The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, sho said:

How about comparing trump to Moon Jae-in, the leader of S. Korea.   Both countries had a diagnosis at roughly the same time.

It's slightly more comparable, but again it's two different countries and cultures.  Vastly different actually.

Personally I think Trump should have just put us on lockdown on Feb 1st.  But yeah, Hindsight.

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

Alright, then do you think Trump's incompetence affects Cuomo's ability to effectively manage New York's outbreak?

No each state's governor is handling it differently.  NY is unfortunately a petri dish right now.

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's slightly more comparable, but again it's two different countries and cultures.  Vastly different actually.

Personally I think Trump should have just put us on lockdown on Feb 1st.  But yeah, Hindsight.

No each state's governor is handling it differently.  NY is unfortunately a petri dish right now.

You are truly one of the few around here who will go out of his way to give Trump more slack on a lot of things.

Not trying to fault you for it I just find it interesting. To me it's very clear the buck stops at the top and his mismanagement has drastically hampered an effective response to this within our own shores.

• Plus1 3
On 3/31/2020 at 6:03 AM, QMany said:

Seoul has 9.7M people... they are at 38 m elevation!

image.thumb.jpeg.e9b7a05735f7dadfdc3f97ed5ad3f1f4.jpeg

A minority of this country nominated an absolute idiot, and he’s in charge of our pandemic response. God help us. 

Careful: you'll end up in a thread in the 'Shed. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You are truly one of the few around here who will go out of his way to give Trump more slack on a lot of things.

Not trying to fault you for it I just find it interesting. To me it's very clear the buck stops at the top and his mismanagement has drastically hampered an effective response to this within our own shores.

And when I talk to my conservative friends they think I'm being a libturd.  People infer what they want regardless of how you explain it.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

And when I talk to my conservative friends they think I'm being a libturd.  People infer what they want regardless of how you explain it.

Of course. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Just don't let either side make up your mind for you. Listen to both of them but use your own judgment and critical thinking to decide things for yourself. Independent thought is good.

I for one appreciate having your perspective around here even if we bicker a lot and disagree about Trump.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Redux said:

There is, because none of them could have foreseen how this would go even though knapp has a bunch of articles.

Except that's specifically what the articles state. Mock pandemic trials we're done as a test of our preparedness years before (Even one last year for a corona family respritory virus). They went about how things are going now. They clearly outlined the weaknesses we are currently seeing. Our officials failed to act on, or maybe chose to ignore, those findings. So we are where we are because of those inactions

It's public record and public knowledge now. It kind of sounds like you want to ignore that. Maybe I'm not understanding you though... It's not that we need hindsight. It's that we had foresight a d ignored it.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
Just now, Danny Bateman said:

Just don't let either side make up your mind for you. Listen to both of them but use your own judgment and critical thinking to decide things for yourself. Independent thought is good.

I for one appreciate having your perspective around here even if we bicker a lot and disagree about Trump.

Always try to.  Guilty of letting both sides persuade me before looking at all the facts though, I just flat out don't have the amouny of time or patience to look into EVERY meaningless issue like some folks do.  Wish I did sometimes.

But I do appreciate you and others being human about it, and I don't even disagree with a lot of the stuff said about Trump, I just don't obsess over the guy.  I know he's a loose canon and talks out his a$$.

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

Except that's specifically what the articles state. Mock pandemic trials we're done as a test of our preparedness years before (Even one last year for a corona family respritory virus). They went about how things are going now. They clearly outlined the weaknesses we are currently seeing. Our officials failed to act on, or maybe chose to ignore, those findings. So we are where we are because of those inactions

It's public record and public knowledge now. It kind of sounds like you want to ignore that. Maybe I'm not understanding you though... It's not that we need hindsight. It's that we had foresight a d ignored it.

My argument is any amount of preparation wouldn't have been enough.  That's not me giving Trunp a pass or defending him although I understand people want to take it that way because it makes attacking my posts easier.  People were going to use this as ammo no matter how well we prepared.  Had Trump put us on lockdown and we had the lowest case to death ratio in the world people would still be calling for his head.  You think I'm thrilled about this?  I'm terrified, I have 3 kids 4 and under and it's getting closer and closer to my tiny area and I sure as hell wish it had been taken more seriously from the get go.

9 minutes ago, Redux said:

My argument is any amount of preparation wouldn't have been enough.  That's not me giving Trunp a pass or defending him although I understand people want to take it that way because it makes attacking my posts easier.  People were going to use this as ammo no matter how well we prepared.  Had Trump put us on lockdown and we had the lowest case to death ratio in the world people would still be calling for his head.  You think I'm thrilled about this?  I'm terrified, I have 3 kids 4 and under and it's getting closer and closer to my tiny area and I sure as hell wish it had been taken more seriously from the get go.

Some people would have attacked him no matter what, yes, but the people in this thread have only criticized the reality we know. He fired the pandemic team, data from simulated pandemics went unheaded, no preparation was done until it was already too late to make a difference, red States are getting what they want while blue states are not. Those are the facts.

Obviously any amount of prep in 3 months wouldn't have been enough to stop this in it's tracks, but it would have made a huge difference. Now we are where we are because of inaction. If we had the lowest case ratio this place would be signing a different tune entirely. I can guarantee you that.

• Plus1 4
7 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

When you tell him this, he ignores you Danny.

He put me on ignore list for asking him to be logical and look at both sides of the fence.  Also, to actually verify his sources for news.

His sources for news are his conservative friend and his liberal friend. He talks to both of them, hears their sides, and makes decisions based on that.

I should find that quote and frame it. It's amazing.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1