The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The media, the administration etc need to make a BIG deal of it when it receives full FDA approval. They need to cover it like Trump made a mean tweet. I know a lot of people who are hesitant and when you ask why that is what is brought up. 

I agree, but two or three posters on here think it doesn’t matter.  They believe it’s just semantics with the FDA 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

That mandate had been challenged in a lawsuit brought by employees, including Jennifer Bridges, a former nurse who alleged the policy was unlawful and forced staffers to be “guinea pigs” for vaccines that had not gone through the full Food and Drug Administration approval process. A federal-district court judge dismissed the lawsuit last month.

I find it interesting that an employer can mandate something that isnt fully FDA approved. Once it is approved I fully support if a workplace wants to require it as a term of employment. Just another example of people being hesitant without the full FDA approval. I believe I heard on the news this morning that full approval is likely to occur at the end of next month? Anyone else hear anything? 

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, commando said:

it's about time the republicans stopped dismissing covid as a hoax or democratic ploy .  i wonder why the big change all of a sudden?   heck...i don't care.  lets get everyone involved and beat this s#!t.

I can't speak to De Santis explicitly, but the about face among many loud Republican voices may be related to the fact that the surge in hospitalizations and deaths are happening among those who aren't vaccinated... a large sum of which happen to be Republicans that have been unnecessarily skeptical/critical of COVID and vaccines.

Supporting a rhetoric that emboldens your voting base is only a good idea up to the point you start killing them off and hurting your election chances at the polls.

It is a bit ironic of DeSantis to be promoting vaccines in this way while simultaneously selling "Don't Fauci my Florida" koozies on his campaign website.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree, but two or three posters on here think it doesn’t matter.  They believe it’s just semantics with the FDA 

Name the posters then.  

Speaking of "doesn't matter", didn't you say: "cases don’t really mean much with 65% of the country vaccinated. Hospitalizations and Deaths are the numbers that actually mean something".  

So what's it to you?  Cases are rising but pfffttt....big deal, right? Hospitalizations and Death are the numbers that mean something right?  Nevermind hospitalizations are going up significantly in many places.

Are you now saying cases matter or are you just trying to be the smartest guy on the board?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Somebody better let the delta variant know that the vaccines will soon become more effective by the stroke of a pen!!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I find it interesting that an employer can mandate something that isnt fully FDA approved. Once it is approved I fully support if a workplace wants to require it as a term of employment. Just another example of people being hesitant without the full FDA approval. I believe I heard on the news this morning that full approval is likely to occur at the end of next month? Anyone else hear anything? 

Employers can mandate a lot of things so long as they don't violate federal or state laws (i.e. discrimination laws). I don't know where something like a vaccine fits into the fold. But, we have reams of evidence and scientifically backed data to support vaccine efficacy and usage in the fight against COVID. Most of the people refusing to get it at this point are being irrationally obstinate.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It is a bit ironic of DeSantis to be promoting vaccines in this way while simultaneously selling "Don't Fauci my Florida" koozies on his campaign website.

Why, one has nothing to do with the other.  Though the coozy idea seems childish in my opinion. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Employers can mandate a lot of things so long as they don't violate federal or state laws (i.e. discrimination laws). I don't know where something like a vaccine fits into the fold. But, we have reams of evidence and scientifically backed data to support vaccine efficacy and usage in the fight against COVID. Most of the people refusing to get it at this point are being irrationally obstinate.

I think you underestimate the value of the FDA fully approving the vaccine for some people.  

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Why, one has nothing to do with the other.  Though the coozy idea seems childish in my opinion. 

"Nothing to do with the other" is a bit forgiving, IMO. It's childish and hypocritical to in one hand fundraise off of criticism of one of the biggest voices/proponents of vaccine usage while simultaneously repeating the things said proponent has said.

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Name the posters then. 

You can read the thread and figure it out, at least you should be able to anyways.  

14 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Speaking of "doesn't matter", didn't you say: "cases don’t really mean much with 65% of the country vaccinated. Hospitalizations and Deaths are the numbers that actually mean something".  

Yes, sounds like something I would have said.  A+ on your research project!  

15 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Hospitalizations and Death are the numbers that mean something right? 

Yep

15 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

are you just trying to be the smartest guy on the board?  

Well I assumed everyone already thought I was the smartest :dunno

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think you underestimate the value of the FDA fully approving the vaccine for some people.  

That's my point. Those people are looking for any crutch or excuse that they can at this point. They don't rely on the FDA for tons of other decisions in their life, but they do on this one? Why?

These are the same kind of people who probably would've supported Ricketts' circumvention of the FDA to get death penalty drugs into Nebraska, yet think the FDA 'has it right' in their current approach to medical marijuana.

The FDA is a convenient defense when people want it to be.

18 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Are you now saying cases matter or are you just trying to be the smartest guy on the board?  

This really isn't necessary. Please take this kind of language to the Shed.

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

"Nothing to do with the other" is a bit forgiving, IMO. It's childish and hypocritical to in one hand fundraise off of criticism of one of the biggest voices/proponents of vaccine usage while simultaneously repeating the things said proponent has said.

I always took DeSantis’ criticism of Fauci being all the lockdowns and restrictions and not the vaccines unless you have heard different and DeSantis has critiques Fauci for vaccines. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

They don't rely on the FDA for tons of other decisions in their life, but they do on this one? Why?

Because the FDA doesn’t regulate tons of other things in their lives outside of food and drugs.  When prominent Scientists and Doctors in this field say it’s a problem and news story after news story say it’s an issue, I will tend to agree with it along with anecdotal evidence of speaking live with people about it.  This is especially true for parents getting kids vaccinated.  FDA approval is very important in that aspect. 

• Plus1 1