The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, nic said:

It's possible. We'll see how the inevitable lawsuits shake out.

OSHA has broad authority to require safety precautions on behalf of employees as long as they can prove there is serious harm that an employee could face at work. It's pretty obvious - and extraordinarily easy - for OSHA to prove that COVID poses risk to employees at work. 

However, the court system is dominated by Republicans, which might mean there is some momentum to get it overturned there. However, there is long standing precedent requiring vaccines for things like schooling, traveling abroad, etc. 

Long story short, get the vaccine. There is no legal reason to fight this and any Republican governor banning mandates should be laughed out of office by the voters. (Sadly we're living through a right wing race-to-the-bottom so I'm not holding my breath).

• Plus1 3

8 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It's possible. We'll see how the inevitable lawsuits shake out.

OSHA has broad authority to require safety precautions on behalf of employees as long as they can prove there is serious harm that an employee could face at work. It's pretty obvious - and extraordinarily easy - for OSHA to prove that COVID poses risk to employees at work. 

However, the court system is dominated by Republicans, which might mean there is some momentum to get it overturned there. However, there is long standing precedent requiring vaccines for things like schooling, traveling abroad, etc. 

Long story short, get the vaccine. There is no legal reason to fight this and any Republican governor banning mandates should be laughed out of office by the voters. (Sadly we're living through a right wing race-to-the-bottom so I'm not holding my breath).

I am actually surprised the lawsuits have not started. Lots of people quitting jobs. Our new owner has vaccine mandates. I expect we lose 10 to 20% when they find new jobs. All the people that can move have another reason to move to places like Texas and Florida. 

Just now, nic said:

I am actually surprised the lawsuits have not started. Lots of people quitting jobs. Our new owner has vaccine mandates. I expect we lose 10 to 20% when they find new jobs. All the people that can move have another reason to move to places like Texas and Florida. 

What do you think these lawsuits would be about?

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What do you think these lawsuits would be about?

Lawsuits to stop the vaccine mandate. Not saying they would win, just surprised they haven’t started. Maybe they have and I haven’t noticed.

2 minutes ago, nic said:

Lawsuits to stop the vaccine mandate. Not saying they would win, just surprised they haven’t started. Maybe they have and I haven’t noticed.

Lawyers tend not to take on cases guaranteed to lose. These mandates are constitutional and legally enforceable. 

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, nic said:

I don't see why people aren't lining up to work in Nebraska if people are truly moving because of politics.

We are much more "right wing" than Texas or Florida (we just don't get the attention because our elected officials know they are safe and don't need to make outrageous statements to fire up the base) and our unemployment rate is pretty much the lowest in the nation.

We need bodies!

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't see why people aren't lining up to work in Nebraska if people are truly moving because of politics.

We are much more "right wing" than Texas or Florida (we just don't get the attention because our elected officials know they are safe and don't need to make outrageous statements to fire up the base) and our unemployment rate is pretty much the lowest in the nation.

We need bodies!

I bet as time moves on and tech gets better and better, people will find that the Midwest small to medium sized towns like Manhattan, Hays, Lincoln, Grand Island, etc..will be gaining population.  Never to be major areas obviously, but people will find those areas more desirable 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

We need bodies!

Can you think of industries in Florida and Texas that don't have a strong presence in Nebraska.  That would be your first clue.

11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I bet as time moves on and tech gets better and better, people will find that the Midwest small to medium sized towns like Manhattan, Hays, Lincoln, Grand Island, etc..will be gaining population.  Never to be major areas obviously, but people will find those areas more desirable 

Just curious what makes you say that small and medium sized towns would be desirable for people moving from large population areas.  I get the low cost of living and being around more people "like you", but other than that what makes those smaller towns more desirable?  I only ask this because I live in the Denver area, while I have in-laws in Hastings.  Visiting them in Hastings is nice for a couple days, but there is no way I could relocate to a city like that.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Can you think of industries in Florida and Texas that don't have a strong presence in Nebraska.  That would be your first clue.

I've always said Nebraska needs more deep-sea fishing tours. We are completely ignoring this money-making industry!

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just curious what makes you say that small and medium sized towns would be desirable for people moving from large population areas.  I get the low cost of living and being around more people "like you", but other than that what makes those smaller towns more desirable?  I only ask this because I live in the Denver area, while I have in-laws in Hastings.  Visiting them in Hastings is nice for a couple days, but there is no way I could relocate to a city like that.

1). COL like you suggested

2). Slower paced lifestyle for those that want it but had jobs in bigger cities. 
3) transportation makes the country and world a much smaller place.  Visit any big city easily for long weekends.  
4). Don’t know what mean by “people like me” other than assuming that means #1,#2, 

5) less crime

6) some people like more of a community feel and I believe you get that more in a smaller area.  

Just a few thoughts I guess since asked.  BTW…I’m not talking some mass migration to small town America.  

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Try Kearney next time...you might alter that opinion :thumbs

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

1). COL like you suggested

2). Slower paced lifestyle for those that want it but had jobs in bigger cities. 
3) transportation makes the country and world a much smaller place.  Visit any big city easily for long weekends.  
4). Don’t know what mean by “people like me” other than assuming that means #1,#2

5) less crime

6) some people like more of a community feel and I believe you get that more in a smaller area.  

Just a few thoughts I guess since asked.  BTW…I’m not talking some mass migration to small town America.  

A lot of people prefer to be surrounded by others of the same race and beliefs.  It goes both ways in terms of white/black/hispanic/etc and conservative/liberal/etc.  I know I would be hesitant to move to the South due to my perceptions around people there.  I could be totally wrong on those perceptions, but I have enjoyed to be around people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs.

• Plus1 1