The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

No, I mean the link to the well thought out one.  But back to topic at hand….    

Going forward I can’t wait to see your prepared and well thought out post on on the data supporting wet market theory.  

I am not supporting any theory.  My argument remains that you link things that are either not compelling or that you don't understand yourself because they're nonsense.  I can link several examples in this very thread that support both of my assertions.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

No, I mean the link to the well thought out one.  But back to topic at hand….    

Going forward I can’t wait to see your prepared and well thought out post on on the data supporting wet market theory.  

The latest research has already been linked in this thread.  It's a peer reviewed study which you just choose to blow-off since it doesn't fit your agenda.  It's where we are at at this time which if more evidence comes out pointing to another source then by all means post it.  But try to post something that has gone through scientific rigor this time.

I'll post the latest study again just so you can not read it.

https://ph.ucla.edu/news/press-release/2022/jul/ucla-researcher-s-team-finds-covid-19-tied-wildlife-sales-chinese-market

• Thanks 4
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

13 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Related to Covid indirectly.   Such a shame how this has mentally affected the young.  

Every issue in the world isn't COVID. The US school system is so screwed up its ridiculous. Over crowded schools, underpaid teachers, changes in curriculum that mean parents can't help educate at home (math in particular). Reading tests and metrics that are based on how fast a kid can read and "sight words" rather than their reading comprehension and their ability to sound out words. Grade school kids getting 0 time to run around and be active, resulting in an inability to "sit still and focus." School funding tied to special needs programs rather than general student advancement, meaning more kids are "evaluated and labeled" for dollars, rather than need. Also giving teachers a cop out for kids not advancing. - The whole system needs torn down, rebuilt, and funded appropriately, with a greater focus on 1:1 attention, greater differentiation based on learning speed (no more teaching to the lowest common denominator, let "gifted kids advance at a rate that keeps them from getting bored, and allow kids that really need the help to get it without holding everyone else back). Teachers need to be paid appropriately, so that choosing a career in teaching doesn't mean a lifetime of scraping by which would draw more high quality, talented individuals into the profession. And somehow the balance in parent/student/teacher relationships needs to be restored granting teachers the respect and authority they need to be effective educators. 

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/04/teen-stress

The study linked above was published in 2014 a full 6 years before anyone heard of Covid-19. Blaming any of this on COVID is an easy and bullcrap copout to explain away the s#!tty state of our existing education system. Nothing more than another stupid political talking point trying to score points against how the pandemic was handled. 

"The survey of adults and teens was conducted online on behalf of APA by Harris Interactive Inc. last August.

Teens reported that their stress levels during the school year far exceeded what they believe to be healthy (5.8 vs. 3.9 on a 10-point scale) and topped adults' average reported stress levels (5.8 for teens vs. 5.1 for adults). Even during the summer — from Aug. 3 to Aug. 31, 2013, when interviewing took place — teens reported their stress during the prior month at levels higher than what they believe is healthy (4.6 vs. 3.9 on a 10-point scale).

Many teens also reported feeling overwhelmed (31 percent) and depressed or sad (30 percent) as a result of stress. More than one-third of teens reported feeling tired (36 percent) and nearly one-quarter of teens (23 percent) reported skipping a meal due to stress."

This article was written in 2019. A whole year before anyone heard of COVID-19. 

https://www.developmentalscience.com/blog/2019/5/7/our-teens-are-more-stressed-than-ever

"These finding are consistent with other surveys, and I have yet to see data that counters that trend. A 2019 analysis by Jean Twenge, author of iGen and psychology professor at San Diego State University, showed that between 2005 and 2017, teens and young adults experienced a significant rise in serious psychological distress, major depression, and suicide. And a 2018 American College Health Association survey of more than 26,000 college students found that approximately 40-60% reported significant episodes of anxiety or depression during the year—an increase of about 10% from the same survey conducted in 2013."

MY BIGGEST PET PEAVE? SNOW DAYS ARE NOW "DIGITAL LEARNING DAYS." QUIT TAKING THE JOY OUT OF BEING A DAMN KID! LET THEM HAVE THE EXCITEMENT OF A SNOWSTORM AND THE JOY OF WAKING UP AND FINDING OUT YOU CAN GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY AND HAVE A DAY OFF. INSTEAD, THEY ARE EXPECTED TO SIT INFRONT OF A SCREEN AND TRY TO EDUCATE THEMSELVES WITH 0 ADULT SUPPORT, REPLACING WHAT SHOULD BE A JOYOUS DAY OF BEING A KID WITH MORE STRESS AND IDIOCY. LET THEM BE KIDS! THEY HAVE THE REST OF THEIR LIVES TO BE JOYLESS AUTOMOTONS. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Every issue in the world isn't COVID. The US school system is so screwed up its ridiculous. Over crowded schools, underpaid teachers, changes in curriculum that mean parents can't help educate at home (math in particular). Reading tests and metrics that are based on how fast a kid can read and "sight words" rather than their reading comprehension and their ability to sound out words. Grade school kids getting 0 time to run around and be active, resulting in an inability to "sit still and focus." School funding tied to special needs programs rather than general student advancement, meaning more kids are "evaluated and labeled" for dollars, rather than need. Also giving teachers a cop out for kids not advancing. - The whole system needs torn down, rebuilt, and funded appropriately, with a greater focus on 1:1 attention, greater differentiation based on learning speed (no more teaching to the lowest common denominator, let "gifted kids advance at a rate that keeps them from getting bored, and allow kids that really need the help to get it without holding everyone else back). Teachers need to be paid appropriately, so that choosing a career in teaching doesn't mean a lifetime of scraping by which would draw more high quality, talented individuals into the profession. And somehow the balance in parent/student/teacher relationships needs to be restored granting teachers the respect and authority they need to be effective educators. 

The study linked above was published in 2014 a full 6 years before anyone heard of Covid-19. Blaming any of this on COVID is an easy and bullcrap copout to explain away the s#!tty state of our existing education system. Nothing more than another stupid political talking point trying to score points against how the pandemic was handled. 

"The survey of adults and teens was conducted online on behalf of APA by Harris Interactive Inc. last August.

Teens reported that their stress levels during the school year far exceeded what they believe to be healthy (5.8 vs. 3.9 on a 10-point scale) and topped adults' average reported stress levels (5.8 for teens vs. 5.1 for adults). Even during the summer — from Aug. 3 to Aug. 31, 2013, when interviewing took place — teens reported their stress during the prior month at levels higher than what they believe is healthy (4.6 vs. 3.9 on a 10-point scale).

Many teens also reported feeling overwhelmed (31 percent) and depressed or sad (30 percent) as a result of stress. More than one-third of teens reported feeling tired (36 percent) and nearly one-quarter of teens (23 percent) reported skipping a meal due to stress."

https://www.developmentalscience.com/blog/2019/5/7/our-teens-are-more-stressed-than-ever

These finding are consistent with other surveys, and I have yet to see data that counters that trend. A 2019 analysis by Jean Twenge, author of iGen and psychology professor at San Diego State University, showed that between 2005 and 2017, teens and young adults experienced a significant rise in serious psychological distress, major depression, and suicide. And a 2018 American College Health Association survey of more than 26,000 college students found that approximately 40-60% reported significant episodes of anxiety or depression during the year—an increase of about 10% from the same survey conducted in 2013.

I agree with much of your first paragraph on the educational system.  

as far as the rest, if you are trying to say Covid hasn’t had a big affect mentally on the youth, then I can’t disagree more.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

"These finding are consistent with other surveys, and I have yet to see data that counters that trend. A 2019 analysis by Jean Twenge, author of iGen and psychology professor at San Diego State University, showed that between 2005 and 2017, teens and young adults experienced a significant rise in serious psychological distress, major depression, and suicide. And a 2018 American College Health Association survey of more than 26,000 college students found that approximately 40-60% reported significant episodes of anxiety or depression during the year—an increase of about 10% from the same survey conducted in 2013."

MY BIGGEST PET PEAVE? SNOW DAYS ARE NOW "DIGITAL LEARNING DAYS." QUIT TAKING THE JOY OUT OF BEING A DAMN KID! LET THEM HAVE THE EXCITEMENT OF A SNOWSTORM AND THE JOY OF WAKING UP AND FINDING OUT YOU CAN GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY AND HAVE A DAY OFF. INSTEAD, THEY ARE EXPECTED TO SIT INFRONT OF A SCREEN AND TRY TO EDUCATE THEMSELVES WITH 0 ADULT SUPPORT, REPLACING WHAT SHOULD BE A JOYOUS DAY OF BEING A KID WITH MORE STRESS AND IDIOCY. LET THEM BE KIDS! THEY HAVE THE REST OF THEIR LIVES TO BE JOYLESS AUTOMOTONS. 

Wanna run for school board in my district?

• Oh Yeah! 1
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

as far as the rest, if you are trying to say Covid hasn’t had a big affect mentally on the youth, then I can’t disagree more.  

I'd say social media and focus on data over learning has had a far greater impact on the mental state of our youth.

My source:  I have a front row seat to 6th, 7th, and 8th graders all day, everyday; along with having 3 middle school-aged kids of my own.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

COVID has had 0 impact on my kids as far as school performance and stress. 2 years post "shut down," their daily lives are right back where they were. The impact on my kids are the direct impact of changes in curriculum, the inability to hire quality teachers, which means my 4th grader is now operating on a high-school like schedule-rotating classes, without a room to call home, or a teacher he spends all day with. Your insistence that student mental health is based on COVID means you rejected or did not even read the 2014 study and 2019 study that I shared in my post indicating that student stress and depression levels were already at this heightened state and rising pre-pandemic. The only difference is now there is a scapegoat allowing people to escape culpability and score political points. These mental health rates among youth are a result of systemic failure of the school system not COVID. Blaming COVID allows a certain group of people to continue to ignore the issue, further neglect and underfund schools, because "this is a COVID issue and only impacts students who lived through it." - It is nothing more than a BS cop-out. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1