The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Are you trying to tell me that Bill Maher said something controversial on his controversy-driven television show that is famous for confusing people who think he's on their side? 

Meh. It's a pretty big stand, on a controversial subject. I don't remember him siding with Trump, or even Bush, for the sake of controversy.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Archy1221 said:

Probably lots of drinking and calling in sick.   Don’t feel bad one bit!!!

I live in Chiefs country, which ironically wasn't near as populated before Mahomes, so I was pulling for them.

Just now, Archy1221 said:

The Bill Maher haters come out of the woodwork now 

Oh, yeah. A quick search in Maher's Twitter mentions will give you a good laugh.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Absolutely. If anyone let them down, it was the defense, specifically Leslie Frazier on that last drive. As a Minnesota fan, that hit close to home with Frazier.:lol:

I've got some veteran Minnesota fans in my world, and I can't believe how much pleasure they take in Green Bay losing. 

Hate to quibble with you on this, but don't you think SPECIAL TEAMS! might take a bigger burden for letting them down? 

Had some Nebraska flashbacks on that game. 

Except I'm a Niners fan. 

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've got some veteran Minnesota fans in my world, and I can't believe how much pleasure they take in Green Bay losing. 

Hate to quibble with you on this, but don't you think SPECIAL TEAMS! might take a bigger burden for letting them down? 

Had some Nebraska flashbacks on that game. 

Except I'm a Niners fan. 

You could argue that, I suppose. I'm probably subconsciously wanting to blame Frazier.

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Meh. It's a pretty big stand, on a controversial subject. I don't remember him siding with Trump, or even Bush, for the sake of controversy.

I think Maher believes what he says, and genuinely enjoys targeting all sides when he thinks they deserve it. As you may recall, he got tons of heat after 9/11 for suggesting the terrorists who were willing to die weren't "cowards" but maybe the country punching buttons and launching drone strikes from the safety of home, were. I think Maher was pulled off the air for that one. 

As far as big stands go, Maher is probably best known for being a crusading atheist. 

Privately, he's known for being an a$$h@!e. Aren't we all. 

Again, we tend to look at the pandemic response as some kind of agenda-driven American invention, when there are 200 other countries facing the exact same conundrum of protecting the public health and maintaining the economy. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think Maher believes what he says, and genuinely enjoys targeting all sides when he thinks they deserve it. As you may recall, he got tons of heat after 9/11 for suggesting the terrorists who were willing to die weren't "cowards" but maybe the country punching buttons and launching drone strikes from the safety of home, were. I think Maher was pulled off the air for that one. 

As far as big stands go, Maher is probably best known for being a crusading atheist. 

Privately, he's known for being an a$$h@!e. Aren't we all. 

Again, we tend to look at the pandemic response as some kind of agenda-driven American invention, when there are 200 other countries facing the exact same conundrum of protecting the public health and maintaining the economy. 

This is what I find interesting.  Other democratic nations are going to a lot more extremes than we are in the U.S., but somehow people think we are living in a Nazi state just because we are asked (that's all the mandates are at his point) to wear a mask at the grocery store.  At least here in Nebraska.

It's funny how many Nebraskans brag about how tough they are but whine about wearing a mask or getting a shot.  Bunch of pansies! 

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is what I find interesting.  Other democratic nations are going to a lot more extremes than we are in the U.S., but somehow people think we are living in a Nazi state just because we are asked (that's all the mandates are at his point) to wear a mask at the grocery store.  At least here in Nebraska.

It's funny how many Nebraskans brag about how tough they are but whine about wearing a mask or getting a shot.  Bunch of pansies! 

I think people complaining about masks impinging their freedoms are on the fringe.  Granted the fringe is maybe larger than it has ever been before.  But most people I think just want to be done with the theater of it all.  If we're masking to slow the spread, why do we wait to 'mandate' masks until the virus has completely taken hold of the local community?  As has been pointed out, how good can it possibly be when you have to wear it < 1 minute over the course of being at a restaurant/bar for perhaps hours?  Or, if you've noticed, if you really don't want to, you don't have to wear a mask...anywhere.  

My theory about this is not this is an agenda or government overreach or anything else.  It's no different than having a lazy manager at work.  They do a lot of nothing, until they're pressured to do something...then they do whatever bare minimum they have to so they can say they did SOMETHING.  We have leaders at every level of government that have behaved this way for 2 years.  There seem to be some exceptions to this in some localities, but not many.

Say what you want to about China or New Zealand.  They picked their path and stuck to it.  New Zealand's population overall trusts their gov't.  China?  Well it doesn't really matter if they trust their gov't or not.  

I'm not saying a zero COVID strategy would've worked here, but the more infectious each wave became...the more we needed to evolve our thinking to either a) be more aggressive with 'slow the spread' measures, or b) accept that it was becoming impossible and focus entirely on supporting the medical infrastructure with everything we had.  Instead, we got what we got, which is a piecemeal, inconsistent response over and over where less and less of the population felt compelled to comply.

• Plus1 4
35 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I am sooooo over the KN95 mask that we have to wear at school.  That thing SUCKS and it is a pain to get air and it totally muffles my amazing voice.

The cloth one I don't really mind.

• Oh Yeah! 1