The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

When you say "we", who are you talking about?

Society, employers, etc. In my ideal future on site childcare care is a common workplace benefit like 401k matching. It should be an expectation where feasible. 

As for my booster, my reactions were fortunately mild. A mild headache for 24 hours in addition to the sore arm. 

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

I hate it when politicians say things like "real Americans".  But that aside, he isn't wrong.

I've been vaccinated.  My wife and kids are all vaccinated.  My parents are vaccinated.  This virus isn't going to ever fully disappear. 

I'm done worrying about it.

Amen...I totally agree and I am sort of at the point where I know think Covid-Freaks are being a bit theatrical about it.

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Society, employers, etc. In my ideal future on site childcare care is a common workplace benefit like 401k matching. It should be an expectation where feasible. 

As for my booster, my reactions were fortunately mild. A mild headache for 24 hours in addition to the sore arm. 

So, like AM watching the previous game film.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2021 at 2:57 PM, knapplc said:

Got my booster Monday. Just absolutely kicked my a$$ Tuesday, but by yesterday I was good and today back to normal.

I guess if I have to go through this every year to not get bad Covid symptoms again, I'm all for it.

My sense of smell JUST came back last month, 10 months after having Covid. But it's wonky - if I'm not smelling something I recognize, it smells like chemicals. Hopefully that goes away soon.

Wow. I did not realize you've been going through that. Sorry to hear and hope the recovery is complete and soon. 

Loosing smell -- and I'm presuming taste -- is no small thing. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Do you, or either of the folks agreeing with you, care to explain specifically what this guy is talking about and why this graph makes a ‘prohibitively strong’ argument?

I don’t know yet that I agree with what he is saying yet but once premise he believes is that Covid-19 has been around since 2016 in the Far East/Middle East in a more moderate form that gave many of those countries prior immunity and it’s why outbreaks haven’t been as bad with deaths there.  

I believe He is also trying to say that Omicron predates Alpha I believe because it’s modifications didn’t come from Alpha???  I’m passing along because he has been correct about some thing a with Covid in the past and I hadn’t seen this talked about much and wondered if others had thoughts on it.  

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wow. I did not realize you've been going through that. Sorry to hear and hope the recovery is complete and soon. 

Loosing smell -- and I'm presuming taste -- is no small thing. 

It seems to have mostly cleared up. But for ten months I really couldn't smell anything.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t know yet that I agree with what he is saying yet but once premise he believes is that Covid-19 has been around since 2016 in the Far East/Middle East in a more moderate form that gave many of those countries prior immunity and it’s why outbreaks haven’t been as bad with deaths there.  

I believe He is also trying to say that Omicron predates Alpha I believe because it’s modifications didn’t come from Alpha???  I’m passing along because he has been correct about some thing a with Covid in the past and I hadn’t seen this talked about much and wondered if others had thoughts on it.  

I understand that you follow him because you say he has been right about something.  But even if that’s true, the blind squirrel metaphor comes to mind. 

I am not a geneticist or an expert in infectious disease, and I would bet most of his followers are not either. Given that, I would expect some kind of logical progression starting from a well understood jumping off point whereby he walks us through each step carefully and eventually arrives at a conclusion. Anyone that has ever had to present something technical to a wide audience knows this, which is why it is done with a lot of care. 

This guy makes no attempt to do that. Why?  Because there isn’t a logical progression. He has a conclusion in mind (and so do his followers). His tweets are mostly data-mined graphics followed by some combination of smugness and complete monkey jargon.  He is obfuscating, which is a dead giveaway that he either has no idea what he is talking about, or deliberately trying to misguide others. 

This particular graph I found in the Twitter feed of an actual expert on infectious disease, Dr. Trevor Bedford…and incidentally he does not draw the same conclusion.  

It’s also telling in reading Dr. Bedford’s tweets that there seems to be an actual effort in explaining what these graphs mean and what they can tell us, even though his audience appears to be other experts in this field of study, rather than the public at large. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I understand that you follow him because you say he has been right about something.  But even if that’s true, the blind squirrel metaphor comes to mind. 

I am not a geneticist or an expert in infectious disease, and I would bet most of his followers are not either. Given that, I would expect some kind of logical progression starting from a well understood jumping off point whereby he walks us through each step carefully and eventually arrives at a conclusion. Anyone that has ever had to present something technical to a wide audience knows this, which is why it is done with a lot of care. 

This guy makes no attempt to do that. Why?  Because there isn’t a logical progression. He has a conclusion in mind (and so do his followers). His tweets are mostly data-mined graphics followed by some combination of smugness and complete monkey jargon.  He is obfuscating, which is a dead giveaway that he either has no idea what he is talking about, or deliberately trying to misguide others. 

This particular graph I found in the Twitter feed of an actual expert on infectious disease, Dr. Trevor Bedford…and incidentally he does not draw the same conclusion.  

It’s also telling in reading Dr. Bedford’s tweets that there seems to be an actual effort in explaining what these graphs mean and what they can tell us, even though his audience appears to be other experts in this field of study, rather than the public at large. 

Ok.  I’ve found his stuff interesting going back to mid 2020.  Some of which was brought up before the actual “infectious disease experts” caught up to what was going on.  If he isn’t your cup of tea I understand.  

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Do you, or either of the folks agreeing with you, care to explain specifically what this guy is talking about and why this graph makes a ‘prohibitively strong’ argument?

Basically this is what he is getting at based on modeling mutations and the genetic code. Whether it’s believable or not, that answers your question 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

“Given that, I would expect some kind of logical progression starting from a well understood jumping off point whereby he walks us through each step carefully and eventually arrives at aconclusion. Anyone that has ever had to present something technical to a wide audience knows this, which is why it is done with a lot of care. 

This guy makes no attempt to do that. Why?  

Maybe you missed this or maybe you saw and didn’t read.  Either way it seems to be what you were complaining and degrading him about for not having.   It may be complete B.S.  It may be spot on or somewhere in between.  I do believe we sure ain’t getting the true story from the experts currently about COVID’s origin, and I wonder how much those experts actually want to find out the true origin story of Covid-19.   

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Basically this is what he is getting at based on modeling mutations and the genetic code. Whether it’s believable or not, that answers your question 

It’s already known that omicron did not diverge from alpha, beta or delta. This isn’t new. Once again, he’s just data mining unrelated information to restate his unproven allegation. Basically using Omicron to plug his previously stated BS. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1