The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

There are also healthcare workers quitting because of the mandate.  We have not used Human Psychology when rolling out the vaccine.  I am a HS administrator.  When dealing with teenagers, "because I told you to, that is why!" doesn't work.  The American public is not much different than pestilent teenagers.

@KnappIc  You are right, the politics is the problem, I am around people of both parties that are refusing to get vaccinated.  Remember, minorities and nervous about vaccines.

Hospitals are giving anyone and everyone exemption waivers, at least in The Omaha area.  My wife’s unit is about 60% vaccinated.

More people are leaving her unit because of that fact.

23 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Hospitals are giving anyone and everyone exemption waivers, at least in The Omaha area.  My wife’s unit is about 60% vaccinated.

More people are leaving her unit because of that fact.

Some hospitals will fire non-vaxxed workers BUT only when they can fire them, like, if there is a ready replacement.  I forget what they called it but my friend's wife is on the "fire" list.

16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Some hospitals will fire non-vaxxed workers BUT only when they can fire them, like, if there is a ready replacement.  I forget what they called it but my friend's wife is on the "fire" list.

That’s CHI’s current policy.  My MIL works at St Elizabeth in Lincoln.

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The official name of that list is the dumbf#&%s list. 

What is most annoying about it is that the vaccine is extremely safe. I could see some hesitancy if like a half percent or a quarter of a percent of the people were having bad side effects or it was causing worse problems than Covid, but that isn’t the case. I mean ignore for a minute if it actually works or not. My common sense tells me, eff it, it isn’t going to hurt me so I may as well see if it helps. It’s free and safe and readily available. The degree to which it works (well documented that it is very effective at preventing hospitalization and death) is really a secondary concern. But here we are, a bunch of morons use breakthrough infections etc. as an excuse to not get it. It is 99.9% political, which I find bizarre. Fine, be an extreme left wing or right wing nut but to not do what’s in the best interest of your own health due to political BS….it’s almost unprecedented.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The official name of that list is the dumbf#&%s list. 

What is most annoying about it is that the vaccine is extremely safe. I could see some hesitancy if like a half percent or a quarter of a percent of the people were having bad side effects or it was causing worse problems than Covid, but that isn’t the case. I mean ignore for a minute if it actually works or not. My common sense tells me, eff it, it isn’t going to hurt me so I may as well see if it helps. It’s free and safe and readily available. The degree to which it works (well documented that it is very effective at preventing hospitalization and death) is really a secondary concern. But here we are, a bunch of morons use breakthrough infections etc. as an excuse to not get it. It is 99.9% political, which I find bizarre. Fine, be an extreme left wing or right wing nut but to not do what’s in the best interest of your own health due to political BS….it’s almost unprecedented.

Not really unprecedented. People have been acting against their own self interests due to politics for a long while. "What's the matter with Kansas?" comes to mind.

Interestingly it seems to be the same group of people repeatedly doing so...

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find this graph fascinating as to where Nebraska is. 

We are about middle of the road on vaccinations. But only one state has a lower death rate. 

I have my suspicions as to why.  

That isn't valid for states like NE who are not reporting all the data.  Ricketts has withheld data on deaths, infections and hospitalizations, so you're not looking at apples to apples here.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm….I’m pretty sure he still has to report all that to the cdc.  

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/investigations/dhhs-working-with-feds-to-restore-nebraska-data-on-cdc-website

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/06/1034556227/many-states-are-not-reporting-the-latest-covid-19-numbers

I believe he agreed to publish info again depending on percentage of beds available or something, but admittedly don't know where that stands today.  

This is a graph since vaccines became available in April 2020 - not sure between lack of reporting and deaths pre vaccine vs. vaccine  but I'm pretty confident that the death rate being second lowest is a data flaw.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Well, I finally got the covid. On day 3 with a pretty rough fever, although so far today it seems to be much better than the last two. 

I was a few weeks away from recommended time to get the booster and got caught in a bad timing bad luck window over the holidays. 

Ugh - I hope you feel better soon.  Its funny how quickly we forget how s#!tty having a fever feels.

10 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Ugh - I hope you feel better soon.  Its funny how quickly we forget how s#!tty having a fever feels.

Last two nights have been some of the worst fevers I can remember. First night was freezing, tossing and turning and trying to stay warm. Last night was the opposite where no matter what I did I kept sweating and burning up - had to replace my bedding three times in the middle of the night because it was soaked in sweat yuck

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Well, I finally got the covid. On day 3 with a pretty rough fever, although so far today it seems to be much better than the last two. 

I was a few weeks away from recommended time to get the booster and got caught in a bad timing bad luck window over the holidays. 

Sorry you have to go through this. It is a b*tch! I hope you feel better.

My entire family got it at the beginning of December. Nobody officially cracked a fever, but both my wife and I had headaches, sinus infection like pain in our nose/forehead, and congestion/chest pressure. We both lost our taste and I still haven't got mine back. Taking care of kids while we had it and they were sick, as well, was the worst part. I still have heart issues now (elevated rate while infected) and I am in the young and this won't effect you crowd.

Good luck feeling better. Covid sucks and I wouldn't recommend it.