The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I'd especially like to see the immunity data for different variants of covid. For example, someone who had variant alpha might not have much immunity to variant delta. The vaccines are much more effective against the variants that are not delta, so I'd pretty surprised if immunity to delta was acquired to someone who had non-delta. With the vaccines, we at least can track the data, but with natural immunity it's a crap shoot.

Wouldn't both be a crap shoot at some point? I mean, if vaccine efficacy wans over time and not everyone has a strong immune response to the vaccine, will we ever really know without testing for antibodies or some other testing? Either way, immunizations and infections are the only way out of this. At some point in time it will be endemic. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I'd especially like to see the immunity data for different variants of covid. For example, someone who had variant alpha might not have much immunity to variant delta. The vaccines are much more effective against the variants that are not delta, so I'd pretty surprised if immunity to delta was acquired to someone who had non-delta. With the vaccines, we at least can track the data, but with natural immunity it's a crap shoot.

I believe some of that is in the link I shared to @NebraskaHarry .  I think previously infected Covid people had better immunity to Delta than vaccine immunity 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, jaws said:

Wouldn't both be a crap shoot at some point? I mean, if vaccine efficacy wans over time and not everyone has a strong immune response to the vaccine, will we ever really know without testing for antibodies or some other testing? Either way, immunizations and infections are the only way out of this. At some point in time it will be endemic. 

Sure, but it's all about getting to the point where it's endemic and no longer epidemic. Infections are the way to overload hospitals and cause unnecessary deaths. Vaccines are the way to minimize hospitalizations and deaths. I think it's abundantly clear one path to getting back to normal is WAY better than the other.

And if there's some way to show empirically that people have the "correct" antibodies (or whatever the right concepts are here) to be immune or have sufficient immunity, then I'm all in favor of testing everyone and counting it that way instead of by vaccine card. But right now we don't have that capability AFAIK. (We can count antibodies, but I haven't seen anything that could translate that into an immunity measure.)

26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I believe some of that is in the link I shared to @NebraskaHarry .  I think previously infected Covid people had better immunity to Delta than vaccine immunity 

Previously infected by which variant? I'm sure people who had delta probably have a better resistance to delta, but what about the people who had covid last year (i.e. one of the previous variants)? Are they as immune to delta as the vaccine or others who have had delta? There's a lot of variables and natural immunity isn't as easy to gather evidence due to lack of control groups. The vaccines are much better studied and understood simply because the studies are much more controlled.

23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Sure, but it's all about getting to the point where it's endemic and no longer epidemic. Infections are the way to overload hospitals and cause unnecessary deaths. Vaccines are the way to minimize hospitalizations and deaths. I think it's abundantly clear one path to getting back to normal is WAY better than the other.

And if there's some way to show empirically that people have the "correct" antibodies (or whatever the right concepts are here) to be immune or have sufficient immunity, then I'm all in favor of testing everyone and counting it that way instead of by vaccine card. But right now we don't have that capability AFAIK. (We can count antibodies, but I haven't seen anything that could translate that into an immunity measure.)

Previously infected by which variant? I'm sure people who had delta probably have a better resistance to delta, but what about the people who had covid last year (i.e. one of the previous variants)? Are they as immune to delta as the vaccine or others who have had delta? There's a lot of variables and natural immunity isn't as easy to gather evidence due to lack of control groups. The vaccines are much better studied and understood simply because the studies are much more controlled.

Infected prior to Delta coming into the US

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Infected prior to Delta coming into the US

Can you link that study or data? The studies I've read from Israel show natural immunity but not which covid variant, although the timing of the studies in Israel make the chances very high that delta was the primary variant.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Can you link that study or data? The studies I've read from Israel show natural immunity but not which covid variant, although the timing of the studies in Israel make the chances very high that delta was the primary variant.

Sure. Give me a day or so.  Not much time today

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/17/2021 at 5:10 PM, RedDenver said:

Page 630 of this thread. Not sure if it’s totally what you are asking though.  It does speak to Delta as a follow up period 

• Plus1 1