The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

During times of crisis, America has to do what it does best. We rally around each other, stand up, and blame immigrants and poor people. 

It has nothing to do with idiots and red states not getting vaccinated. It's surely the dirty immigrants from Mexico, a country of 127 million people that *checks notes* is reporting as many daily cases of COVID as the state of Florida.

Not  a comment on the basic premise of your editorial...but I am pretty sure that a very large percentage of illegal immigrants on the southern border may come through Mexico...but they are not from Mexico.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Not  a comment on the basic premise of your editorial...but I am pretty sure that a very large percentage of illegal immigrants on the southern border may come through Mexico...but they are not from Mexico.

That is a fair point, and is largely true..

But as you stated my main point of my sparky reply: the conservative talking point painting dirty immigrants as a source of COVID is gross and appeals to racist attitudes. 

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

That is a fair point, and is largely true..

But as you stated my main point of my sparky reply: the conservative talking point painting dirty immigrants as a source of COVID is gross and appeals to racist attitudes. 

Very true in that it plays to the base racism of the far right. Trump brought that out to light very early in his campaign. Similar to the rapists/murderers line.

However, as the WHO (not The Who) pointed out earlier this week, the US is far ahead of 3rd world countries in the availability of getting a Covid shot. So, the half a million or so that have been detained at the border in 2021 have not likely received the vaccine in their home country, before they got here.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

^

Wife is a school counselor in one of the biggest districts here.  She was glad the mandate was announced and then mentioned oh well for all of the pissed off anti mask parents who will predictably again b!^@h and moan about that and who knows what else.  Screw 'em.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

From your Miami Herald link: 

"The administration was planning on lifting the rule, adopted by former President Donald Trump last year, according to The New York Times. But on Monday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that noncitizens migrating to the U.S. from Mexico or Canada create “a serious danger of the introduction of COVID-19 into the United States.”

In Florida. 

18 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

During times of crisis, America has to do what it does best. We rally around each other, stand up, and blame immigrants and poor people. 

It has nothing to do with idiots and red states not getting vaccinated. It's surely the dirty immigrants from Mexico, a country of 127 million people that *checks notes* is reporting as many daily cases of COVID as the state of Florida.

In my single days I volunteered to mentor inner city youth. All of the kids I mentored were immigrants from Mexico. Wonderful folks and families who for one reason or another lost a husband/father. The thing I appreciated most about the culture was the sense of family and hospitality....and the food. The food was awesome.  

Later my own family volunteered to help refugees that had come to the US after being displace by war, politics, genocide really. Our job was not just to befriend them but to help them adapt to the US. Help with speaking English, finding a job, setting up a bank account, saving $$, transportation, helping the kids with school…. The mom was sick and could not work, but the older kids pitched in and  found jobs. Within about 3 years, they were able out of the bad part of the city and bought  a home. It was really cool to see. They have embraced the opportunity this great country has to offer and are flourishing now. Helping others like themselves come to the US and settle down.

Did I do a good job virtue signaling? I learned it during the pandemic from the shamers. Its all the rage. :-)

For the record, I am pro-immigration. Controlled immigration. What we have now is not that. Not anywhere close. I think this cartoon is once again about hypocrisy of politics. I think the hesitancy with the Vax is more about socio-economic status, and younger folks thinking they are impervious to the virus. I am not sure I know any conservative or liberal in my circle of influence that is not vaccinated except for the younger ones and a few that had COVID and figure that is good enough. I would like the leaders in the states that are under vaccinated to encourage it, but not mandate it. I would like people to come to this country through a controlled funnel so we know who, when and why they are coming here. Get them tested at the very least and get them vaccinated. I am sure we have enough vaccine for that. I heard we are now requiring it for people visiting the country. Why not make sure the people rushing across the southern boarder get it too. In order to do that you have to stop the rush and be able to find them.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
34 minutes ago, nic said:

In my single days I volunteered to mentor inner city youth. All of the kids I mentored were immigrants from Mexico. Wonderful folks and families who for one reason or another lost a husband/father. The thing I appreciated most about the culture was the sense of family and hospitality....and the food. The food was awesome.  

Later my own family volunteered to help refugees that had come to the US after being displace by war, politics, genocide really. Our job was not just to befriend them but to help them adapt to the US. Help with speaking English, finding a job, setting up a bank account, saving $$, transportation, helping the kids with school…. The mom was sick and could not work, but the older kids pitched in and  found jobs. Within about 3 years, they were able out of the bad part of the city and bought  a home. It was really cool to see. They have embraced the opportunity this great country has to offer and are flourishing now. Helping others like themselves come to the US and settle down.

Did I do a good job virtue signaling? I learned it during the pandemic from the shamers. Its all the rage. :-)

For the record, I am pro-immigration. Controlled immigration. What we have now is not that. Not anywhere close. I think this cartoon is once again about hypocrisy of politics. I think the hesitancy with the Vax is more about socio-economic status, and younger folks thinking they are impervious to the virus. I am not sure I know any conservative or liberal in my circle of influence that is not vaccinated except for the younger ones and a few that had COVID and figure that is good enough. I would like the leaders in the states that are under vaccinated to encourage it, but not mandate it. I would like people to come to this country through a controlled funnel so we know who, when and why they are coming here. Get them tested at the very least and get them vaccinated. I am sure we have enough vaccine for that. I heard we are now requiring it for people visiting the country. Why not make sure the people rushing across the southern boarder get it too. In order to do that you have to stop the rush and be able to find them.

Nice work! 

• Thanks 1