The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Not at all. Do you believe in the overwhelming consensus that masks help mitigate the spread of the virus? (The answer is yes) or that vaccines save lives? (Also yes)

As a follow-up, do you believe that Republicans or Democrats spread more negative messaging regarding those? (The answer is Republicans) 

This isn't the fanatical logical step in taking here. Don't make this harder than it is. 

Do you want me to answer?  It looks like you've alread done so for me, and if I don't respond the way you want, you'll just him me with more opinions to "prove" your points.  So......yes, yes and evil Repubs I guess.

Or, here in reality where I don't pretend there is a good and an evil side, maybe it's not as cut and dry as you try to paint it.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Redux said:

Do you want me to answer?  It looks like you've alread done so for me, and if I don't respond the way you want, you'll just him me with more opinions to "prove" your points.  So......yes, yes and evil Repubs I guess.

Or, here in reality where I don't pretend there is a good and an evil side, maybe it's not as cut and dry as you try to paint it.

Yeah I cant think of anyone else that admitted to misinforming the public on the effectiveness of masks to "save them for the medical staff". 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Yeah I cant think of anyone else that admitted to misinforming the public on the effectiveness of masks to "save them for the medical staff". 

Me neither!  And I bet if such a person existed, the DOJ wouldn't be in their craw!

GettyImages-1234076713-scaled-e162697166

Oooof

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Redux said:

I do want you to answer. Give it a go. Ignore my answers and input your own. It's not hard. 

As far as what @Hedley Lamarrmentioned, there was initially messaging that masks weren't necessary made by Fauci and the left early. This was a mistake, but understandable. The fear was that masks would be bought in a panic (much like the toilet paper fiasco). I think this is fair criticism on this point. But the difference is that it was not part of the left-wing media apparatus for 18 months, fortunately. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So, when there was an extreme shortage of face masks and medical staff was being overwhelmed and they were having to make their own or reuse disposable masks, it's not appropriate to tell others not to use them so medical staff can have them.

Got it.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, when there was an extreme shortage of face masks and medical staff was being overwhelmed and they were having to make their own or reuse disposable masks, it's not appropriate to tell others not to use them so medical staff can have them.

Got it.

That wasnt the initial message the initial message was that they wont help you at all. Months later he admitted he said that to save them for the medical staffs. Perhaps being transparent and open to the public as the current administration suggests must be done around the vaccine leading up to the election based on the quotes from Joe should have been Dr Fauci's goal instead of lying for a good cause. He has buried himself with people not viewing him as trustworthy. He says you dont need a mask, then he says well i lied they do actually help, then two masks help, then if you are vaccinated you dont need them, now everyone needs them. He says take the shot, is he going to change that too? That is all part of poor messaging from the NIH. Additionally being honest about where the virus potentially came from would be another screw up on his part in terms of messaging. People dont view that man as trustworthy yet he still gets put in front of a camera far too often and people are hesitant to believe anything he has to say. This just goes back to a failure on all sides honestly. 

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Got it.

It’s not appropriate for the director of infectious disease at NIH  or the surgeon general  to say they won’t be effective against spreading Covid when they actually believe that Covid is airborne and they are effective.  Hope you got that too.  

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

That wasnt the initial message the initial message was that they wont help you at all. Months later he admitted he said that to save them for the medical staffs. Perhaps being transparent and open to the public as the current administration suggests must be done around the vaccine leading up to the election based on the quotes from Joe should have been Dr Fauci's goal instead of lying for a good cause. He has buried himself with people not viewing him as trustworthy. He says you dont need a mask, then he says well i lied they do actually help, then two masks help, then if you are vaccinated you dont need them, now everyone needs them. He says take the shot, is he going to change that too? That is all part of poor messaging from the NIH. Additionally being honest about where the virus potentially came from would be another screw up on his part in terms of messaging. People dont view that man as trustworthy yet he still gets put in front of a camera far too often and people are hesitant to believe anything he has to say. This just goes back to a failure on all sides honestly. 

There have been failures on all sides. But the reality is that not all failures have an equal impact.

Which media machine has had the most damaging messaging regarding COVID and public health over the last 18 months? The right-wing media machine or the left-wing media machine?

Both are not perfect, both have their problems. But one is worse than the other, so don't equate the two. The Left-wing messaging is often a mishmash of alternating messaging which is confusing and inconsistent. The right is anti-mask and anti-vaccine which is considerably more harmful.

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I do want you to answer. Give it a go. Ignore my answers and input your own. It's not hard. 

As far as what @Hedley Lamarrmentioned, there was initially messaging that masks weren't necessary made by Fauci and the left early. This was a mistake, but understandable. The fear was that masks would be bought in a panic (much like the toilet paper fiasco). I think this is fair criticism on this point. But the difference is that it was not part of the left-wing media apparatus for 18 months, fortunately. 

And, using your extrapolation model for Rs, how many millions of cases and thousands of deaths should we blame Fauci for?...you know, since he knew at the time of these lies that it was an aerosol? 

• Thanks 3
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My employer gave employees $100 or $200 in HSA funds for getting vaccinated.  HSA $ have to be used towards health care expenses, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Man!

We could take the day off to get it but of course I did mine on a Saturday...because my students need me!