The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

At this point would you say COVID-19 is overblown, underblown, or simply blown?

If asking me, I would say all of the above, depending on which day it is.

Edited to be more accurate.

Underblown by the right.

Overblown by the left.

Just plain blown due to the fact that 640k people in the US have died from it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

39 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Acknowledge the discrepancy, absolutely. 

But don't completely discount the fact that 98.4% of all confirmed Covid cases didn't die...regardless of vax status. 

Seems like a statistic that should be discussed. 

A 1.6% death rate is an extremely deadly virus.  Without vaccines and with the Delta variant we all probably would have all been exposed eventually.  That works out to 5.25 million deaths in the US.  Cut that death rate in half and it's still brutal.

And that doesn't include the permanently maimed that lived.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Acknowledge the discrepancy, absolutely. 

But don't completely discount the fact that 98.4% of all confirmed Covid cases didn't die...regardless of vax status. 

Seems like a statistic that should be discussed. 

Discussing it doesn’t hurt anything but ignoring that only 2,500 of the 670,000 total Covid deaths occurred in the fully vaccinated would seem to be a lot more important information that people could actually use to do something proactive. The number you’re touting ignores that there is an obvious, safe and highly effective way to prevent becoming a death statistic.

667,500 Covid deaths- not vaccinated

2,500 Covid deaths- vaccinated

Pretty sure there is an important message in these numbers.

People understandably get frustrated (like tik tok girl) and are left with no choice but to think a large segment of the population just doesn’t get it. Picking out and focusing on that percentage in the face of overwhelming evidence that yes, something can be done to protect yourself really isn’t helpful to putting this pandemic behind us.

• Plus1 2

If asking me, I would say all of the above, depending on which day it is.

Edited to be more accurate.

Underblown by the right.

Overblown by the left.

Just plain blown due to the fact that 640k people in the US have died from it.

Couldn't agree more with this. The Left wants to pretend it's the black plague, and the Right likes to pretend it's the sniffles. Both sides are equally ridiculous.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
42 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

64% of Americans have initiated vaccination. Which means in 5ish weeks, we should be looking at around 75% of eligible Americans being fully vaccinated. Which doesn’t seem too horrible. 

@DevoHusker you and I were pretty much correct.  The person in tweet was referencing all Americans whereas in eligible Americans 63% are fully vaccinated and 74% have at least one dose. 

• Plus1 2

Honest question. At this stage, can any of you honestly say that belittling, shaming, calling people stupid, or getting down right incensed at those that are not vaccinated is going to change their minds? 

To my thinking, if they haven't by now...they "ain't gonna".

You are pretty much correct. Anyone who hasn’t seen the light by now may not ever. Belittling and shaming won’t change minds. But I think the last two options, calling them stupid and getting angry, are fair game. Whether they want to acknowledge it or not, the unvaccinated are the ones prolonging this pandemic and giving the virus the opportunity to adapt into something that maybe the vaccines will not control. I think people are within their rights to get angry about that. And of course stupid people do not like being told they’re stupid. That’s not saying “all” of them are stupid. Some/few have legitimate concerns but considering there are so many, and most of the excuses have their roots in political leanings, I do believe most of it is stupidity, willful or otherwise. No reason to pu&&yfoot around calling it what it is.

• Plus1 4

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You are pretty much correct. Anyone who hasn’t seen the light by now may not ever. Belittling and shaming won’t change minds. But I think the last two options, calling them stupid and getting angry, are fair game. Whether they want to acknowledge it or not, the unvaccinated are the ones prolonging this pandemic and giving the virus the opportunity to adapt into something that maybe the vaccines will not control. I think people are within their rights to get angry about that. And of course stupid people do not like being told they’re stupid. That’s not saying “all” of them are stupid. Some/few have legitimate concerns but considering there are so many, and most of the excuses have their roots in political leanings, I do believe most of it is stupidity, willful or otherwise. No reason to pu&&yfoot around calling it what it is.

Thanks for your assessment 

Interesting Data 

Is there any reason not to shame those who could get vaccinated, but won't? Especially the Ivermectin/Hydroxychloroquine nutters? Because those are the people keeping us in this mess, spreading the virus when they could be helping ramp it down.

I see no logical reason not to belittle those people. Where's the justification in letting them continue to screw it up for the rest of us with impunity?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1