The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

^ that headline should make every American angry.   Something totally within our control and too many were too stupid and too selfish to do their part.  We as a country are in trouble.

It's ridiculous. And now we have allegedly sensible people like Maher whining about a booster after already being vaxxed. Duh.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

^ that headline should make every American angry.   Something totally within our control and too many were too stupid and too selfish to do their part.  We as a country are in trouble.

I know there's political propaganda in other countries.  But, Americans have been fed so much BS about the vaccination and they are so conditioned to listen to their media that says what they want to hear that it's becoming almost impossible to actually educate the public with facts.  The experts can come out with facts and immediately, it's spun politically and get everyone all worked up about it.

• Plus1 4

34 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Because of bizarro American exceptionalism. We suck because we’re us. 

It is sort of true.  Americans love to b!^@h about America.  We also love to look at other countries and pretend like they are super amazing.

We do this with the sports teams we all love.  We b!^@h about our team/players no matter how good they are and compare them to some crap team (like Iowa)

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm having a hard time understanding this person's conclusions. This is all their opinion, right?

Short answer…yes, this is an editorial.  She does provide references as background, but the conclusion is the authors.  

It seems grounded in reality. This statement is at the crux of it, and I find it fairly indisputable:

Most children are neither in grave danger nor do they pose a grave danger to others—especially now that vaccines are widely, freely available—but we routinely treat them as if they were.’

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Short answer…yes, this is an editorial.  She does provide references as background, but the conclusion is the authors.  

It seems grounded in reality. This statement is at the crux of it, and I find it fairly indisputable:

Most children are neither in grave danger nor do they pose a grave danger to others—especially now that vaccines are widely, freely available—but we routinely treat them as if they were.’

Sure, children seem less affected by Covid, but they're not immune, and children have died from it. Plus they can spread it. 

This person's opinion is that we're damaging children, and she presents it as fact, but the reality is she is putting a lot of weight on conjecture. Even the article she links doesn't come to any conclusions about harm to children.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Sure, children seem less affected by Covid, but they're not immune, and children have died from it. Plus they can spread it. 

This person's opinion is that we're damaging children, and she presents it as fact, but the reality is she is putting a lot of weight on conjecture. Even the article she links doesn't come to any conclusions about harm to children.

She does not present it as fact. Her point is that risk mitigation is an everyday job of parents. Yes, kids have died of Covid. I’d ask that you look up just how many children (11 and under) have died of the disease since it arrived, and measure that against other risks. Yes, kids can spread it, but if you’re a vaccinated adult..so can you, and you should be protected from serious illness…yet even when municipalities have periodically lifted indoor mask mandates, they have remained in schools. Why is that?

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

As far as the harm it has caused to children…how can that be measured truly at this point?  I, like others here, have shared anecdotes about our experiences with our kids during remote learning. I can’t quantify the damage done, but it was more than zero. Her point with the headline is that every time we ask whether we should continue to impose these measures on kids…the answer is often ‘well, kids are resilient’ or ‘kids aren’t complaining’. Kids don’t complain about a lot of things that happen to them, so it’s a lazy response to a valid question 

• Plus1 1