The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This will be interesting to see how this works out.

De Blasio is focusing on requirements for vaccines, rather than masks, to deal with delta. The mayor has stopped short of mandating masks in indoor places for vaccinated residents, saying he wants to preserve an incentive for people to get their shots. The city also offered $100 incentives, and 11,000 New Yorkers have stepped up to collect, the mayor said. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-03/nyc-to-require-restaurant-customers-to-show-vaccination-proof 

2 hours ago, nic said:

I live in VERY conservative Douglas county Colorado. We hit the 70% vaccination rate some time ago and I think are over 50% among the young ones.  We also happen to be a very affluent and well educated county. Maybe that has something to do with it, not sure.  I suspect Trump won this county easily. 

In another note, Lindsey Graham is vaccinated and has COVID. His statement was still positive toward getting vaccinated. This RI Dem leader....not so much.

There are hateful people on both sides.

image.thumb.jpeg.17eaeacf662c6ae53caaff5863599167.jpeg

Douglas County is not ‘very’ conservative by national standards. Trump won it 52-45. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not going to get into the finer minutia of this variant or that variant and if it pertains to my comment.

My comment was simple and only to one point.  It can mutate to the population that isn't vaccinated.  That is the younger people in the population.

But it’s not really true, though. Mutations occur more readily in willing hosts (unvaccinated), but that doesn’t mean the mutations necessarily steer away and fail to target vaccinated hosts. Delta is proof of that. Similar to antibiotic resistant bacteria. The mutations take hold in weakly resistant people who are perhaps not taking the correct antibiotic dose, etc. These infections eventually breakthrough and you’ve got a dominant bacterial strain that is much more robust. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not going to get into the finer minutia of this variant or that variant and if it pertains to my comment.

My comment was simple and only to one point.  It can mutate to the population that isn't vaccinated.  That is the younger people in the population.

The only reason I asked the question is because if it’s generally the same variant, then it didn’t actually mutate because kd vaccines as India is not vaccinated 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Douglas County is not ‘very’ conservative by national standards. Trump won it 52-45. 

It's the most conservative county in the Denver metro area (which covers 6 counties I think).  My son has played a number of baseball tournaments in that area over the past 2 years, and being around it numerous times, the area residents felt like COVID wasn't an issue, and they barely had any restrictions.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

It is trust me. My take from neighborhood talk is that more women turned away from Trump in 2020, but these same women were about to recall a liberal to moderate school board over COVID handling.  More of an anti Trump vote versus Biden vote.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, nic said:

It is trust me. My take from neighborhood talk is that more women turned away from Trump in 2020, but these same women were about to recall a liberal to moderate school board over COVID handling.  More of an anti Trump vote versus Biden vote.

Douglas County was part of a the suburban shift which was prominent all across the country.  Trump carried these areas huge in 2016, but his margin in 2020 was much smaller.  There is a ring around Denver in the suburbs which used to be mostly Conservative, but the residents are shifting their thoughts and voting patterns to be more moderate/liberal (count me in as a recent shifter).

9 minutes ago, nic said:

I perked up because I work in Douglas county. I also spend a lot of time in Louisiana and South Dakota. If Douglas county is VERY conservative, then what are those other places?

6 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I perked up because I work in Douglas county. I also spend a lot of time in Louisiana and South Dakota. If Douglas county is VERY conservative, then what are those other places?

So, you are aware of what Douglas County is like.  But, everything is relative.  DC is the most conservative county in the Denver-metro area, but it's not even close when comparing it to areas like Weld County, the Western Slope, or other states like Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, or the Dakotas.

In 2020, summer high school baseball teams were looking for available fields for tournaments, and the only fields which were available were in Douglas County and Weld County, due to their looser COVID restrictions.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

You're half right... https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/31/us/virus-unvaccinated-americans.html

In one group are those who say they are adamant in their refusal of the coronavirus vaccines; they include a mix of people but tend to be disproportionately white, rural, evangelical Christian and politically conservative, surveys show.

In the other are those who say they are open to getting a shot but have been putting it off or want to wait and see before making a decision; they are a broad range of people, but tend to be a more diverse and urban group, including many younger people, Black and Latino Americans, and Democrats.

It looks like that link was paywalled so I didn't get a chance to read it. 

But you are correct, minority populations also are less likely to get vaccinated which is unfortunate. This likely stems from decades of mistreatment by people in power.

The difference is that for white conservatives, this distrust of government was carefully manufactured and fed to them during the Obama years and culminated in the election of Trump. 

Hopefully for situations like this, officials can win back trust so the country can respond to crisis more effectively. 

• Plus1 1