The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I bet as time moves on and tech gets better and better, people will find that the Midwest small to medium sized towns like Manhattan, Hays, Lincoln, Grand Island, etc..will be gaining population.  Never to be major areas obviously, but people will find those areas more desirable 

I'm hopeful, but I think cities like Lincoln and Omaha will see modest growth. Smaller towns are all mostly dying.

Companies are mostly having an issue basing themselves in an area with tech-talent. UNL produces some, but there are other cities with more. So composites will move there first. Places like North Carolina, home to many big universities will continue to see explosive growth. Austin TX has been growing rapidly for the last decade. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm hopeful, but I think cities like Lincoln and Omaha will see modest growth. Smaller towns are all mostly dying.

Companies are mostly having an issue basing themselves in an area with tech-talent. UNL produces some, but there are other cities with more. So composites will move there first. Places like North Carolina, home to many big universities will continue to see explosive growth. Austin TX has been growing rapidly for the last decade. 

Lincoln has been growing pretty rapidly the last couple of decades. A buddy who works in urban planning predicts Lincoln could eclipse Omaha as the largest city in Nebraska in the next 75-100 years.

Now if Lincoln's airport could just get better flights and rates, we'd be set. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Lincoln has been growing pretty rapidly the last couple of decades. A buddy who works in urban planning predicts Lincoln could eclipse Omaha as the largest city in Nebraska in the next 75-100 years.

Now if Lincoln's airport could just get better flights and rates, we'd be set. 

I think that would be quite surprising, but I did see Lincoln's mayor give an interview to the NYTimes, who identified Lincoln NE as a city poised to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the infrastructure packages in Congress.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/05/05/upshot/biden-agenda-middle-america.amp.html

"

That could be a boon to places like Lincoln, Neb.

Its population has grown slowly but steadily in recent years; investments in things like high-speed internet have helped it avoid the cycle of decline affecting many other smaller cities in the Midwest. It is home to the University of Nebraska, which has strong programs in computer science and engineering, and it has a vibrant agribusiness sector."

21 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think that would be quite surprising, but I did see Lincoln's mayor give an interview to the NYTimes, who identified Lincoln NE as a city poised to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the infrastructure packages in Congress.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/05/05/upshot/biden-agenda-middle-america.amp.html

"

That could be a boon to places like Lincoln, Neb.

Its population has grown slowly but steadily in recent years; investments in things like high-speed internet have helped it avoid the cycle of decline affecting many other smaller cities in the Midwest. It is home to the University of Nebraska, which has strong programs in computer science and engineering, and it has a vibrant agribusiness sector."

Omaha has a huge head start, but according to my guy, it's constrained by municipalities to the south, the river to the east and ??? something to the west. The lack of such constraints is better for Lincoln. He had some other reasons, but this was a conversation years ago & I'm not remembering all of it. 

5 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I'll bet you a 10 bucks that doesn't happen.  

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Make it $1,000 and you're on.

I volunteer to hold the money as a disinterested third party. I promise to pay the winner in exactly 100 years. PM me for the address to send your wagers to.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

You should be good tonight over here in the wild west err Weld county. Hope you’re vaxxed :lol:

I was going to see if I needed my vax card tonight but then I remembered where we were going :D 

Went to the Mission Ballroom in Denver on Wednesday. They required proof of vax but all you needed a pic on your phone of your card. Pretty sure that would be easy to fake.