The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ahhh...this is how they are going to get the rocket surgeons that haven't gotten the vaccine to take it.  They aren't going to be getting the "Pfizer vaccine."  They are just going to be taking Comirnaty.

That's classic 4 dimension chess right there.

1). Anyone else here confused on what a rocket surgeon is?  Or is someone just trying to have a funny?  
2). Drugs get Brand names once they get approval.  It allows companies to market those drugs.  The Brand name isn’t 4D chess so people don’t think they are getting “the Pfizer shot”. Someone doesn’t understand that Pfizer will be marketing this vaccine to the public:dunno

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

1). Anyone else here confused on what a rocket surgeon is?  Or is someone just trying to have a funny?  
2). Drugs get Brand names once they get approval.  It allows companies to market those drugs.  The Brand name isn’t 4D chess so people don’t think they are getting “the Pfizer shot”. Someone doesn’t understand that Pfizer will be marketing this vaccine to the public:dunno

Someone doesn't understand sarcasm.  

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, MR is arguing that Dana is in fact putting out doubt based on the framing - it's the main point of the video. For example, Dana could have simply reported the vaccine is now officially approved by the FDA and not even brought up if the process was rushed.

Hehehehe.  Hope you didn’t pull a hammy with that stretch. 
They knew exactly what the guest they had on was going to say.  Which was that the approval was good news for everyone.   

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Hehehehe.  Hope you didn’t pull a hammy with that stretch. 
They knew exactly what the guest they had on was going to say.  Which was that the approval was good news for everyone.   

So then why inject doubt with the lead in? If the approval is good news for everyone, then there's no need for it, which is MR's point. Dana's lead in could have been: "FDA officially approves Pfizer vaccine. Let's talk to an expert about why this is good for everyone."

It'll be interesting to see which direction Fox and other right-wing media go with the vaccine. They've been slowly moving away from anti-vax, so this might be the excuse they need to switch over completely, but I'm betting they'll switch back to anti-vax when the base rejects that switch.

Here's the stupid thing about people waiting for the FDA approval.  The only reason to wait is if they didn't think it would be approved.  If they all knew it was going to be approved, then why wait?  It's the same vaccine today as it was last week or three months ago.  They know that.  But, they chose to use the lack of approval as an excuse.

This is also why I don't think this approval is going to change much with these people.  

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Of course

I don't know what The Majority Report is personally, so I ended up finding the actual Fox News segment. I'll circle back to The Majority Report in a second.

That segment introduction, and particularly the ensuing 60-90 seconds, is objectively bad broadcasting. Without citing any critics by name, they make a generic statement about something these supposed "critics" think. Their interview subject goes on to explain that this approval is a great step forward and what it means overall. The very next question is then "what took so long?" :facepalm: So, they lead the segment with "was this rushed," and then immediately flipped the questioning to "why'd it take so long?" Like... what? At no point are any of these critics named, so for all we know, it could've been Joe Blow on Facebook... which is not justification enough for anything.

As for The Majority Report... I do think they're making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill, at least based on the segment itself. That segment was a bit s#!t and unsurprising from Fox but IDK if it warranted a 12 minute conversation lol.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

If they all knew it was going to be approved, then why wait?  It's the same vaccine today as it was last week or three months ago.  They know that.  But, they chose to use the lack of approval as an excuse.

Some here have tried to justify the behavior through the lens of "FDA approval matters to some people."

Maybe it does, but if it does, then I'll say now what I've said then - a lot of those people are being illogical. The core science and facts behind the vaccine development have been transparent for months. My doctor explained it all to me in April. I even spoke to my father's doctor about it at the time. The lack of full FDA approval didn't even become a popular talking point until the last month or two, which heavily suggests that it was a manufactured talking point in order to further subvert the vaccine efforts.

And again, people have no idea the harm they do to their body or the products they consume that are non FDA approved on a regular basis, so people will have to forgive me if I found their anti-vaccine arguments ludicrous. Notice how many of these people are obese, pale, generally unhealthy, smokers, etc.? Like... get a grip on yourself.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2