The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

On 10/15/2021 at 8:00 AM, knapplc said:

Lawyers tend not to take on cases guaranteed to lose. These mandates are constitutional and legally enforceable. 

lawsuit threats have started....I figured they would. Has the federal mandate started?

The companies doing federal work are stepping in line. Lots of companies released statements last week to get vaccinated or be let go. Northrop, IBM for sure. Lockheed, GD, Raytheon...the usual suspects. 

“Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday threatened to sue the Biden administration over an anticipated coronavirus vaccine mandate.

The governor's comments came during a press conference in Fort Myers on monoclonal antibody treatments, which the governor has worked to make more accessible in the state to prevent severe COVID-19 infections.

"I think that the mandate is going to lose in court," DeSantis said during the press conference regarding the federal mandate.

He added that Florida would contest any such mandate from the Biden administration "immediately," and that any lawsuits from the state would be filed in the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.”

Assuming this video is real (have seen it a few places) , if not I apologize in advance and will delete if found to be made up.

If real, either the mask mandates are political theater at this point, or they work but the Leader of the free world just doesn’t care to follow them.  Either way it’s not a good look, and this continues a trend set by Democrat political leaders on masks. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Assuming this video is real (have seen it a few places) , if not I apologize in advance and will delete if found to be made up.

If real, either the mask mandates are political theater at this point, or they work but the Leader of the free world just doesn’t care to follow them.  Either way it’s not a good look, and this continues a trend set by Democrat political leaders on masks. 

I mean, I agree that a lot of leaders haven't abided by their own rules. But getting up from their table holding their masks in a 5 second video isn't that damning. 

But perhaps you're more into your President's attacking democracy and spreading unfounded lies about voting? 

• Plus1 3

10 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

thats a bad look 

and this doesn't bother you

th?id=OIF.Avcq0Tl2DdGlig874wngLQ&pid=Api

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

@Lorewarn is this where I get in trouble from you for saying “I never said that”  or is this where you finally call out irrelevant posts and people putting words in my mouth?  

The way I see it you've got a few choices when something like this happens. It seems your favorite is to be obstinate and/or pedantic. There's a lot of other options, here's just a few:

• You could internally reflect on why people so often seem to mischaracterize you, and if any part of that reason is based on your posting.

• You could still rightfully point out that someone is mischaracterizing you, but in a lot of different ways that foster open dialogue rather than being the catalyst for back and forth strawmanning for the next 5 pages.

• You could easily just keep on scrolling and wait for the substantive response to come later if it does.

• You could be a little more consistent in your active decisions on what to highlight (ie, you care enough to shine light on the Pres/First Lady not wearing masks for 5 seconds and spend no energy pointing out how the "political theater" of vaccinated Fox News hosts stoking anti-vaccine sentiment is "not a good look")

• This is more of a general point than one specific to commando's post, but you could also realize that you're equally as partisan and biased as the people you argue with all day, and 90% of your interactions in here reflect this:

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

As far as @commando's post, it's a very lazy effort and some degree of "whataboutism" but easy to understand why it makes sense to him and others.

As far as the President goes, the odds and some deductive reasoning would presume the most likely scenario was thoughtlessness quickly after getting up from the table after a meal. Lord knows we've all forgotten to put a mask on at least once. But, when you're under a "leader of the free world" level of microscope, gotta do better. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

The way I see it you've got a few choices when something like this happens. It seems your favorite is to be obstinate and/or pedantic. There's a lot of other options, here's just a few:

• You could internally reflect on why people so often seem to mischaracterize you, and if any part of that reason is based on your posting.

• You could still rightfully point out that someone is mischaracterizing you, but in a lot of different ways that foster open dialogue rather than being the catalyst for back and forth strawmanning for the next 5 pages.

• You could easily just keep on scrolling and wait for the substantive response to come later if it does.

• This is more of a general point than one specific to commando's post, but you could also realize that you're equally as partisan and biased as the people you argue with all day, and 90% of your interactions in here reflect this:

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

As far as @commando's post, it's a very lazy effort and some degree of "whataboutism" but easy to understand why it makes sense to him and others.

As far as the President goes, the odds and some deductive reasoning would presume the most likely scenario was thoughtlessness quickly after getting up from the table after a meal. Lord knows we've all forgotten to put a mask on at least once. But, when you're under a "leader of the free world" level of microscope, gotta do better. 

Ahhh, so it still comes back at me.   Good to know.  

“You could be a little more consistent in your active decisions on what to highlight (ie, you care enough to shine light on the Pres/First Lady not wearing masks for 5 seconds and spend no energy pointing out how the "political theater" of vaccinated Fox News hosts stoking anti-vaccine sentiment is "not a good look")”

—I have pointed out a few times that I don’t understand why Tucker is on his vaccination crusade and that it doesn’t help the matter.  Maybe you could be a little more consistent on what you actually know and accuse people of.  

• Plus1 1
On 10/15/2021 at 9:38 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

Just curious what makes you say that small and medium sized towns would be desirable for people moving from large population areas.  I get the low cost of living and being around more people "like you", but other than that what makes those smaller towns more desirable?  I only ask this because I live in the Denver area, while I have in-laws in Hastings.  Visiting them in Hastings is nice for a couple days, but there is no way I could relocate to a city like that.

Let me ask this.  What do you regularly do in Denver that makes your life enjoyable that you don’t think you can do in Kearney or Grand Island?

58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me ask this.  What do you regularly do in Denver that makes your life enjoyable that you don’t think you can do in Kearney or Grand Island?

Not to be snarky, but make 100k a year? Hike a mountain? See a play, musical, visit an art exhibit, try a brand new restaurant, go to a professional sporting event, ski or snowboard in the winter, etc.

I used to live in Hastings, and even compared to Lincoln it's somewhat boring. That's at least my opinion.

However, the reason small towns are dying and larger cities are thriving is based around economics. Cities offer a pool of talented employees for firms to hire. The tri-city area, for example, will never lure a major technology company because there simply isn't enough talented employees to hire.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Not to be snarky, but make 100k a year? Hike a mountain? See a play, musical, visit an art exhibit, try a brand new restaurant, go to a professional sporting event, ski or snowboard in the winter, etc.

I'd be interested in knowing how often people in Denver go skiing, see a professional sporting event...etc.  I go skiing every once in a while.  I go to major sporting events.  We have had three new restaurants open in our little small town in just the last year.  We went with friends to a great new restaurant in North Platte just a couple weeks ago.  That's just a 45 minute drive.  I've been in Denver before going to a restaurant and stuck in traffic for about that long getting there.  Live in a little bigger town than me like Kearney or GI and there are new restaurants every once in a while.  

I asked this because we used to live in Des Moines, which we really enjoyed.  When we told our friends we were moving to a small town in Nebraska, their reaction was, "What in the world are you going to do in a small town"?  I'll tell you, I'm busier here than I ever was in Des Moines.  I asked them, what do you normally do.  They said, "hang out with friends, chase kids to kids activities...etc."  Well, I do that here.  Plus, I'm much more involved in the community.

I get it, small town life isn't for everyone.  But, I actually told my wife the other day that I would love a weekend where I'm actually bored.

I have a cousin that just moved from here to Lincoln and she mentioned that she likes living in Lincoln so much better.  However, she was never one who was involved in anything here.  I would never see her at area events, restaurants...etc.

I get the 100k salary.  But, those jobs are in central Nebraska.  There would depend on what you do for a living though.  I just hired a guy that grew up here and wanted to move back. He's not making much less than that and he's only out of college about 5 years.

• Thanks 1