The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

6 hours ago, admo said:

I don't recall heavy talk about covid hospitalization and deaths last year concerning kids (under 18), especially 12 and under.  Like, even college kids were ok around covid. 

Makes one wonder why social media and cable tv news networks have been increasingly talking about this sudden children covid crisis now for the past month?  A striking message with fear for children getting covid.  It seems to align with getting them vaxxed, when 8 months ago it wasn't a thing.  Or 16 months ago.  Or 4 months ago.  

What changed so suddenly?

it's called the delta variant.  

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Careful, a lot of people on this board think that Democrats are just as bad with their COVID messaging as Republicans. A few more posts like this will get them turned on you! #DESANTIS2024

They aren't as bad but they aren't great at it.

People on both extremes, not caring and zero covid, are exhausting to listen to. 

• Plus1 2

46 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

How is that?

It's how organisms mutate.  Let's say everyone over 50 gets vaccinated and everyone under 50 doesn't.  The organism can mutate to the variant that is most likely to attack the host that is most vulnerable.  Variations of the organism that are more effective against people over 50, would tend to die off while variations of the organism that can thrive in the unprotected population will reproduce and become stronger.  So, over time, what you end up with is a variant that is more effective against attacking the population that isn't protected (younger people).

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, jaws said:

They aren't as bad but they aren't great at it.

People on both extremes, not caring and zero covid, are exhausting to listen to. 

I agree.

But look, one side leads to deaths and hospitalizations and the other relentlessly pushes masks. These are nowhere near equivalent. 

Just because they're both annoying to hear doesn't mean that the have the same impact on society. Florida, Texas, and Louisiana have hospitals filling with COVID patients. They could've avoided that with a free 10 minute appointment to get vaccinated in the last 2 months and they've chosen not to.

What is the single greatest indicator of vaccine refusal? Support of Trump/the GOP. So yes, Democrats are annoying but their messaging is not leading to increased hospitalizations or deaths.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

You shouldn’t be doing something just because a politician or the media says so. At the same time they can be an idiot and a hypocrite and be telling you the right thing. Idk why more people don’t utilize a local doctor they trust. A lot of folks go to a mechanic for car advice, a plumber to fix their pipes but go to Twitter for life altering health advice. 

That is who we talk too.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

What is the single greatest indicator of vaccine refusal? Support of Trump/the GOP. So yes, Democrats are annoying but their messaging is not leading to increased hospitalizations or deaths.

You're half right... https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/31/us/virus-unvaccinated-americans.html

In one group are those who say they are adamant in their refusal of the coronavirus vaccines; they include a mix of people but tend to be disproportionately white, rural, evangelical Christian and politically conservative, surveys show.

In the other are those who say they are open to getting a shot but have been putting it off or want to wait and see before making a decision; they are a broad range of people, but tend to be a more diverse and urban group, including many younger people, Black and Latino Americans, and Democrats.

I live in VERY conservative Douglas county Colorado. We hit the 70% vaccination rate some time ago and I think are over 50% among the young ones.  We also happen to be a very affluent and well educated county. Maybe that has something to do with it, not sure.  I suspect Trump won this county easily. 

In another note, Lindsey Graham is vaccinated and has COVID. His statement was still positive toward getting vaccinated. This RI Dem leader....not so much.

There are hateful people on both sides.

image.thumb.jpeg.17eaeacf662c6ae53caaff5863599167.jpeg

• Plus1 3

54 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's how organisms mutate.  Let's say everyone over 50 gets vaccinated and everyone under 50 doesn't.  The organism can mutate to the variant that is most likely to attack the host that is most vulnerable.  Variations of the organism that are more effective against people over 50, would tend to die off while variations of the organism that can thrive in the unprotected population will reproduce and become stronger.  So, over time, what you end up with is a variant that is more effective against attacking the population that isn't protected (younger people).

So you are describing anatomy and not really age.  Age just played a role in who got vaccinated.  Your larger point applies in that virus mutate to survive and replicate faster.  

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I agree.

But look, one side leads to deaths and hospitalizations and the other relentlessly pushes masks. These are nowhere near equivalent. 

Just because they're both annoying to hear doesn't mean that the have the same impact on society. Florida, Texas, and Louisiana have hospitals filling with COVID patients. They could've avoided that with a free 10 minute appointment to get vaccinated in the last 2 months and they've chosen not to.

I don’t think African Americans supported Trump/GOP in great numbers. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So you are describing anatomy and not really age.  Age just played a role in who got vaccinated.  Your larger point applies in that virus mutate to survive and replicate faster.  

Thus...my usage of "sort of" in my comment.

We vaccinated older people and not kids.  So, the virus can mutate to be more effective when attacking younger people.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Thus...my usage of "sort of" in my comment.

We vaccinated older people and not kids.  So, the virus can mutate to be more effective when attacking younger people.

Is our Delta variant different than the Delta variant that started in India?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Is our Delta variant different than the Delta variant that started in India?

I'm not going to get into the finer minutia of this variant or that variant and if it pertains to my comment.

My comment was simple and only to one point.  It can mutate to the population that isn't vaccinated.  That is the younger people in the population.