The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

He flat out says we'll be living with Covid forever.  I say maybe, maybe not.  Too soon to tell what the virus will do and what modern medicine will come up with.

He then says we'll be living in forever pandemic as if this is how it will always be.  Me, I can't say with any certainly what will happen.

I can say throwing up your hands and forging headlong into this as he's continually suggested hasn't and isn't working.  That just leads to more death and suffering.  Can't believe we even have this debate in our country. 

I see it more that he, like many many others, is pontificating a view that you (and me btw) disagree with, but the fact remains...we don't know what we don't know...as Rumsfeld once said. You may end up being right, but so might he.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I think this conversation would be taking place regardless however, because even if we hit 90%, there would still be something else that one side or the other would use as the new "I'm right/you're wrong" narrative. 

Perhaps, but I think at that point we would have to consider the context and scope of the naysayers. There are always groups of people complaining about something in this country. With a 90% vaccinated population, I doubt it would be leading the headlines or that we'd be witnessing countless school board meeting blow ups over something like a cloth that covers your face ya know?

For awhile there, it seemed like a COVID-less life was in our future. Mask mandates were gone, the nightly news was leading with non-COVID stories. Events were taking place. Then we realized too many people were unvaccinated, a new disease variant was spreading and having significant consequences because of our unvaccinated population... these things were, IMO, avoidable.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I share this not because I share his view, though Shapiro is well spoken and organized, but more for the opportunity to read the comments that cover the entire spectrum in how folks stand on the issue.

Shapiro does this often his arguments, typically rellying on stating something semi-factual and tying it to a completely unrelated opinion to give it credibility. 

He is most likely correct - COVID is endemic. In the future, it'll simply be another common cold.

The goal of mask mandates (or like health measures) are not made because of an assumption that we can "end the pandemic", as he claims, but are attempts to keep local hospitals from becoming more overwhelmed. This was the rational behind the announcement in Lincoln. The complete breakdown of the Healthcare systems in states like Louisiana are more examples of what we're trying to avoid. 

In sum, in typical Shapiro fashion, he's making a factual statement and tying it to some crackpot right-wing position to justify whatever form of crazy the political right is schilling on that particular day.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Shapiro does this often his arguments, typically rellying on stating something semi-factual and tying it to a completely unrelated opinion to give it credibility. 

He is most likely correct - COVID is endemic. In the future, it'll simply be another common cold.

The goal of mask mandates (or like health measures) are not made because of an assumption that we can "end the pandemic", as he claims, but are attempts to keep local hospitals from becoming more overwhelmed. This was the rational behind the announcement in Lincoln. The complete breakdown of the Healthcare systems in states like Louisiana are more examples of what we're trying to avoid. 

In sum, in typical Shapiro fashion, he's making a factual statement and tying it to some crackpot right-wing position to justify whatever form of crazy the political right is schilling on that particular day.

Actually agree with you on most of this. Where I don't side w/you is on the allegation that he's the only one with this approach..his tactics are similar to the "kinda true" scare tactics employed by the political leftists...

5 hours ago, nic said:

Teenager gets a vaccine. Parents are aware of possible side affects. Teen gets chest pains and shortness of breath. Parents go to urgent care on the weekend because it's cheaper. Urgent care doc asks whether the teen had COVID or got vaccinated. Urgent Care can't fully diagnose, but pulls a CYA and sends the teen to the hospital. I could see this play out as a play it safe scenario. Do urgent cares get notified of the final diagnosis for people they send to the hospital, or is the final outcome typically unknown?

No, they dont get notified. It is against HIPAA to notify anyone not on the immediate care team. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

We've heard on TV, on radio, on CNN, on social media, from biden and in these PR forums to "get vaccinated and wear masks so we can end this pandemic".

Personally I don't think this s#!t is going away for a few more years, at the very minimum.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Enhance said:

I'm not a medical professional so I can't answer your question, but I'm also not sure what that has to do with your suggestion that "people shoot down any info that doesn’t fit what they want to hear."

It doesn’t. When I see the nurse again I was going to inquire for more info, But I doubt she has it. It may boil down to how certain the urgent care doctor was about their diagnosis.

8 minutes ago, jaws said:

Headlines and tweets like this just kill me.  I bet most people don't even read the actual story. Basically don't give it to children under 12 until the data is available and it is approved. 

A screenshot of this tweet will be shared millions of times once the vaccine is approved for kids under 12, no doubt. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Actually agree with you on most of this. Where I don't side w/you is on the allegation that he's the only one with this approach..his tactics are similar to the "kinda true" scare tactics employed by the political leftists...

This approach is not unique to Shapiro, he's just a routine abuser of this tactic.

Another difference is that Shapiro talking points - unlike any leftist employing the same tactic - is routinely one of the most shared posts on Facebook each day. Tens of millions of shares. Similar to reasons why Fox News is the most watched news channel, the political right are far more susceptible. 

Furthermore, Shapiro's post in this particular example seeks to undermine masks and vaccines. Which, again, is dangerous. People will be hospitalized. People will die. All because the right has deemed it politically expedient to question masks.

• Plus1 1