The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

March 27 (GMT)

• alert 7894 new cases and 89 new deaths in the United States
  • NEW YORK (from New York Governor Cuomo daily briefing):
    • Apex of hospital need could be in 21 days from now in New York
    • All hospitals need to increase capacity by 50%, some by 100%
    • Need a total of 140,000 hospital beds. Currently have 53,000 (an additional 87,000 hospital beds are needed)
    • Need a total of 40,000 ICU beds. Currently have 3,000, with 3,000 ventilators. An additional 37,000 ICU beds are needed
    • Will use college dormitories, hotels, nursing homes, and all possible space by converting it to hospitals if needed in April
    • 138,376 people have been tested
    • Schools will stay closed for an additional 2 weeks after April 1, to then reassess the situation and extend again if needed. 180 days requirement has been waived
    • "This is not going to be a short deployment [...] This is going to be weeks, and weeks, and weeks [...] This is a rescue mission you are on, to save lives. [...] You are living a moment in history that will change and forge character"

54 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

1. This is a really reassure tweet that calms me in a time of panic...

2. He's an idiot That plant never had any capability to produce the required parts. It's a vehicle assembly plant that assmebles end item components onto a car. It would take months to get them up and running.

The Tier 2 suppliers are the ones that have the capability to actually make these parts. They already have the presses and equipment to manufacture the components. It just needs to be retooled to make the new parts.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What bothers me is the pointing of fingers claiming someone personally is responsible for people dying because we didn't have 100,000 more ventilators in the US.

When you're the leader, you're always responsible. You know that, anyone that runs a good business or coaches a team or has humility and has people look up to them knows that. You hire someone bad and they f#&% up, that buck ultimately stops with you.

At least good leaders are like that. 

Trump's inaction and lies are the primary factor in what will end up as tens of thousands of deaths. 

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

March 27 (GMT)

• alert 7894 new cases and 89 new deaths in the United States
  • NEW YORK (from New York Governor Cuomo daily briefing):
    • Apex of hospital need could be in 21 days from now in New York
    • All hospitals need to increase capacity by 50%, some by 100%
    • Need a total of 140,000 hospital beds. Currently have 53,000 (an additional 87,000 hospital beds are needed)
    • Need a total of 40,000 ICU beds. Currently have 3,000, with 3,000 ventilators. An additional 37,000 ICU beds are needed
    • Will use college dormitories, hotels, nursing homes, and all possible space by converting it to hospitals if needed in April
    • 138,376 people have been tested
    • Schools will stay closed for an additional 2 weeks after April 1, to then reassess the situation and extend again if needed. 180 days requirement has been waived
    • "This is not going to be a short deployment [...] This is going to be weeks, and weeks, and weeks [...] This is a rescue mission you are on, to save lives. [...] You are living a moment in history that will change and forge character"

US about to hit 95,000 positive cases. However, New York and New Jersey account for well over half of that total...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ 

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

1. This is a really reassure tweet that calms me in a time of panic...

2. He's an idiot That plant never had any capability to produce the required parts. It's a vehicle assembly plant that assmebles end item components onto a car. It would take months to get them up and running.

The Tier 2 suppliers are the ones that have the capability to actually make these parts. They already have the presses and equipment to manufacture the components. It just needs to be retooled to make the new parts.

Even if they retool, wouldn't it be months before they would have something ready to go? I think any medical device mfg. would need to be tested and then approved by the government. I don't know what is worse, having no ventilator or having one that doesn't work right. 

Hopefully we as a country/world don't have a short term memory about this. We need to think critically about our healthcare system and where PPE/equipment is made. We are only setup for a regional events and not a world wide event like this. 

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There is? I thought the virus was identified on Dec. 31st.

I may be misremembering. I'm not finding an earlier date in December on the google, and what I'm finding seems like his first briefings on it were in early January.

3 hours ago, jaws said:

Even if they retool, wouldn't it be months before they would have something ready to go? I think any medical device mfg. would need to be tested and then approved by the government. I don't know what is worse, having no ventilator or having one that doesn't work right. 

Hopefully we as a country/world don't have a short term memory about this. We need to think critically about our healthcare system and where PPE/equipment is made. We are only setup for a regional events and not a world wide event like this. 

Yup. I mentioned it before, but it would be about a month before they would probably be retooled (absolute best case scenario) then at the very minimum a few more weeks for testing/vuyoffs/approvals. Good news is they are using the same blowers that have passed automotive cycle/durability testing so they probably don't need to retest that. Otherwise that would be a month long test I'm guessing.