The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

10 hours ago, mrandyk said:

I also am just now finally seeing my close circle run rampant with covid, after someone brought covid to our family Christmas gathering on the 1st. I hadn't had anyone really close to me test positive yet, and now absolutely everyone has it.

I tested positive. I feel absolutely fine though and would be at work if I didn't know any better. I had my booster shot about 3 weeks ago so that's probably why I don't feel anything, minus a very minor headache that lasted about a day and a half. So I've been at home doing a lot of odd jobs that I had been putting off.

My pregnant wife sounds like hell. About 4 straight days now of her coughing frequently through the entire day. She didn't have her booster and it has been 7 months since her second shot. Wish I could trade spots with her. 

4 of my 5 siblings tested positive, as well as the two spouses from that group. My 5th sibling did not get tested and is in Mexico right now because she had a vacation scheduled. Don't worry, during our family gathering she shared with us that she is wise and procured some home test kits for when she returns. Can't trust the Mexicans with this covid business...

My parents refuse to get tested. So they are both running around, presumptively spreading the virus. My mother says she just has a cough and feels fine. She makes her living working with the general public. 

No amount of shame from the bulk of their family will get through to them. It's like some kind of point of pride to be stronger than the virus and not be sick. Living in ignorance and spreading the disease. Next time I hear them complain about covid I'll be sure to remind them that they are part of the problem.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Glad to hear you're ok and will send good thoughts for your wife.

With regard to your family, real sorry about that.  I have some of them too and that's been just heartbreaking. The only good thing is they live overseas, and because of the more stringent policies there they are unable to go or do anything, including fly to come see (and infect) family members in the US.  This whole pandemic is heartbreaking but for me the worst is finding out how your supposedly smart, rational, educated family members that you used to like and admire are not any of those things.

• Plus1 2

53 minutes ago, commando said:

they need it for the covid.    ;)

I want to explain this a little bit - as there is SOME science/data on it.  The ED drugs help with vascular dialation - not just you know where, but all over the body, its' why the side effects of the med include issues with eyesight.  There are diseases of very sick, chronically ill people who take low doses daily to try and keep the vessels in their heart and lungs more open for gas exchange.  Usually they'd be taking it in addition to other meds that work similarly, and their disease is terminal.  

So it may work a bit, HOWEVER - it wouldn't prevent covid, or lessen it's impact or long term effect.  An IV formulation would have been potentially tried in a hospital as an emergency treatment when lungs were failing and a person is in a coma - but i'd expect if that person survived they'd probably be on the lung transplant list.

Perfect example of Fox taking a fact/circumstance and blowing it way out of proportion and misinforming folks.  It might be tried in a last ditch effort to save a life, but at that point the person's lungs would be mush.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

No, I actually bought Biontech pre-vaccine though.  BTW…if you have a 401k or any mutual funds, I could almost guarantee that you own Pfizer.  Maybe your a MAGA??

Yeah, I inherited a mutual fund and paid it little attention until I got the year end report and discovered which stocks I actually owned.

Glad I'm not running for office. 

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, NM11046 said:

A pretty good explainer of the graphs @nic brought up and had some questions about the other day.

Covid vs incident covid.  (or with/for)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2022/01/07/hospitalization-covid-statistics-incidental/

Thanks. Good article. I didn't think about patients catching COVID while in the hospital. Yet another category. Incidental cases sound like they have risen to near 50% versus 10 to 15% from prior variants.

• Plus1 1