The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 minutes ago, sho said:

Just been told by a co-worker that a confirmed case of a student at Elkhorn South HS.   Kids are (based solely on mine) are disgusting in their hygiene habits.  I'm sure there will be many who have it now in NW Omaha.

Really?  I have not heard this yet but thanks for the update!  

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Really?  I have not heard this yet but thanks for the update!  

Co-worker just came in my office about 20 minutes ago and said that a student had traveled to Italy earlier this year and has, of today, tested positive.  She was upset because said student was in her child's class.  Which of course means she's probably been exposed, as have I and my kids.  Which, if that transitive property is true on how easy it is to spread the virus, Bellevue has now been exposed.

3 minutes ago, sho said:

Co-worker just came in my office about 20 minutes ago and said that a student had traveled to Italy earlier this year and has, of today, tested positive.  She was upset because said student was in her child's class.  Which of course means she's probably been exposed, as have I and my kids.  Which, if that transitive property is true on how easy it is to spread the virus, Bellevue has now been exposed.

Dang. Luckily, for kids & teachers, those most affected by this are far older. Hopefully it's not much more than an inconvenience for everyone at the schools, but for those kids' parents and grandparents, or anyone with underlying medical issues... Hoo boy.

4 minutes ago, sho said:

Dang...well...if that is all true and I assume it is...I would think Elk Public School will be closing up here shortly...Are they are spring break next week?

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

The numbers have to be inflated :dunno...this outbreak has been going on since the first of the year, and here are today's figures, from CNN:

image.png.8307d30fc6c3218f460068368ec7cdf1.png

Not only are the UNMC numbers NOT inflated, they're a best-case scenario.

480,000 deaths out of 96 million infected is about  .5%, as they're saying.

The numbers you're posting here - 4,000 deaths out of 113,000 infected, are about 3%.

If we approach 3% deaths, that's upwards of 2 million people dead out of 96 million infected.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Not only are the UNMC numbers NOT inflated, they're a best-case scenario.

480,000 deaths out of 96 million infected is about  .5%, as they're saying.

The numbers you're posting here - 4,000 deaths out of 113,000 infected, are about 3%.

If we approach 3% deaths, that's upwards of 2 million people dead out of 96 million infected.

i get that your math is correct knapp...but did someone misplace a decimal point somewhere? how is UNMC getting to 96 MILLION cases in the US when there have only been 113 THOUSAND cases worldwide thus far...?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

i get that your math is correct knapp...but did someone misplace a decimal point somewhere? how is UNMC getting to 96 MILLION cases in the US when there have only been 113 THOUSAND cases worldwide thus far...?

Because that's how pandemics spread. We have instituted zero safety controls, no travel restrictions - we aren't even testing people like other countries.

There are people with this virus among us right now. They're going to stores, using touch pad devices that others are using, touching door knobs, shaking hands.  There are no controls over anything. You have to ask yourself, why wouldn't it spread? And if it's spreading, and we don't even have the ability to test people, why would those infected not keep going out in public, going to work, interacting with others?

The people putting these numbers out aren't trying to scare us, they're trying to educate. They're doing their best to mitigate the situation in spite of zero help from the feds.

This is likely to get way, way worse before it gets any better.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

96 million is less than 1/3 of the population and this thing is just getting started and will increase exponentially, and we aren’t shutting down an entire region like China. Even if we were, what region would it be at this point? It’s in more than half of U.S. states now.

96 million is just about 30% of the US population...

South Korea, which was the largest outbreak hit after China, is on the downhill slide. They have reported a total of 7,300 cases and 50 deaths.They have a population of 52 million. There are 350 million folks in the US, or seven times SKorea....so this pandemic is going to exponentially hit us here but not elsewhere?

I think a LOT of this is being conflated to fit agendas, and incite panic. Why the hell do people need 70 multipack rolls of toilet paper from Costco? lots of businesses making lots of money as people go batsh*t crazy buying stuff for the forced quarantine to come

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

96 million is just about 30% of the US population...

South Korea, which was the largest outbreak hit after China, is on the downhill slide. They have reported a total of 7,300 cases and 50 deaths.They have a population of 52 million. There are 350 million folks in the US, or seven times SKorea....so this pandemic is going to exponentially hit us here but not elsewhere?

South Korea has millions of testing kits, they have instituted social controls to limit exposure, they even developed drive-thru testing to minimize the impact of infection on medical personnel.

We have done nothing.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1