The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

38 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Edit:  @DevoHusker  I want to say you and I are probably pretty similar in our beliefs; at least based on posts here.  What's scary in the age of the internet is we both read those posts entirely differently.  

Agree on beliefs/stance and in the influence of the Internet

12 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

You are correct that he didn't mention electoral concerns in the post. But others elsewhere certainly have. 

But @Frott Scostcertainly means anti Vax folks can "f@$k off..and die". Probably not the same stance libs had back in March/April of last year, because it was liberal States and cities. But now that it is the deep red South its "if they die, they die"

There wasn't a vaccine in March/April of last year.

And again, you noticed he said "anti-vax".  People who are hesitant to get vaccinated aren't doing so based on politics; at least that's what we've been told here.  We both hopefully know that isn't true for the most part.

But to not feel sympathy for a person who unfortunately dies due to ignorance, is NOT the same same as cheering on deaths for political reasons.

18 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

You are correct that he didn't mention electoral concerns in the post. But others elsewhere certainly have. 

But @Frott Scostcertainly means anti Vax folks can "f@$k off..and die". Probably not the same stance libs had back in March/April of last year, because it was liberal States and cities. But now that it is the deep red South its "if they die, they die"

Oh man, did we have a vaccine that could end this pandemic back in March/April of last year? Must have missed it. 

And I never said I WANTED them to die. The best thing that could happen would be for them to get it, get really sick, get kicked out of the hospital since they think their immune system is the best defense against covid, fully recover and all their family and friends that are unvaccinated get really scared about getting the virus due to seeing a loved one with it and decide to get vaccinated. Thats the best scenario. 

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

So wouldn't that make it a good idea to not add to those numbers if possible?

Sure, just don’t freak out when a news org says a hospital is running at capacity.  They are designed to do that and be available for excess capacity in short runs. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Sure, just don’t freak out when a news org says a hospital is running at capacity.  They are designed to do that and be available for excess capacity in short runs. 

I understand.  But that's why there is a "freak out".  The hospitals are running at capacity due to normal requirements.  Added pressure can make things very difficult if not impossible to run at normal operating procedures.

Nursing shortage, and the impending widening hole in the nursing staff due to required vaccinations, will make things even tougher.  The rational discussion about COVID-19 has always been about the healthcare system's ability to care for patients.  Only crazy people think "it's not a big deal so quit being chickens" or "wear or mask or we are all dead!!!"

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I understand.  But that's why there is a "freak out".  The hospitals are running at capacity due to normal requirements.  Added pressure can make things very difficult if not impossible to run at normal operating procedures.

Nursing shortage, and the impending widening hole in the nursing staff due to required vaccinations, will make things even tougher.  The rational discussion about COVID-19 has always been about the healthcare system's ability to care for patients.  Only crazy people think "it's not a big deal so quit being chickens" or "wear or mask or we are all dead!!!"

The bolded is what people tend to forget IMO. 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Yes.  As I said in my post as an "aside".

Now what does that have to do with hospitals "normally" operating at 98-105% capacity without the added stresses of COVID?

People are freaking out because hospitals are close to capacity during this Covid outbreak.  They will be able to handle it.  

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

People are freaking out because hospitals are close to capacity during this Covid outbreak.  They will be able to handle it.  

Hopefully they can continue to handle it without interrupting outpatient or elective services.  I know doctors in Omaha are warning there are no more pediatric beds.  Maybe they are exaggerating; I hope so.