And that includes the guy you thought was a wonderful president. 

Now, if your opinions of the party are changing, then I welcome you to the group of others here. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When the Republican politicians and their media spokes people change their tune, so shall I. 

until then, all you have to do is listen to the speeches at CPAC to validate my comments. And that includes the guy you thought was a wonderful president. 

Now, if your opinions of the party are changing, then I welcome you to the group of others here. 

Conveniently you seem to not listen to those in leadership positions of Republican Party :dunno  Heck even the guy who was President says to get vaccinated. 

Now, if you want to start paying attention to who actually says what, I welcome you to the program.  The Republicans who promote anti-vaccine theories are being dopey and not helping.   If they promote the vaccine, but it not being mandatory that is a whole different thing.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Conveniently you seem to not listen to those in leadership positions of Republican Party :dunno  Heck even the guy who was President says to get vaccinated. 

Now, if you want to start paying attention to who actually says what, I welcome you to the program.  The Republicans who promote anti-vaccine theories are being dopey and not helping.   If they promote the vaccine, but it not being mandatory that is a whole different thing.  

When was the last time Trump has said to get vaccinated?  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

You're not fooling anyone except the morons who won't get the vaccine because they've been fed lies by far right fake news outlets and greedy politicians. I guarantee you nothing would change with those people if FDA gave the approval you want. 

Seeing as how I’m not trying to fool anyone, I guess that’s a good thing I’m not fooling anyone.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

That’s unfortunate for her and her family.  Would be nice if the FDA would get off their a$$ and actually approve the damn vaccines.  

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Does the Republican Party actually do that?   Or some people that are Republicans?  And if the FDA would get off their a$$ and approve the vaccines, that would help.  I mean what do they need, an N of another billion people getting the shot?  Geesh. 

Contrary to Archy's claims, several vaccines have been approved by the FDA for months now.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

You're not fooling anyone except the morons who won't get the vaccine because they've been fed lies by far right fake news outlets and greedy politicians. I guarantee you nothing would change with those people if FDA gave the approval you want. 

Excuse me??  Are you calling black community morons?!! 

Majority of the community isn't going to get the vaccine.  There's no trust with the govt, so deal with it. 

Stop bringing up republicans.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Speaking of Republicans and how they're handling the pandemic...

Tennessee's former top vaccine official: 'I am afraid for my state'

Editor's note: On Monday, July 12, the Tennessee Department of Health fired Dr. Michelle Fiscus, the top vaccine official in the Tennessee state government. Fiscus said she was scapegoated to appease Republican state lawmakers who are angry about efforts to vaccinate teenagers. After losing her job, Fiscus released a 1,200-word statement about the ordeal. Below is her statement in its entirety.

Today I became the 25th of 64 state and territorial immunization program directors to leave their position during this pandemic. That’s nearly 40% of us. And along with our resignations or retirements or, as in my case, push from office, goes the institutional knowledge and leadership of our respective COVID-19 vaccine responses.  I will not sit quietly by while our public health infrastructure is eroded in the midst of a pandemic.

We are a group of dedicated public health professionals who have worked endless hours to make COVID-19 vaccines, the ONE tool we have to effectively end the scourge of the COVID-19 pandemic, available to every person in our jurisdictions.  Along the way we have been disparaged, demeaned, accused, and sometimes vilified by a public who chooses not to believe in science, and elected and appointed officials who have put their own self-interest above the people they were chosen to represent and protect.

On May 6, 2021, in advance of the approval of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for 12-15 year olds and in response to multiple questions I had received regarding the rules around vaccinating minors, I reached out to Tennessee Department of Health’s general counsel to request a statement regarding Tennessee’s Mature Minor Doctrine that resulted from a Tennessee Supreme Court Ruling in Cardwell v Bechtol in 1987.

In response, I received a document attached to an email stating, “Sure—Attached is the new summary of the doctrine that has just recently been posted to the website and is blessed by the Governor’s office on the subject. This is forward facing so feel free to distribute to anyone.”

On May 10, 2021, I copied and pasted the language provided to me into a memo that was distributed only to providers who were administering COVID-19 vaccines. A recipient of that memo was upset that, according to Tennessee Supreme Court case law, minors ages 14-17 years are able to receive medical care in Tennessee without parental consent and posted the memo to social media. Within days, legislators were contacting TDH asking questions about the memo with some interpreting it as an attempt to undermine parental authority.

Let me be clear: this was an informational memo containing language approved by the TDH Office of General Counsel which was sent to medical providers by the medical director of the state’s immunization program regarding the guardrails set 34 years ago by the Tennessee Supreme Court around providing care to minors.

What has occurred in the time between the release of this memo and today, when I was terminated from my position as medical director of the vaccine-preventable diseases and immunization program at the Tennessee Department of Health, can only be described as bizarre.

On May 19th, TDH was asked to appear before the Government Operations Committee due to the concern that the memo was “a bit of a prodding or encouraging to vaccinate children without parental consent.” This was followed by a series of requests from members of the Committee for data around the impact of COVID-19 on children and a request to appear before the Committee again on June 16.

It was at that June 16th meeting that the Department was accused of “targeting” youth through Facebook messaging and its actions were described as “reprehensible” by one Committee member. That member went on to call for the “dissolving and reconstitution” of the Department of Health in the midst of a pandemic where one out of every 542 Tennesseans has died from COVID-19 on their watch and less than 38% of Tennesseans have been vaccinated.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, admo said:

Excuse me??  Are you calling black community morons?!! 

Majority of the community isn't going to get the vaccine.  There's no trust with the govt, so deal with it. 

Stop bringing up republicans.

I’ll call anyone who is refusing the vaccine because they believe it is part of a government conspiracy a moron.  I don’t care what race, sex, creed, or political affiliation they are.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I’ll call anyone who is refusing the vaccine because they believe it is part of a government conspiracy a moron.  I don’t care what race, sex, creed, or political affiliation they are.

I think there is good reason why some individuals within the black community have no trust in the government when it comes to this issue. 

• Plus1 3

18 minutes ago, jaws said:

I think there is good reason why some individuals within the black community have no trust in the government when it comes to this issue. 

Is there a good reason white people should distrust?  Jews distrust?  Christians distrust?  Hispanics distrust?  Women distrust?  Straight or gay people distrust?

Because it’s the same virus and same vaccine…

50 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Is there a good reason white people should distrust?  Jews distrust?  Christians distrust?  Hispanics distrust?  Women distrust?  Straight or gay people distrust?

Because it’s the same virus and same vaccine…

Really? Like the US government hasn't experimented on black populations before? I am not saying we shouldn't all be vaccinated, but I understand why certain populations, given past history, do not trust the government when it comes to this stuff. 

Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

• Fire 2
9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m not.  What Covid-19 vaccine is FDA approved?  You claimed several were.  Or are you just playing dumb because you don’t know what you speak of?  

You're playing dumb that there aren't approved vaccines. Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J all have approved vaccines.

Now go ahead and jump out with the "not fully approved" bogeyman that's untrue.