The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The term “safer” that I used indicates relative to ....

I just watched a good story on CBS News Sunday Morning on the Spanish flew. The big take away was that it wouldn’t have been nearly a bad if the government had been honest with the public. 

Today, we have more technology to fight this so it won’t be as bad. But, once again, we have a government that’s not being honest and that probably means more people will get sick and more people will die. 

So, do people feel safer with this President?

I'm just really annoyed...

My boys' last basketball tournament was supposed to be this weekend in Fremont: cancelled...

I'm currently feeling like I have a cold, but feel like it would be useless to go anywhere unless I get really bad because tests aren't available for people like me...

I spent all day yesterday at a wrestling meet where a bunch of middle schoolers were fist bumping me all day...

My wife got an email yesterday that the woman in Omaha was in the ER at her hospital multiple times in the last couple of weeks before finally being admitted to UNMC...

I know that hygiene and being smart fall on me, but it just seems like our government isn't even trying to help.  Healthcare providers can't fight this alone.  And the whole "only 1-2 percent of people have life threatening complications" shtick is getting old. Would we feel safe sending kids to prom if we were told "2 out of every 100 kids who attend prom will die in a drunk driving car accident afterword"?  If those were real numbers I would be appalled if the local police weren't giving kids breathelizers and setting up checkpoints...

• Plus1 1

Some good information on what to expect the next few weeks:

Thread begins here

Unraveled here

THREAD: On #Coronavirus, we may be entering a period of accelerating cases. The country could look very different over next two weeks. We’ll get through this, but need to take steps now to limit the scope and impact of virus. There are things we can do now to help ourselves. 1/n
2/n In last 10 days Italy diagnosed 95% of total cases they now report; South Korea 85%. 2 weeks ago, Italy had just 9 cases. 7 weeks ago, China reported 50 cases. The point: once the epidemics are discovered, they’ve been underway. Case counts grow quickly. Same likely true here
3/n What should we do now? Moving quickly and aggressively to mitigate spread, reduce the scope of the epidemic here, continue to ready the healthcare system, work with cities and states to develop a uniform, systematic response; provide financial assistance to help these efforts
4/n Mitigation: The goal is to reduce the number of cases at the peak of the epidemic. This extends the length of the epidemic, but can push the total number of cases at any one time below the point where the healthcare system gets exhausted, improving outcomes for patients.
5/n We need a uniform and timely approach to mitigation and social distancing that local, state officials can follow and clear set of principles on when to adopt the measures. School closures, event cancellations, other aggressive steps need to be implemented now in certain areas
6/n We must support affected cities, states with financial assistance. The feds must strongly encourage states and cities that have outbreaks to take mitigation steps to help protect nation. But localities that take on these burdens should be compensated for hardships they incur
7/n Simple measures still matter. Hand washing, avoiding crowded indoor spaces, cleaning surfaces, keeping people more apart where appropriate. Businesses and individuals are responding with prudent and measured action, and need to step up these efforts.
8/n There will be hardship especially among the vulnerable. We need to consider financial assistance; first aid through existing programs then perhaps a bigger supplemental. Many people can’t easily absorb missed work, closed schools. We must assist them for the measures to work
9/n Businesses need to do their part by offering flexibility to workers in order to make these mitigation measures effective - telework, flexibility when schools are closed and parents must tend to children, avoidance of unnecessary travel especially to and from areas of spread.
10/n We will get through this. Some of these measures at social distancing, improved hygiene techniques, could persist. The epidemic will abate but outbreaks could occur again until we have a vaccine. Ultimately technology will vanquish this disease.
11/n This is a dangerous virus. We have faced worse, and prevailed. People will suffer and die. The most vulnerable are at greatest risk. We must all work together to protect them. The next few months will be hard, but we will preserve life, and eventually conquer this pathogen
  • Thanks 1

Went to the store today here in Des Moines, Clorox wipes GONE, hand sanitizer GONE, Toilet Paper LIMITED, but thankfully I pretty much always keep extra stock of these things anyways. :D Oh and ZERO rice minus two 25 lb bags of Jasmine rice I bought for a high school friend who's family has an Asian Restaurant. They can't get any Jasmine rice from their supplier I guess. So I saved their restaurant for a few days. ;) People are a tad crazy lol

2 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Went to the store today here in Des Moines, Clorox wipes GONE, hand sanitizer GONE, Toilet Paper LIMITED, but thankfully I pretty much always keep extra stock of these things anyways. :D Oh and ZERO rice minus two 25 lb bags of Jasmine rice I bought for a high school friend who's family has an Asian Restaurant. They can't get any Jasmine rice from their supplier I guess. So I saved their restaurant for a few days. ;) People are a tad crazy lol

The Omaha grocery store I go to still looked normal 2 days ago. So I decided to buy some extra TP and campbell’s soup. I figure if I have a 1 week supply I can make it thru this temporary zombie invasion. 

• Haha 2

The virus may very well bring down the trump admin in Nov

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/486533-judd-gregg-trump-sails-into-the-perfect-political-storm

Now the question for the Trump administration is: Have they done enough to prepare America for this outbreak and the mass concern it will engender?

Most Americans will feel that the answer is no.

This is human nature. Someone needs to be blamed.

The buck does stop with the president on this one.

The president and his people also have an abysmal track record when it comes to preparing for pandemics.

The budget he recently submitted to Congress savaged the BioShield account. This is the program that was set up after the SARS epidemic and anthrax events well over a decade ago to allow the federal government to fund research on pharmaceutical responses to biological attacks or a pandemic outbreak.

The program was needed because this type of research is extremely expensive and has little commercial upside. The drugs developed are unique and narrowly targeted.

Thus, in order to get this research up and running, Congress and the prior administrations created the program. In this instance, Congress actually anticipated a serious issue and began addressing it effectively.

But the president and his people got it wrong. In their usual naive and uninformed style, they have tried to eviscerate the program.

This action came in the face of significant warnings from the intelligence community that a biological attack is one of the primary threats we face from terrorists. And now we know a pandemic is also a primary threat.

The president and his people have mismanaged this issue. The electorate will take note.

Two key side-effects of the coronavirus, beyond the physical, are the general angst it is creating in the nation’s population and, relatedly, the effect on the economy.

An international economic recession seems likely to follow the shutdown of the second largest economy in the world, China, and the dramatic disruption that is occurring in a European Union that had already been showing signs of slowdown.

Recession is definitely in the wind.

This significant economic slowdown will mostly like be occurring with full force by this fall, during the election season.

This is not good for the president’s reelection  hopes.

Some rumors going around that OPS (and then all schools in/around Omaha) will be shutting down and doing E-learning to make sure that required amount of days are met...

I can't f#&%ing wait to see what E-learning gets done for PE!

Subject Line:  PE Instructions 

(Open email)

- Class, please ummmm, like, well, just do some push ups.

Thanks!

PE Teacher Johnson

• Haha 2