The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

American exceptionalism is dead.

We have plenty of great people doing great things, but we have to admit that the system itself is less than special. There are now first, second, and third world countries who do the important stuff better than we do. 

We can't blame it all on a single President. 

But....uhm....he also represents everything wrong with us, and makes everything he touches worse.

• Plus1 5

21 minutes ago, jaws said:

I think most of our "aid" is usually tied to political considerations. This isn't anything new and it is rather unfortunate. 

Yes, most aid is quid pro quo for American interests, that's normal. But not individual political, corruption, election considerations. Unfortunate, indeed.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, QMany said:

Yes, most aid is quid pro quo for American interests, that's normal. But not individual political, corruption, election considerations. Unfortunate, indeed.

I just hope people are as willing to call it out when it happens in the future with a different president because we haven't in the past.

• Thanks 1

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens in the next week or two.  The number of cases is clearly going up.  And...before someone says it's because of testing...no....the number of hospitalizations is going up also in the states that are increasing.  

The number of deaths have continued to go down or remain relatively low.  So, I'm interested in seeing if the deaths increase.

If they don't...why?  The number have decreased steadily while the number of cases remained fairly high.  This might be because of a couple reasons:

a)  the cases are more spread out throughout the country so hospitals aren't as overwhelmed like they were in New York and New Jersey.  This allows them to actually treat patients more carefully.

b)  The medical community has learned how to treat the patients better to save their lives.

I'm guessing it's a combination fo the two.

Of course, this doesn't mean much to the people who are getting it and end up with long term/life long lung and health problems.  Many of them are young or even kids.

• Plus1 1

I am gonna call it now...school will either start with kids in the building and quickly go back to virtual classes...or they will start with virtual classes.

Either way, we will be back to virtual classes.  

So many new cases, the peaceful protesting info is just starting to come in and they are clearly not slowing down their protests...

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am gonna call it now...school will either start with kids in the building and quickly go back to virtual classes...or they will start with virtual classes.

Either way, we will be back to virtual classes.  

So many new cases, the peaceful protesting info is just starting to come in and they are clearly not slowing down their protests...

Protests are one thing, yes it could contribute, but people are outside and generally wearing masks. The story about the woman in Florida who went to a bar with 15 friends and all 16 got covid is the source of the fire. People in bars and restaurants with out masks, having air circulated throughout the building. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Protests are one thing, yes it could contribute, but people are outside and generally wearing masks. The story about the woman in Florida who went to a bar with 15 friends and all 16 got covid is the source of the fire. People in bars and restaurants with out masks, having air circulated throughout the building. 

Dude, those protesters are running around , walking around, touching the faces, touching each other, breathing heavy on each other...students at summer school can't keep them on and they are sitting down in the AC and chilling.  Those protesters are taking those masks off constantly.  

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude, those protesters are running around , walking around, touching the faces, touching each other, breathing heavy on each other...students at summer school can't keep them on and they are sitting down in the AC and chilling.  Those protesters are taking those masks off constantly.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/24/883017035/what-contact-tracing-may-tell-about-cluster-spread-of-the-coronavirus

• Plus1 1