The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Yup, the GOP certainly isn't responsible for an untold number of deaths and devastation in this country. No sir, not at all. The real evil in this country is CRT and School Boards.

FFS. I swear the vaccines could be 99.999999999% safe and if one person out of 1 billion people got covid after being vaccinated, dip$%^&s like this tool would throw up their arms and say what's the point. 

• Plus1 5

31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's inevitable. They're human. It is beyond frustrating to be essentially on overtime for two years, one of which you're doing basically because a series of asshats won't get vaccinated. 

Yep. As distasteful as vaccine mandates may be, this is maybe the best argument in support of them. A large minority are effing up healthcare for everyone. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep. As distasteful as vaccine mandates may be, this is maybe the best argument in support of them. A large minority are effing up healthcare for everyone. 

And we wouldn't even need a mandate if people weren't playing politics with the shot. Everyone lined up in droves for the Polio vaccine. They weren't living in a polarized 24-hour news cycle, though. They just wanted to be safe. 

• Plus1 1

There are also healthcare workers quitting because of the mandate.  We have not used Human Psychology when rolling out the vaccine.  I am a HS administrator.  When dealing with teenagers, "because I told you to, that is why!" doesn't work.  The American public is not much different than pestilent teenagers.

@KnappIc  You are right, the politics is the problem, I am around people of both parties that are refusing to get vaccinated.  Remember, minorities and nervous about vaccines.

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

There are also healthcare workers quitting because of the mandate.  We have not used Human Psychology when rolling out the vaccine.  I am a HS administrator.  When dealing with teenagers, "because I told you to, that is why!" doesn't work.  The American public is not much different than pestilent teenagers.

@KnappIc  You are right, the politics is the problem, I am around people of both parties that are refusing to get vaccinated.  Remember, minorities and nervous about vaccines.

"Because I told you to" is not, and never has been, a proffered reason for the vaccine. It's simple common sense, like the polio vaccine, or rubella, or any other vaccine everyone has gotten.

The difference here is politics. 

The minority thing is vastly overblown. The biggest divide is on party lines. 

ft4WMf8.png

Republicans make up an increasingly disproportionate share of those who remain unvaccinated and political partisanship is a stronger predictor of whether someone is vaccinated than demographic factors such as age, race, level of education, or insurance status. 

Source

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"Because I told you to" is not, and never has been, a proffered reason for the vaccine. It's simple common sense, like the polio vaccine, or rubella, or any other vaccine everyone has gotten.

The difference here is politics. 

The minority thing is vastly overblown. The biggest divide is on party lines. 

ft4WMf8.png

Source

Understand that the "I told you so" is how it was taken, not necessarily how it was given.  BUT, that is because politics.  

In our school, our racial makeup of kids is about 50/50.  I hear way more from our kids of color about not getting it, because there parents wouldn't let them.  Our staff is about 85% vaccinated.  That number would be closer to your graph.  Again, Trump is vaccinated and boosted.  Not sure why his followers are so crazy against it.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Understand that the "I told you so" is how it was taken, not necessarily how it was given.  BUT, that is because politics.  

In our school, our racial makeup of kids is about 50/50.  I hear way more from our kids of color about not getting it, because there parents wouldn't let them.  Our staff is about 85% vaccinated.  That number would be closer to your graph.  Again, Trump is vaccinated and boosted.  Not sure why his followers are so crazy against it.

Yep.  I hear all the time...."I'm not going to be told I have to get it".

• Thanks 1

"We have a massive nursing shortage,"  Eric Smith, the statewide field director for the New York State Nurses Association, told the New York Daily News last month. "We have a vacuum in the double and triple digits all across the New York area."

This is going to get even uglier if Omicron forces hospitalizations.... And we are massively short of tests for some reason.

Honestly, when it came to the government handing out stimulus checks,  I wish it would have been possible to see how people would have responded to getting vaccinated if that was the requirement for getting your check. Granted vaccine wasnt available yet and Trump was in charge at the time, but it would be interesting to see the response.

• Plus1 1

Covid exposed and sped up an issue that was here before covid. Hospitals have always been short staffed. We survived, but at my Hospital triage was the name of the game every flu season because we didn't have the staff to adequately care for everyone. Snowball effect took place when you have even more people being hospitalized, higher acuity,  means more burnout, means more quitting, means more short staffed and on we go. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NebraskaHarry said:

That excuse is being made by those who wouldn't get the vaccine anyway. This might sound surprising but if no one was telling them to get the shot, they still wouldn't get the shot.

i think the numbers who refuse to get vaxxed is increased due to the far right calls to not get the vax.   if their political leaders were asking them to get vaxxed i believe many more would have got the shot.   

• Plus1 2