The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Impose the same mandate that didn’t prevent the their wave anyways??  We would be better served to if it was a singular focus on vaccines and getting over peoples hesitancy. 

actually...were we under a mask mandate when this wave started?    and why do you refer to it as "their wave"?  

8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So, you are aware of what Douglas County is like.  But, everything is relative.  DC is the most conservative county in the Denver-metro area, but it's not even close when comparing it to areas like Weld County, the Western Slope, or other states like Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, or the Dakotas.

In 2020, summer high school baseball teams were looking for available fields for tournaments, and the only fields which were available were in Douglas County and Weld County, due to their looser COVID restrictions.

Yep. I live in Weld County and sort of giggled when Douglass was being called conservative. Sure it may be the most conservative in the Denver metro area but Weld is basically the Wild West of conservatism in Colorado. I know restaurants that never changed a thing throughout the whole pandemic. Kinda crazy. Still more moderate/liberal than most places in Nebraska outside of Omaha/Lincoln.

• Oh Yeah! 1

8 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Look it up if you would like to know I guess 

so you are unable to answer the question.  

fwiw...you mentioned india the other day when talking about the delta variant.    when delta was raging there they were reporting over 400k new cases a day and several thousand deaths per day.    i guess it was a disaster for them but you were only concentrating on the fact that it finally slowed down for them.    

and as far as mask mandates go.....we have pretty much only had mask mandates after surges have begun...then lifted them as soon as the surge started receding as far as i know.   and in many deep red states mask mandates have practically been declared illegal.   

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, nic said:

I almost get the sense from reading your follow up post that whoever wrote this might distrust the government...at least the Republican/Conservative side. I will take look however.

I was very young, but loved the Gipper. He was sort of like a Grandpa, memory loss and all.

My distrust of politicians comes from them lying all the time, and denying events when they get caught. It's harder to get away with nowadays. Also the fact that the decisions they make are not for us but for them to stay in power. Too many games being played. Both sides. Seems like very few politicians have been straight shooters over the years, and the ones that are don't last long or are bat crap crazy.

Politicians act and behave in ways that get them elected. Lying is always better than telling the truth, etc.

10 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Sorry typo,  ‘third wave’.  Mask mandates didn’t stop the third wave

The goal of masks is to make them less severe.

Florida and Texas will always get hit hard because of their large populations. But the governors should act least act responibily and implement policies that save lives. 

By they don't because the @Archy1221s in their state won't vote for them if they do. 

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, commando said:

so you are unable to answer the question.  

fwiw...you mentioned india the other day when talking about the delta variant.    when delta was raging there they were reporting over 400k new cases a day and several thousand deaths per day.    i guess it was a disaster for them but you were only concentrating on the fact that it finally slowed down for them.    

and as far as mask mandates go.....we have pretty much only had mask mandates after surges have begun...then lifted them as soon as the surge started receding as far as i know.   and in many deep red states mask mandates have practically been declared illegal.   

My county had a mask mandate summer through April:dunno  I would classify my state as pretty red.  

fwiw…yes Covid slowed down for India about as quickly as it rose.  Thank you for pointing out what I already stated as a response to someone else who wondered about a certain outcome of which I pointed him in the direction of an example.  I made zero judgments on said outcome.  Your outrage is misplaced per usual. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep. I live in Weld County and sort of giggled when Douglass was being called conservative. Sure it may be the most conservative in the Denver metro area but Weld is basically the Wild West of conservatism in Colorado. I know restaurants that never changed a thing throughout the whole pandemic. Kinda crazy. Still more moderate/liberal than most places in Nebraska outside of Omaha/Lincoln.

I don’t know Weld county very well. El Paso seems like the most conservative populated area. I was talking about the Denver/Boulder area. The more rural you get the more conservative the area seems to be. My point was that Douglas is still conservative and vaccinated well, and I suspect it has more to do with education and money. The high schools here are going back full time, no masks, no quarantine for exposure, just if you test positive. No mandatory testing either. The Delta will rip through the schools. The youngest ones won’t even notice, then it will be over I short order.

On a side note, I told my wife to ask the doc about vaccinating kids at my sons physical yesterday. He gave some info on risks of taking any vaccine and  said this type of vaccine is generally safe. He mentioned his personal observations with kids who got COVID. He then basically said, do your research, make a call and live with it. He didn’t make a recommendation either way.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The goal of masks is to make them less severe.

Florida and Texas will always get hit hard because of their large populations. But the governors should act least act responibily and implement policies that save lives. 

By they don't because the @Archy1221s in their state won't vote for them if they do. 

Fwiw I voted for my current governor.  Maybe understand what your talking about before including me into your s#!t talking posts.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

My county had a mask mandate summer through April:dunno  I would classify my state as pretty red.  

fwiw…yes Covid slowed down for India about as quickly as it rose.  Thank you for pointing out what I already stated as a response to someone else who wondered about a certain outcome of which I pointed him in the direction of an example.  I made zero judgments on said outcome.  Your outrage is misplaced per usual. 

your county?   in your post i was responding to you said that mask mandates did not stop the delta variant.    i assumed you meant in the country rather than just your county.   so...how is your county doing with the delta variant?  is it  surging there?  when did the surge start if it is surging?    was it after the mask mandate ended?    if it isn't surging.....what was the point of the post i responded to in the first place?

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Fwiw I voted for my current governor.  Maybe understand what your talking about before including me into your s#!t talking posts.  

I use you (and your blind regurgitation of conservative talking points) as a proxy for support of Republican candidates in office, it's nothing personal. 

The reason DeSantis can threaten to withdraw funding for schools who wish to impose mask mandates - despite his state leading the country hospitalizations amongst children (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/08/02/florida-leads-the-nation-in-kids-hospitalized-for-covid/%3foutputType=amp) - is because of blind support for the Republican in his state - other "Archy1221's" who also regurgitate blind conservative talking points.

By your own admission with your post history, he is your choice to be the Republican candidate for President. While I'm glad you voted across party lines, it doesn't excuse who you support nationally. It's a Republican-race-to-the-bottom in order to be the 2024 nominee which you're participating in. 

• Plus1 1

From July 2020 https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/10/889691823/more-than-20-u-s-states-now-require-face-masks-in-public

The list of states with mask mandates includes California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia.

Similar mandates in Texas and Ohio are limited to counties where the coronavirus case rate surpasses government thresholds. Hawaii also has a statewide mask mandate, which applies to customers and staff at businesses.

Two of the worst-hit states — Florida and Arizona — still don't have statewide mandates, leaving the matter up to cities and counties. It wasn't until last month that Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey rescinded his ban that had prevented local officials from requiring face coverings.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I obviously don’t live out there so I’m curious on how the Covid outcomes in terms of infections per 100,000 compared to the Weld county and Denver metro county’s ended up through March of this year.  We’re they comparable even though the mitigation was quite different or did metro Denver so much better in case load compared to Weld county?  
Thanks in advance for sharing if you you happen to know that info off hand. 

• Fire 1