The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Just now, Archy1221 said:

I’m pretty sure you are mistaken on the Israel Delta timeline.  Keep in mind, this is an Israeli study on its population so it doesn’t really matter when Delta first appeared in another country.  

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israels-covid-19-vaccine-boosters-show-signs-taming-delta-2021-08-24/

If there's evidence of Israel's variants for the time frame of the study, then that would answer my question, but this article isn't showing that. It's got some subjective lines about when delta hit Israel hard, which would seem to support your assertion but that's very weak evidence.

31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm a bit torn because CNN is highly motivated to put people on camera giving anecdotal evidence to discredit their rival network.  It's not exactly reporting. 

But on the other hand, yeah.....disinformation kills people. 

I'm wondering if the post-mortem on the  Delta surge will link thousands of avoidable deaths to trackable disinformation sources. I'm guessing yes.  I'd like to see some boots on the ground reporting other than CNN's soft serve stuff. 

And of all the lawsuits filed in this country, a wrongful death suit linked to willful disinformation isn't frivolous at this point. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm a bit torn because CNN is highly motivated to put people on camera giving anecdotal evidence to discredit their rival network.  It's not exactly reporting. 

But on the other hand, yeah.....disinformation kills people. 

I'm wondering if the post-mortem on the  Delta surge will link thousands of avoidable deaths to trackable disinformation sources. I'm guessing yes.  I'd like to see some boots on the ground reporting other than CNN's soft serve stuff. 

And of all the lawsuits filed in this country, a wrongful death suit linked to willful disinformation isn't frivolous at this point. 

I am all in favor of accountability in the media.  Unfortunately, it seems as if Carlson ( and others like him ) has straddled the line, even though his intent to pander to his audience is clear to most anyone.  I'll admit I don't have a current catalogue of Carlson's segments handy, so I could be wrong.  If he has clearly presented disinformation to his viewers, the question will be whether he can hide behind the 'I'm an entertainer' curtain.  I imagine he would offer the same defense as KMFDM or Marilyn Manson did after Columbine, which would be somewhat ironic when you remember how Fox News led the charge in hammering them.

53 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I am all in favor of accountability in the media.  Unfortunately, it seems as if Carlson ( and others like him ) has straddled the line, even though his intent to pander to his audience is clear to most anyone.  I'll admit I don't have a current catalogue of Carlson's segments handy, so I could be wrong.  If he has clearly presented disinformation to his viewers, the question will be whether he can hide behind the 'I'm an entertainer' curtain.  I imagine he would offer the same defense as KMFDM or Marilyn Manson did after Columbine, which would be somewhat ironic when you remember how Fox News led the charge in hammering them.

You'd have to go beyond Tucker Carlson -- an individual - and catalogue the opinion and reporting of Fox News at large. Did the news entity give considerably more time to segments discrediting vaccines, the CDC, and Dr. Fauci, as well as segments giving a positive platform to less-proven vaccine alternatives?   Where exactly do they run their disclaimers? Is the "balance" much less so during the prime time hours with the largest viewership?

Fox could no doubt cobble together a case with a bevy of high-priced lawyers. OAN and Newsmax are pure propaganda machines, but they are big and willful enough to target. The question becomes whether people are responsible for the news sources they trust, and that's a good question indeed. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, commando said:

i guess that tucker isn't a sincere christian, or a free thinker, a man with high testosterone, and someone who loves joe biden since fox news also mandated the vaccine and he is still there.

Is he talking about the Covid vax or the ten billion other vax the military are required to get?  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, commando said:

i guess that tucker isn't a sincere christian, or a free thinker, a man with high testosterone, and someone who loves joe biden since fox news also mandated the vaccine and he is still there.

I’ve liked some things Tucker did in the past, but this Devil’s advocate vaccine crusade he is on is just weird and not helpful at all.  

• Plus1 4

UK government summary of vaccine effectiveness:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1017253/S1359_VEEP_Vaccine_Effectiveness_Table__1_.pdf

The table on the second page is a good overview.

Of note:

It was agreed that there is increasing evidence that effectiveness against mildly symptomatic disease is declining over time. There is some evidence of
waning immunity against hospitalisation in older cohorts against Delta but both vaccines still offer good protection, and the evidence of waning protection
against severe disease is less convincing.

So while vaccines appear to have waning effectiveness against catching covid, they are still quite effective in protection from severe disease.

Supposedly there are mask mandates in LA LA land, but entertainers are exempt. Of course the help was not exempt from having to wear masks.

Way to set a good example for following your COVID rules at the Emmy’s. The reality is the rules don’t apply to the celebs or the politicians who make them.

Check out the SanFan mayor’s excuse for breaking her own rules, and by the way masks are required indoors in SF regardless of vaccination status.  Don’t get me wrong. I could care less whether they wear masks or the mayor has fun,  as long hypocrites don’t mind when I do same.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsanfrancisco.cbslocal.com%2F2021%2F09%2F18%2Fsan-francisco-mayor-london-breed-defends-criticism-after-video-dancing-maskless-night-club%2F&psig=AOvVaw345JZUhekIf4bdvIFH2Yhr&ust=1632402925455000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCMDIt_fUkvMCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

image.jpeg.29b03c995b0897fad6392f97d592c9f1.jpeg

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Whatever you do don't look up the rhetoric of nearly the entire Republican party for the last 18 months. You might come to some painful conclusions. 

I guess I’m curious now.  How do I look up the rhetoric from almost the entire Republican Party for an 18 month timeframe and what will I find? 

• Plus1 2