The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

I guess they have to move to Florida or Texas. I heard those states need more health care workers.

A hospital in upstate New York will put baby deliveries on hold after too many workers in its maternity unit resigned over the COVID19 vaccine mandate, according to local reports.

Lewis County General Hospital will be forced to temporarily stop all baby deliveries after Sept. 24 due to the staff's refusal to get vaccinated, WWNY-TV reported.

So far, six employees in the hospital’s maternity ward have chosen to resign instead of getting the vaccine, while another seven are undecided, Lewis County Health System Chief Executive Officer Gerald Cayer said during a news conference on Friday, according to the station.

"If we can pause the service and now focus on recruiting nurses who are vaccinated, we will be able to reengage in delivering babies here in Lewis County," Cayer said.

Since the vaccine was mandated for health care workers on Aug. 23, Cayer said that 30 workers have resigned, 20 of whom held clinical roles like nurses, therapists and technicians, the Watertown Daily Times reported.

43 minutes ago, nic said:

I guess they have to move to Florida or Texas. I heard those states need more health care workers.

A hospital in upstate New York will put baby deliveries on hold after too many workers in its maternity unit resigned over the COVID19 vaccine mandate, according to local reports.

Lewis County General Hospital will be forced to temporarily stop all baby deliveries after Sept. 24 due to the staff's refusal to get vaccinated, WWNY-TV reported.

So far, six employees in the hospital’s maternity ward have chosen to resign instead of getting the vaccine, while another seven are undecided, Lewis County Health System Chief Executive Officer Gerald Cayer said during a news conference on Friday, according to the station.

"If we can pause the service and now focus on recruiting nurses who are vaccinated, we will be able to reengage in delivering babies here in Lewis County," Cayer said.

Since the vaccine was mandated for health care workers on Aug. 23, Cayer said that 30 workers have resigned, 20 of whom held clinical roles like nurses, therapists and technicians, the Watertown Daily Times reported.

how to tell me they are right wingers without telling me they are right wingers.  

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, commando said:

how to tell me they are right wingers without telling me they are right wingers.  

Actually I wasn’t implying they are right wingers, but I see your point. I just assume that Texas And Florida don’t have vaccine mandate...probably many other states too, but those two are in the news.

18 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I really don't. Your sources might be right. However, it makes sense to me that unvaxed folks don't cause mutations, because the virus doesn't have to...they just get infected, so the virus thinks "cool" mission accomplished. 

If the virus meets a vaxed person, and it doesn't infected them, it mutates until the next vaxed dude gets it...

Highly scientific. I know. 

Lol. Hold your applause. 

The Covid vaccines we have here have been shown to reduce transmission.  Even if it's only due to the time an individual is infected.  That reduces the odds of spread.  But it's also been shown to reduce spread via the vaccinated since not ever vaccinated exposed to Covid can even transmit.

Think of it this way.  If everyone in the US was vaccinated the spread of the virus would become virtually nil in no time.  And because there are not a lot of hosts for the virus to infect, replicate, and then that host continue to spread the virus, the chances of mutation are greatly reduced.  It's a numbers game.

The virus is mutating all the time.  Most mutations in nature are not advantageous to the mutant and soon the disappear.  A few help.  In the case of Covid, the Delta variant was a mutation that helped because it made it far more contagious.  The viral load is what, something like 1200 times greater than the original Covid.

Vaccines still are effective with the Delta variant thankfully.  Maybe not long term but for the short term.

Think of the viral transmission in the US if there were no reliable vaccines and the Delta arrived.  The spread would be like a wildfire with the virus constantly mutating.  That's a situation where another even worse mutant is an even higher probability than what we have now with around 60% vaccinated, and far greater than if everyone was vaccinated.

Of course there is a possibility that a virus will develop that the vaccines are marginally effective against.   This is why a situation where you have say, 50 or 60% of the population vaccinated is tenuous.  There's a lot of virus out there to mutate (from the unvaccinated) and a partially vaccinated population.  This could potentially set-up the situation of a mutation "jumping" the vaccine.   Then we'd be back to the drawing board.  Same place we'd be if nobody was vaccinated though since what's the use of a vaccine if nobody uses it?  If nobody uses a vaccine why develop a new one for a new variant?  I guess someone could guess that such a variant would even be worse if it was a mutation that jumped the vaccine but it easily could wind up being less deadly too.

An effective vaccination drive could have brought the R factor down, possibly at one time enough to drive Covid into the dust bin of history.  That's now about as good of chance of....not going to say it this week :koolaid2:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/25/1/17-1901_article

A little bit on R factor.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, nic said:

I manage the compliance unit for a healthcare staffing firm and TX and FL hospitals, as well as every other state in the US, have covid vaccine requirements also. There are very few that dont at this point. 

2 hours ago, nic said:

Actually I wasn’t implying they are right wingers, but I see your point. I just assume that Texas And Florida don’t have vaccine mandate...probably many other states too, but those two are in the news.

Youre wrong. The way things are going, by Christmas my guess is 90%+ of US Hospitals will have covid vaccine requirements. Not a day goes by that I dont get hundreds of emails from hospitals that changed their compliance requirements to require covid vaccine. 

43 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Youre wrong. The way things are going, by Christmas my guess is 90%+ of US Hospitals will have covid vaccine requirements. Not a day goes by that I dont get hundreds of emails from hospitals that changed their compliance requirements to require covid vaccine. 

Then I guess they will be looking for a new line of work. Or a lawsuit maybe. 

2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

The Covid vaccines we have here have been shown to reduce transmission.  Even if it's only due to the time an individual is infected.  That reduces the odds of spread.  But it's also been shown to reduce spread via the vaccinated since not ever vaccinated exposed to Covid can even transmit.

Think of it this way.  If everyone in the US was vaccinated the spread of the virus would become virtually nil in no time.  And because there are not a lot of hosts for the virus to infect, replicate, and then that host continue to spread the virus, the chances of mutation are greatly reduced.  It's a numbers game.

The virus is mutating all the time.  Most mutations in nature are not advantageous to the mutant and soon the disappear.  A few help.  In the case of Covid, the Delta variant was a mutation that helped because it made it far more contagious.  The viral load is what, something like 1200 times greater than the original Covid.

Vaccines still are effective with the Delta variant thankfully.  Maybe not long term but for the short term.

Think of the viral transmission in the US if there were no reliable vaccines and the Delta arrived.  The spread would be like a wildfire with the virus constantly mutating.  That's a situation where another even worse mutant is an even higher probability than what we have now with around 60% vaccinated, and far greater than if everyone was vaccinated.

Of course there is a possibility that a virus will develop that the vaccines are marginally effective against.   This is why a situation where you have say, 50 or 60% of the population vaccinated is tenuous.  There's a lot of virus out there to mutate (from the unvaccinated) and a partially vaccinated population.  This could potentially set-up the situation of a mutation "jumping" the vaccine.   Then we'd be back to the drawing board.  Same place we'd be if nobody was vaccinated though since what's the use of a vaccine if nobody uses it?  If nobody uses a vaccine why develop a new one for a new variant?  I guess someone could guess that such a variant would even be worse if it was a mutation that jumped the vaccine but it easily could wind up being less deadly too.

An effective vaccination drive could have brought the R factor down, possibly at one time enough to drive Covid into the dust bin of history.  That's now about as good of chance of....not going to say it this week :koolaid2:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/25/1/17-1901_article

A little bit on R factor.

Thanks for the info.

• Thanks 1