The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

11 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That's my point. Those people are looking for any crutch or excuse that they can at this point. They don't rely on the FDA for tons of other decisions in their life, but they do on this one? Why?

These are the same kind of people who probably would've supported Ricketts' circumvention of the FDA to get death penalty drugs into Nebraska, yet think the FDA 'has it right' in their current approach to medical marijuana.

The FDA is a convenient defense when people want it to be.

Yep. The FDA already says the vaccine is safe and is encouraging everyone to get it, but somehow people will be magically convinced once a different set of paperwork is filed.

I think the biggest change that will cause people to start getting vaccinated is that the right-wing media is switching from anti-vax to pro-vax.

24 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Because the FDA doesn’t regulate tons of other things in their lives outside of food and drugs.  When prominent Scientists and Doctors in this field say it’s a problem and news story after news story say it’s an issue, I will tend to agree with it along with anecdotal evidence of speaking live with people about it.  This is especially true for parents getting kids vaccinated.  FDA approval is very important in that aspect. 

The vast majority of doctors and researchers worldwide support vaccine usage and their efficacy. The FDA is promoting vaccine usage and says their safe, and they will be fully approved, so what exactly are these people holding out for?

These obstinate naysayers are relying on FDA formalities as a crutch. When that's no longer reliable, they'll move onto the next thing. They've been doing it through the entire lifecycle of COVID. They move their goal posts any time something changes.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yep. The FDA already says the vaccine is safe and is encouraging everyone to get it, but somehow people will be magically convinced once a different set of paperwork is filed.

I think the biggest change that will cause people to start getting vaccinated is that the right-wing media is switching from anti-vax to pro-vax.

So, you're saying that you don't believe folks choosing not to be vaccinated because the FDA hasn't approved it have a valid concern. But, then you also say that these folks will now get it simply because Fox News is switching to pro-vax.  I think a LOT of people that had COVID last year are choosing not to because of natural immunity. I think there is no one defining train of thought amongst those that have yet to be vaccinated.  It could be that a lot of people figure they made it through 18 months now,  as have 98% of everyone else, and they choose not to get the shot. 

Why does this create so much angst for others?

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

So, you're saying that you don't believe folks choosing not to be vaccinated because the FDA hasn't approved it have a valid concern. 

No, I'm saying the opposite: these people do NOT have a valid concern.

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

But, then you also say that these folks will now get it simply because Fox News is switching to pro-vax.  I think a LOT of people that had COVID last year are choosing not to because of natural immunity. I think there is no one defining train of thought amongst those that have yet to be vaccinated.  It could be that a lot of people figure they made it through 18 months now,  as have 98% of everyone else, and they choose not to get the shot. 

Why does this create so much angst for others?

If their choices didn't affect others, then I wouldn't care. But not getting the vaccine is endangering the immuno-compromised and others who can't get the vaccine, and it's giving the virus many, many more chances to evolve a vaccine breakthrough version and we'll be back to square one.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The media, the administration etc need to make a BIG deal of it when it receives full FDA approval. They need to cover it like Trump made a mean tweet. I know a lot of people who are hesitant and when you ask why that is what is brought up. 

I guess we'll see.  I'm skeptical that someone who thinks the government is planting microchips or causing infertility is going to 180 when they see a different government label

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I guess we'll see.  I'm skeptical that someone who thinks the government is planting microchips or causing infertility is going to 180 when they see a different government label

Precisely. 

26 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The FDA is promoting vaccine usage and says their safe, and they will be fully approved, so what exactly are these people holding out for?

Let me then throw it back to you and say what exactly is the FDA waiting for?  They make the rules and can change them in extraordinary circumstances.   No law that I am aware of is keeping them from approving the vaccines.  

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Precisely. 

Those aren’t the people we are talking about which we all very well know.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

You realize the vast majority of people who are hesitant dont believe that right? I literally dont know anyone who hasnt got the vaccine that has said that. Every single person I know is waiting for full FDA approval that hasnt already received their vaccine. Additionally, they are all vaccinated for everything else that they have to be. Just not COVID as they have again stated they want it to pass full FDA approval first. This isnt even an irrational stance to have. However if you paint all of the ones saying this as thinking they fear microchips you only cause an issue that doesnt need to exist in any of this. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No, I'm saying the opposite: these people do NOT have a valid concern.

If their choices didn't affect others, then I wouldn't care. But not getting the vaccine is endangering the immuno-compromised and others who can't get the vaccine, and it's giving the virus many, many more chances to evolve a vaccine breakthrough version and we'll be back to square one.

BTW…these variants of concern are not originating from the US.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Let me then throw it back to you and say what exactly is the FDA waiting for?  They make the rules and can change them in extraordinary circumstances.   No law that I am aware of is keeping them from approving the vaccines.  

Those aren’t the people we are talking about which we all very well know.  

Those people are also the very vocal minority in terms of those who are vaccine hesitant. You see a few of them or know one or two people but I highly doubt the 30% of nurses in America who arent vaccinated believe the government is implanting microchips. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Those people are also the very vocal minority in terms of those who are vaccine hesitant. You see a few of them or know one or two people but I highly doubt the 30% of nurses in America who arent vaccinated believe the government is implanting microchips. 

Correct.  And people dismissing the concerns of those who are Covid vaccine hesitant really don’t help the issue whatsoever 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

You realize the vast majority of people who are hesitant dont believe that right?

No, I don't know that.  I am struggling to understand what a rational person would be waiting for when the effectiveness and safety of the vaccination is bearing out before our eyes.

Can those people you speak of verbalize their specific concerns at this point, and consequently how a full FDA approval would alleviate those specific concerns?

• Plus1 3