The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Well there you went and lost me, Gov Ricketts.  Just when I thought you were doing a solid job with COVID, you go to the WH and baselessly kiss Trumps a$$ just like most any other pathetic GOP politicians do these days.  Thought you might have more integrity and be more self-respecting than that.  I guess I was wrong.

https://www.omaha.com/news/state_and_regional/ricketts-praises-trumps-leadership-at-white-house-roundtable-on-reopening-economy/article_46a3a3a8-b685-5d2a-96ec-a4184d7f33a5.html

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Well there you went and lost me, Gov Ricketts.  Just when I thought you were doing a solid job with COVID, you go to the WH and baselessly kiss Trumps a$$ just like most any other pathetic GOP politicians do these days.  Thought you might have more integrity and be more self-respecting than that.  I guess I was wrong.

https://www.omaha.com/news/state_and_regional/ricketts-praises-trumps-leadership-at-white-house-roundtable-on-reopening-economy/article_46a3a3a8-b685-5d2a-96ec-a4184d7f33a5.html

I got about two sentences in and couldn't read anymore.

• Plus1 1

Trump says he doesn't joke about slowing down testing. 

The video

https://www.c-span.org/video/?473328-1/president-trump-protesters-deface-monuments-face-long-term-jail-sentences

The story

https://www.yahoo.com/news/don-t-kid-trump-says-143323056.html

President Donald Trump on Tuesday insisted he was serious when he revealed that he had directed his administration to slow coronavirus testing in the United States, shattering the defenses of senior White House aides who argued Trump’s remarks were made in jest.

“I don’t kid. Let me just tell you. Let me make it clear,” Trump told reporters, when pressed on whether his comments at a campaign event Saturday in Tulsa, Okla., were intended as a joke.

“We have got the greatest testing program anywhere in the world. We test better than anybody in the world. Our tests are the best in the world, and we have the most of them. By having more tests, we find more cases,” he continued.

Administration officials as high ranking as Vice President Mike Pence have scrambled in recent days to clean up Trump’s statements from his weekend rally, where he reprised his dubious logic regarding testing rates before an arena of supporters.

“When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people,” Trump said during the rally. “You’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down, please.’”

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro asserted Sunday the president never issued such an explicit directive, telling CNN that Trump’s remarks were “tongue-in-cheek.”

“It was a comment that he made in jest,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said at a news briefing Monday, adding: “Any suggestion that testing has been curtailed is not rooted in fact.”

Even Pence sought to manage the political fallout, telling governors during a conference call Monday that Trump’s testing comments were merely a “passing observation,” according to a CBS News report.

But in an interview Monday with Scripps Networks, Trump did not deny asking his administration to curtail coronavirus testing and instead contended that “if we did slow it down, we wouldn’t show nearly as many cases.”

Pressed again Tuesday on the president’s opinions of coronavirus testing, McEnany refused to concede that Trump’s statements were made in earnest. “He was making a serious point, but he was using sarcasm to do that,” she told reporters.

More than 120,000 Americans have already died as a result of Covid-19, and the total number of confirmed infections nationwide has surged beyond 2.3 million. Although public health experts universally agree the U.S. needs more coronavirus testing, not less, Trump remained adamant in his reasoning Tuesday.

“Cases are going up in the U.S. because we are testing far more than any other country, and ever expanding. With smaller testing we would show fewer cases!” he tweeted, later describing testing as a “double-edged sword” to reporters.

“In one way, it tells you you have cases,” Trump said. “In another way, you find out where the cases are, and you do a good job. We are doing a great job. We have never been credited for it. We’re doing the best testing job anywhere in the world.”

Those remarks by the president, as he prepared to depart for Arizona, came roughly an hour before Dr. Anthony Fauci, the country’s top infectious disease expert, and other senior health officials within the administration were scheduled to testify before Congress about the ongoing pandemic.

At a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing, Fauci told lawmakers that, to his knowledge, no members of the White House coronavirus task force had been asked to scale back testing.

• Thanks 1