The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

If the past year and a half has taught me anything, it’s the staggering number of Right Wingers in this country who have little to no concern for what’s best for society.  

All you R’s out there, Why is that? Your perceived personal “freedoms” “trump” potentially saving tens of thousands of lives.  These are human beings just like you and me.  

For a party who claims to want to protect unborn babies, many of you seem to care awfully little for them when they do enter this world. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

If the past year and a half has taught me anything, it’s the staggering number of Right Wingers in this country who have little to no concern for what’s best for society.  

All you R’s out there, Why is that? Your perceived personal “freedoms” “trump” potentially saving tens of thousands of lives.  These are human beings just like you and me.  

For a party who claims to want to protect unborn babies, many of you seem to care awfully little for them when they do enter this world. 

Babies are at near zero risk for Covid complications.  Thought I would throw that out there since it’s the Plague thread and not an abortion thread.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

You must know 50 million right wingers for such a claim. 

This would be a great time to insert a tweet.  "So-and-So was a great man, a firefighter, loved his country, his dog Spot, was involved in church activities and charity, but he refused to get vaxed.  Said he was healthy and didn't need to.  Well he got covid late last night, and now he is dead.  This is his daughter's friend.  Retweet and tell everyone you know. Get vaxxed before it is too late!"

(paid for by the Biden administration, FB, Twitter, google, CNN, NPR, MSNBC, Amazon, Tesla, Zoom, 60 Minutes, and Faucci)

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, admo said:

This would be a great time to insert a tweet.  "So-and-So was a great man, a firefighter, loved his country, his dog Spot, was involved in church activities and charity, but he refused to get vaxed.  Said he was healthy and didn't need to.  Well he got covid late last night, and now he is dead.  This is his daughter's friend.  Retweet and tell everyone you know. Get vaxxed before it is too late!"

(paid for by the Biden administration, FB, Twitter, google, CNN, NPR, MSNBC, Amazon, Tesla, Zoom, 60 Minutes, and Faucci)

This post missed the point and makes no sense.   

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

^The goal and why vaccinations are important. Florida hospitals are now shutting down non-emergency surgeries so the beds are available for covid patients. This is where vaccines affect everyone. When hospitalizations are so high it can impact anyone needing medical care. We have a tool to decrease hospitalizations before they happen. 

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, admo said:

I have an employee whose brother was an extreme anti vaxer that thought the government was implanting chips.  He died over the weekend from COVID.  Not all posts like that are some Biden administration's back room attempt to fool everyone into getting vaccinated.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

@BigRedBuster  My post was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I am for vaccinations.  I'm sorry to hear about the anti-vaxxer.  I too lost a friend in Houston because he thought the same way.  It really sucks.  And most of my friends in the community aren't getting vax no matter what (gov't trust issue). It sucks too. The vote Dem. 

• Plus1 3

I'm  not sure I get the "government trust" issue anymore. 

We turn to science -- or at least private chemical manufacturers -- all the time to solve every issue imaginable, from sod webworm infestations, to adult-onset diabetes, to artificial flavor enhancers, to carbon-fiber automobiles. The government often provides funding for promising technologies that will aid people, in addition to helping American companies license intellectual property worldwide and make lots of money. The government also monitors the other end, but regulatory agencies like the FDA typically get grief for slowing down product releases in the name of public safety; how often do we hear organized protests that a promising drug needs more time to truly account for unintended side effects?

And, you know....that long history of science overcoming diseases that once killed millions, aided by a government that helps in funding and distribution. We used to celebrate being clever and smart, even if few of us understood the science itself. The government agenda -- weirdly enough -- was helping fewer citizens die. 

So again, two sides to every story. But the side that spreads doubt about vaccine efficacy and government agendas is the wrong side, and they crossed this line under the guidance of the rightwing grievance industry.

I mean, there are some good reasons not to trust the government, but this isn't one of them. 

Here's what common sense sounds like:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/07/anatomy-of-a-vaccine-breakthrough/619562/?fbclid=IwAR1XQX0sOXPC7LJLPiUH7jTuEujd-NR6ai_Wk_Tmv7YStcpJZu3iLvlPjl4

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:
This is where vaccines affect everyone. When hospitalizations are so high it can impact anyone needing medical care. We have a tool to decrease hospitalizations before they happen. 

Good post.

Something else that affects most everyone - Medicare and Medicaid. Costs associated with these programs spiked in 2020 due to a) increased job loss and b) expansion of the programs. Who funds those programs? We do through our taxes. And we can bet all we own that a good chunk of the people who are ignoring the vaccines and COVID protocols are people who rely on those programs for healthcare costs. 

Obviously, my taxes pay for a lot of stuff I don't necessarily support, but that's not really the point. The point is that we all should have a standing interest in societal health. After we tackle COVID, we should probably start efforting an all out push on obesity and related unhealthy lifestyle habits.

• Plus1 1

Virginia has a cool dashboard. It lets you split numbers by vaccinated and unvaccinated. I was curious with how it looked with the delta variant and all the talk about vaccine effectiveness, so these are the numbers for July.

Unvaccinated Cases: 12,784..........Vaccinated Cases: 303

Unvaccinated Hospitalizations: 413..........Vaccinated Hospitalizations: 17

Unvaccinated Deaths: 18..........Vaccinated Deaths: 1

Also keep in mind 45+ individuals in Virginia are vaxxed at a 70% rate. 

• Plus1 1