The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

This is funny!

I am up at school at the moment and was taking to another teacher.  He thinks we make it two weeks until we are all back online.

Man, maybe I need to readjust my expectations; I was guessing we'd make it through September. 

2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Do the mandate, fine people starting at $25 the first time and double the fine each additional time.  If the person has a fine for wearing a mask, charge them a $10,000 fine if they get it and spread it.  Done.....

I think you found a way for Ricketts to lessen the property tax burden in Nebraska.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Man, maybe I need to readjust my expectations; I was guessing we'd make it through September. 

I was up at school today for my summer school class...and there was a little kid basketball camp going on...50 kids (or so) 3rd-5th grade...no masks.

1 hour ago, commando said:

k.....any doctors here to comment on this?  this guy wants his sister taken off the ventilator because he thinks it is killing her.   says it's not corona that is killing her but the ventilator.  

Do you really need a doctor to comment? Just read the guy's twitter feed. There have been several articles showing that lots of people on the ventilators still die. It's a final effort to keep someone from dying. And the first dumbass reply on there is someone saying he knows several conservative lawyers who can help, as if this is a political issue.

4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

This man is in charge of a U.S. state.

Kind of glad I don't work in MO anymore, tbh.

The GOP is on a death march. Forget death panels. No panels are needed when you have idiots like this leading govt - starting wt Trump & down. May the GOP die this Nov and hopefully return as a respectable party again.  If not - I'm ready for a new party that can be adult enough to help the Dems govern. 

1 hour ago, commando said:

k.....any doctors here to comment on this?  this guy wants his sister taken off the ventilator because he thinks it is killing her.   says it's not corona that is killing her but the ventilator.  

I have run many ventilators. If a patient is on a ventilator it means their airway is compromised or their body can't take in enough volume/oxygen required for life. If family has power of attorney they could sign a DNI and they should compassionately extubate. If the vent is medically necessary the patient wouldn't last long after. I also don't think this story is true....

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, commando said:

Hey commando,

Yes, this video caught my eye back in early April. This NYC doctor was probably the first one I saw that said C19 causes symptoms more akin to hypoxia rather than something you'd use a ventilator for.

You use a ventilator when the muscles around the chest can't breathe for you.

But this doctor was probably the first I saw that said this was potentially not a good route to go.

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

Hey commando,

Yes, this video caught my eye back in early April. This NYC doctor was probably the first one I saw that said C19 causes symptoms more akin to hypoxia rather than something you'd use a ventilator for.

But this doctor was probably the first I saw that said this was potentially not a good route to go.

It's been four months since this video. Surely we would have gobs of empirical evidence showing this to be true or not true by now. Has this guy updated his findings?

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

Hey commando,

Like you said you can use a vent for a patient pulling low volumes, but you also would for a patient that can't protect an airway, or isn't spontaneously breathing - we definitely use a vent for hypoxia - volume + 100% oxygen is sometimes the only way to get diffusion at the base of the lungs in a stiffening situation (like ARDS), or a fluid situation (like edema). I think the strategy to fight the hypoxia with every other tool in the bag, then ventilators last, has been a good strategy though. There are still going to be many cases where the options are: vent or death; and sometimes the vent is just prolonging the inevitable. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1