The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, do it!

I have a friend and he teaches and his wife is a nurse.  I have told him that over the summer she should travel nurse for 2 months and just make bank.

But then he would be left home with his two kids and drink himself to death...so it is a catch 22

The best part is is they pay you housing too, so we could just buy an RV and both collect a housing stipend on top of an insane hourly rate. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Right, we're all being polite. I'm just trying to find out where people find sources they trust.  Thanks! 

I don't know man. just get as much data as you can. I honestly do try and read articles from multiple sources these days. I would typically trust the CDC and FDA, but they make mistakes. I am vaccinated and didn't have a problem with it, but I have to admit guidance is all over the map. I understood that when the pandemic began, but I was hoping it would settle in and be consistent. Now it is dependent on the color of your state, armchair QBs, and a bunch of leaders that do not follow their own mandates. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, nic said:

I don't know man. just get as much data as you can. I honestly do try and read articles from multiple sources these days. I would typically trust the CDC and FDA, but they make mistakes. I am vaccinated and didn't have a problem with it, but I have to admit guidance is all over the map. I understood that when the pandemic began, but I was hoping it would settle in and be consistent. Now it is dependent on the color of your state, armchair QBs, and a bunch of leaders that do not follow their own mandates. 

What conflicting guidance are you still seeing from the CDC and FDA? That's worrying! 

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's fine. I'm sure the government will relinquish their new powers once we're all safe from the dreaded Covid-19.;)

What new powers? They've had vaccine mandate powers for over 2 centuries (link):

KHALID: I gather there's two centuries of legal precedent on whether states are allowed to mandate vaccines. I used to actually live in Massachusetts, and I recall hearing quite a bit about this case from the early 1900s that went all the way up to the Supreme Court. Wasn't it about this very issue?

GOSTIN: It was. And, you know, the first vaccine mandate law was enacted in the United States in 1809 for smallpox. But the Supreme Court in 1905 in a very famous case called Jacobson v. Massachusetts upheld a Cambridge City law, which required smallpox vaccination. That was something where the Supreme Court said that we don't have a right to place other people at risk. And by 1922, in another case, Justice Brandeis, writing for unanimous court, upheld childhood school mandates, calling it settled law.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What new powers? They've had vaccine mandate powers for over 2 centuries (link):

Smallpox had a 30% mortality rate.... Covid currently has a 1.6% mortality rate, and it's actually much lower than that when you consider that there have been millions who haven't known they've had it, so weren't tested, and those that didn't get very sick, so weren't tested.... They are not the same illnesses.

I'm not anti-vaccine, not at all, but I don't like making businesses in the private sector turn away business because of a virus like COVID-19. This thing has been politicized from the beginning, by both sides, and it's just gross.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1