The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

If you read both, Trump has proposed budget cuts to the CDC an NIH in previous budgets, but bipartisan support has actually increased funding overall. A specific program for Ebola, which had us working with countries to coordinate efforts, was funded by congress under an emergency order, but not continued by reallocating budget from congress to meet a specific need in later years from multiple US agencies providing the resources. 

38 minutes ago, funhusker said:

@BigRedBuster

Your last 2 posts seem to contradict.  One says Trump isn't at fault because the budgets were still passed because Congress intervened, and the other says the CDC lost funding because Trump did not reallocate funds appropriately.

You didn't comment on either, so was just curious if you did have comment or were just sharing Tweets?

In an effort to stay informed, I posted both.  @deedsker summed it up well.

Basically, Trump has wanted to defund and dismantle much of the CDC.  He was successful at dismantling much of our network of working with other countries on issues like this. 

Luckily, we have had a bipartisan effort in congress to fight against it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Basically, Trump has wanted to defund and dismantle much of the CDC.  He was successful at dismantling much of our network of working with other countries on issues like this. 

Gotcha.

I have no qualms with trying to understand nuances of situations, because it isn't clear cut.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

What a dufus we have in the WH.  It is beyond belief when we think of some of the stupid or should I say subversive things he has done. Some of it has nothing to do wt left vs right - but good vs evil -  in the case of this dismantling of the CDC he is in violation of any fiduciary responsibilities to protect the population of the country.  He is negligent in his performance.  Impeachable. 

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Gotcha.

I have no qualms with trying to understand nuances of situations, because it isn't clear cut.  

General though, headlines suck; read at least a couple paragraphs. 

The CNN article is a prime example of the headline trying to drum up emotional responses and push their narrative, but the actual article basically says what every other article on CDC and NIH information releases and response to the outbreak.

Headline /= Information (I feel like this is the problem with CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc. They all want the headline to push their emotional agenda, but past the headline they mostly all tell the same tale.)

44 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

What a dufus we have in the WH.  It is beyond belief when we think of some of the stupid or should I say subversive things he has done. Some of it has nothing to do wt left vs right - but good vs evil -  in the case of this dismantling of the CDC he is in violation of any fiduciary responsibilities to protect the population of the country.  He is negligent in his performance.  Impeachable. 

Except that the populations that would be hit hardest by this virus (should it become a widespread, uncontrolled pandemic) would be the lower class and minorities, so Trump wouldn't be considered negligent by vermin like McConnell; he'd be doing the "Lord's Work". 

After all, dead people can't vote unless they're in the South and they were white. 

CDC in China put out their numbers. If you’re under 50, fatality rate tops out at 0.4%. It steadily increases from there. 1.3% for people 50-59, 3.6% for people 60-69, 8.0% for people 70-79 and 14+% for those 80 and over. Like wise If you have a underlying condition like CV disease, diabetes, COPD, or cancer the fatality rate jumps from 0.9% to 10+%. Scary stuff, especially for the elderly and immunocompromised. Best case scenario  this is as deadly as the flu, which kills many Americans. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

CDC in China put out their numbers. If you’re under 50, fatality rate tops out at 0.4%. It steadily increases from there. 1.3% for people 50-59, 3.6% for people 60-69, 8.0% for people 70-79 and 14+% for those 80 and over. Like wise If you have a underlying condition like CV disease, diabetes, COPD, or cancer the fatality rate jumps from 0.9% to 10+%. Scary stuff, especially for the elderly and immunocompromised. Best case scenario  this is as deadly as the flu, which kills many Americans. 

great news.   my kids should be ok....but i am 57 and diabetic so odds are a bit tougher for me.