knapplc

The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Anyone else get the CDC/tax payer funded Trump campaign mailer this weekend?

Yep. Saw his name on it, glanced at the back, and tossed it in the recycle bin.

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Anyone else get the CDC/tax payer funded Trump campaign mailer this weekend?

I got it on Friday. I was wondering if it was only sent to swing States, but I guess everyone is getting it.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is just not possible! The Netherlands is perfection!  Everything about that country is perfect, everything they do is perfect, their healthcare system is perfect!

It shows that a pandemic can overwhlem even a good healthcare system,and also that simply letting the virus run it's course and counting on herd immunity isn't looking like a good idea.

Just now, RedDenver said:

It shows that a pandemic can overwhlem even a good healthcare system,and also that simply letting the virus run it's course and counting on herd immunity isn't looking like a good idea.

Ha...yeah it seems like it was the worst idea!

I also think I am correct as to why they went that route.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I also think I am correct as to why they went that route.

I'm sure you do. You basing that on anything other than your own preconceived notions?

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I'm sure you do. You basing that on anything other than your own preconceived notions?

I am basing it on what I would do, correct.

Everyone thought it was not a young persons disease

Everyone knows you can build up an immunity to things over time

It is way more cost effective to have people fight it off on their own and not run to hospitals. 

Number of covid-19 deaths yesterday was 362, down from 525 the day before. Hopefully it's a sign that the measures taken a couple weeks ago are working.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Number of covid-19 deaths yesterday was 362, down from 525 the day before. Hopefully it's a sign that the measures taken a couple weeks ago are working.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday and was hoping that was a true number and not just because it was a Sunday and documentation of deaths hadn't been done.  But, so far today, we are only up to 31.  So, hopefully it really is a good sign.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

That's misleading...we're only testing about 90-100k people daily to diagnose them nationwide.  That's horrid.  If someone dies before being tested, how much time do you think a swamped doctor or morgue doctor is going to waste testing that dead person?

Morgues are backed up and there aren't enough doctors around to pronounce cause of death currently...plus the testing for patients that are dying are taking 10-15 days to come in.

Considering we went from 900 deaths on Wednesday last week to 2,428 deaths by Sunday...I don't see this thing slowing down for the next few weeks at least.  NYC hospitals agree with that saying they expect the peak in the next 2-3 weeks.

Source for my info:  https://covidtracking.com/us-daily/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, I saw that yesterday and was hoping that was a true number and not just because it was a Sunday and documentation of deaths hadn't been done.  But, so far today, we are only up to 31.  So, hopefully it really is a good sign.

Even if the numbers of deaths were the same instead of increasing each day, that would be a good sign.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

That's misleading...we're only testing about 90-100k people daily to diagnose them nationwide.  That's horrid.  If someone dies before being tested, how much time do you think a swamped doctor or morgue doctor is going to waste testing that dead person?

Morgues are backed up and there aren't enough doctors around to pronounce cause of death currently...plus the testing for patients that are dying are taking 10-15 days to come in.

Considering we went from 900 deaths on Wednesday last week to 2,428 deaths by Sunday...I don't see this thing slowing down for the next few weeks at least.  NYC hospitals agree with that saying they expect the peak in the next 2-3 weeks.

You might be right. It's only one data point. But since the time between exposure and death is roughly 2 weeks and a lot of the US implemented social distancing and other measures about 2 weeks ago, this is when we'd expect to start seeing the death rate be affected.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Unfortunately I think this is more likely than things slowing down. Social distancing has been strict in some areas and loose in others. I don't see that as being a recipe for success so I am weary to say that's the reason the numbers were down for a single day. Deaths in Italy had appeared to level off at 500 at one point because the deaths dropped for 1 day. Now they have recorded 800 deaths for a few days in a row.